Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Mimsy Were the Borogroves

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mylittleshadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:34 am
So what do you folks think of the short story?

I just reread it & find it rather spooky, especially--highlight for spoilers:

the way the children just vanish at the end. It isn't clear whether or not there is anyone waiting for them in the other world/dimension that they manage to reach. In fact, it seems otherwise since the guy who sent the boxes back "waited and waited" and didn't get results. Surely two children from the past would have counted?

It's also quite interesting that a number of short stories from the time period seem to play on the idea that children are essentially alien and (in some cases) rather scary & that adult control over the world is a fragile matter.

The world might, at any moment, shift into another paradigm out of our control, and it might be our own children that cause this. Wonder what was happening that inspired that particular brand of worry?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:39 am
I agree with most reviews of the story--Mimsy Were the Borogoves, written by Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore is a science fiction classic.
Many science fiction fans consider the story to be years ahead of its time, (it was written in 1943) as Mimsy Were the Borogoves discusses not only time travel, but non-Euclidean mathematics, alternative logic, behaviorism, and child development.
If you would like to read more science fiction by these authors, check out the anthology Two Handed Engine, published by Centipede Press and available through Science Fiction Book Club.

godhi

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:25 am
Where can you find this online? I want to read it.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games