Asians, math, and school Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jelai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:40 pm
What's up with Asians and math??
I really hate this stereotype that all Asians are good at math and are nerds and high achievers.

Because I'm the only Asian in my school stuck in a low-level Geometry class right now. gonk
All of my other Asian friends have either Algebra honors, Pre-calculus, Calulus AP, etc.

gonk

And most of them all have higher-level classes.
They have all Honors, and are going for the Honors diploma while I'm just going for the Advanced diploma...which is at least better than the standard diploma.

But sometimes I feel so left out because I only have 3 Honors classes right now. And there was never I time I've gotten straight A's. Sometimes I came so close, but never in my life did I get straight A's.

And this is the first time this year that I've ever gotten C's on my transcript. gonk

Do you sometimes feel left out (or not >>; ) when it comes to academics and your Asian peers?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:25 pm
Lol dont feel left out. Many Asians can fail classes. Although i am not an example, but my brother is. I think he's going through that phase where he is trying to fit in. In this case he turns into a bad ###. But where i used to live, i knew many people who actually tried hard to pass the class, but didn't because they didn't understand anything. You have 3 honors classes and you should be proud of yourself. You shouldn't compare yourself to others.  

Lillian Rayne

Jelai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:55 pm
AznBabygirl101
Lol dont feel left out. Many Asians can fail classes. Although i am not an example, but my brother is. I think he's going through that phase where he is trying to fit in. In this case he turns into a bad ###. But where i used to live, i knew many people who actually tried hard to pass the class, but didn't because they didn't understand anything. You have 3 honors classes and you should be proud of yourself. You shouldn't compare yourself to others.

aye.
thanks for the advice.
that helped out a lot. =]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:29 pm
I have the same problem too...
Its with Math and Science...
My friends maybe at a higher level than I am but it doesn't bother me to much, until my mom compares me to my friends...
That puts me down and I feel like I'll never catch up.
Well I know one thing is that I won't be able to catch up to them.
My friends have my back I think [Don't let me fall.! x]]So they'll help me out sometimes.
In my opinion as long as you graduate thats good enough. Right.? =/

t i n y. riceball_

Newbie Noob

Lillian Rayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:53 pm
t i n y. riceball_
My friends maybe at a higher level than I am but it doesn't bother me to much, until my mom compares me to my friends...
My friends have my back I think [Don't let me fall.! x]]So they'll help me out sometimes.

Right. Tell your mom that she let you into this world, and she should accept you the way you are. If she likes the other kids better, than she can be their mom.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:27 pm
.^. Thanks.
I tend to keep away from my parents so theres no conflict going on. =/
But shes changed. I think.
Just don't mention anything about grades around her.

t i n y. riceball_

Newbie Noob

BlackHammer888

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:30 pm
I could really care less about stereotypes. I got 98% in my math class right now lol  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:59 pm
t i n y. riceball_

*sigh*
I know, huh? =/
Why do parents assume that every kid wants to go Harvard, Yale, Oxford, etc. top universities?

Jeez doesn't even matter if the university holds a prestigious title or not.
Any good university would do.
It's your career after that counts.
*shrug*

And then there's also some of my friends that are so hardcore about it...sometimes they compare me to themselves... gonk

Jelai

Baked-Not Fried

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:37 am
That's totally a stereotype. A few of my Asian friends aren't doing so hot in math either. It also really ticks me off that people are totally negative when they see an Asian getting beat on a math quiz. Like, I'm pulling a 96, and if they get like, 1% higher than me on a quiz, they totally rub it in my face.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:19 am
I honestly don't care about those stereotypes.
I'm average in Math but I DESPISE Chemistry and HATE physic even though I'm good in Physic.

You should be proud that you have 3 honors classes, because I don't. =]
Also, my parents love to compare me to others since I just recently told them that I won't be a Pharmaceutist like they planned.

Now, I'm in Social science. [YES! NO CHEMISTRY! NO PHYSIC! NO BIOLOGY! <3] Though, I'm going to go be an accountant so they can get off my back ;D Even though, this is not what I want to be >_>;

Anyways, don't mind those stereotype. Do what's best for you, it's your life. As long as you graduate and have a job, that's good enough. <3

Miss KP

Jelai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:49 pm
Miss KP
I honestly don't care about those stereotypes.
I'm average in Math but I DESPISE Chemistry and HATE physic even though I'm good in Physic.

You should be proud that you have 3 honors classes, because I don't. =]
Also, my parents love to compare me to others since I just recently told them that I won't be a Pharmaceutist like they planned.

Now, I'm in Social science. [YES! NO CHEMISTRY! NO PHYSIC! NO BIOLOGY! <3] Though, I'm going to go be an accountant so they can get off my back ;D Even though, this is not what I want to be >_>;

Anyways, don't mind those stereotype. Do what's best for you, it's your life. As long as you graduate and have a job, that's good enough. <3

YES!
I hate Chemistry too!
>_<
I think its boring without all of the good lab experiment stuff.
and then I have to take Physcis next year...@_@;;

It's actually 2 Honors classes, because the third one I have...is a language class and all language classes in our school automatically count as Honors. >_>;;

Oh well...yeah, I guess so. At least I have some Honors classes. confused

I know huh!? >_<
My parents want me to be a nurse, but I don't want to be a nurse. I want to be a model/actress, and also work in the art & design field. But my parents don't want me to pursue my love for the arts, because they said that I won't make much money in the arts. :/ Like how a ton of actors out there, particularly in the theatre field, have a hard time finding a job and getting callbacks in auditions. So they have to work a second job. It's a hard, competitive field, I know...but I love music, song, art, dance, etc.

=/

But then they're kind of right about the money thing. Nurses make a ton of money compared to models, actors, etc.
And the chance of me becoming well-known might be slim.
>>;
I'm not good enough. I can't sing for the life of me, but I wish to sing. I wish to act, but never really had any theatre experience before. I'm kind of stuck at piano too.
[I go to an arts high school by the way].

BLEAAH.
My college and career plans have changed so much...I don't even know what to do anymore since my parents keep on not recommending this, kept on suggesting that, etc. =/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:09 pm
I'm not very good at math, either. I'm taking a remedial math class in college right now. Shhh...don't tell anyone burning_eyes Stupid logarithms.  

King Henry
Crew

Mr_Example

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:02 pm
Im not in high school yet but im doin well in math (97% best in class xd )
and i got like straight As two times and aiming for more but as soon as i hit high school im screwed.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:23 pm
I don't like math....  

kaito_adrian_shigure

Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:34 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ninja User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

One more night , I wanna be with you
Where I wanna hold you tight

My average math grade: 47%
My reccent grade in math: 57%

>x>;

It feels so right
To
night

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff