Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Mentee Activity: Draw with me [Step 2!!] Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Look

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 pm
I saw some mentor start assignment for mentees, that remind me of a tutorial thread I've seen at a forum awhile back: draw with the artist.

It's basically step by step guide, the artist find a topic, do it one step at a time, and others who wish to learn follows it.

I'm thinking of giving one a try, not just for my mentees, but all who wants to join.

For those who are participating, you may receive critiques and comments from me and other forum members. Please be open to all criticisms.

All forum members are welcome to participate and critique.

Quote:
Step 2: Thumbnail Doodling
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.What to do for this step: Sketch a few thumbnails in black and white. Try to work out the overall composition and contrast. Identify the main elements in your work.

What am I doing:
I already had a rough idea in my head: main character Ed reaching out to Al, who is burning up in a alchemy circle.

So I sketch up a few thumbnail really quick
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Thumbnail 1: what I had in mind initially.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Thumbnail 2: Changed the angle. It's more fun when it's not a normal angle.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Thumbnail 3: Think from a fresh perspective. What if I'm looking up instead of looking down?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Thumbnail 4: I think I still like the top-to-bottom angle better. But what if I move the burning Al to the left?

note: i really like thumb 3, it probably shows the feeling better. But the composition is rather loose. If you look at the overall flow of the elements, from circle to the two characters, the top-down approach would have flow toward the viewer, while thumb 3 lead the flow away from viewer.

After all the rough doodling, here's a final result:

The main element would be the alchemy circle. Why? because that's the element take up most space and would have a significant impact on the overall composition.

From previous thumbnail sketches, I've decided the placement and size of the main element, now I need to work up the composition and contrast around it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.1: What if I have the main lighting spot in the middle of the circle.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.2: What if I have main lighting coming from edge of the circle.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.3: What if I combine both
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.4: Finally, I decide to have the center of the circle as the main lighting source. The edge would also give out light, but dimmer.

Now combine my earlier rough sketch with the background thought

What you need to do:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Identify the main element in your drawing
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. A few thumbnail sketches for this idea, in black and white.
Make sure you try different approaches, different angles, different contrast while doing it.

Quote:
Step 1: Get the feeling
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.What to do for this step: Think of a topic what you want to draw. And use one sentence to describe the feeling you want to convey from this drawing/painting.

What am I doing:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. I'll be doing a fan art piece for Fullmetal Alchemist, with main character Ed reaching out to his brother Al, who is burning up.
The inspiration comes from coldplay's "Fix You", especially the part "... ignite your bones, And I will try to fix you..."

What feeling am I trying to convey:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. A sad hopeless feeling trying to grasp onto things that are slipping away.

What you need to do:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Post the rough idea you will be drawing
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. A sentence to describe the feeling you want to convey from the finished drawing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:12 pm
Um... XD! could you explain it a bit more?

IM SUCH AN IDIOT D8>

I MEANT ADD ME IM PUDDINGPHOBIA@GMAIL.COM WTF T__T

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Iyou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:16 pm
If it's for everyone who wants to join and not just your mentees, then by all means keep it here. whee It sounds pretty interesting, I'd like to hear more about it too.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:45 pm
*hovers* biggrin  

Grimma

Black Dios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:00 pm
-pulls up a nice comfy bean bag and flops on it- :3  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:07 pm
I'm afraid.... I don't understand. D;  

Marissael

Chai Tae

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:32 pm

I liking that idea biggrin I think you should keep it here so everyone can play

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:45 pm
Just got it started. Step 1 should be easy. smile  

Look

Chai Tae

Dapper Codger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:56 pm

I will be drawing a person in front of two roads.
The feeling I'm trying to get a bizzare feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:04 pm
I will be drawing a tough lookin guy with his arms wrapped around a small shy school boy.
A feeling of fear and capture along with a feeling of innocense.  

Black Dios

Iyou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:17 pm
I will draw a girl riding a bike looking up at a bird. I want to convey a feeling of happiness and flight because I'm in the best mood I've been in for years right now. ^__^  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:18 pm
A pic of my oc , in a dark environment crouching , hands to her face as bright blue tattoos are kinda snakeing their way through her body (glowing and stuff , almost as if its like..blue dye going through her veins )

a feeling of despair and loneliness , almost one of giving up (sounds cheesy ,but i LOVE strong feelings like that )  

pach_work

meredy

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:18 pm
fuu awesome idea *-*;

works with something i was thinking of trying anyway 8DD;

I want to convey the breaking point and heartbreak, that moment when your crying and it hurts so bad you think your loosing your mind...

>_>;; writing it down like that kinda scared me o.o;;

I am doing an original drawing of a random girl, or possibly even one of my OC's it depends on what works. I want to draw her eigther on her hand and feet (on all fours) sobbing, sitting on her knees with her limbs just laying there, or her knees curled up to her rocking... im not sure yet ... it depends as I think about it and what I can figure out the pose for, since I have a hard time with posing.

im trying to convey well i don't know its hard to put into word the feeling i want to convey since i have only felt it truly and fully once that i can't really remember and i wasn't fully in my right mind. (not crazy just .. scared out of my mind, but not in a horror way ... like i said hard to describe) mainly i like to try and work at conveying emoitons and such..

drawing a girl crying and in emotional distress.. dark simple background
I want to really challenge myself in many ways, by doing a full (background and all) piece via cg, which I don't really try at much, and trying a difficult pose ... and even though emotion is something I practice a lot such and extreme emotion, something that really would be conveyed not only in the face but the eyes and the body...

>__> maybe its too umm dramallama mello dramatic D:

*ponders*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:37 pm
I will draw a boy sitting down on a bench or cemented block and a girl next to him laughing along, while the background is a bright sky but they're under a some sort of shade (I'm aiming for that kind of contrast). It's around noon. She has her head facing him, slouching, elbows on her knees. The boy leans back with his arms behind him to support him. The tree trunk is on the right and the petals are blowing in the wind. It's just like us at school...

I wanted to convey both romantic and mostly platonic love because that's how I somewhat feel towards a special friend right now (but he doesn't know this, yet maybe...) whee .  

Mellow Noise

Freaksrus

Sarcastic Codger

24,440 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Survivor 150
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:27 pm
I'll draw a girl sleeping on a teddy bear.
To convey innocence, exhaustion, and fluffy love!  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff