Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Meredy's Sketches and Such! Updated: 03-04-2007

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

meredy

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:48 pm
Yay! So any and all help and ideas.... and so on would be awesome! *-*;; heart
if you want to give help on more my gallery is here: http://meredy.deviantart.com

User Image

old sketches:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/meredy/gaiaween/closed.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/meredy/gaiaween/bunni.png
very sketchy couple cg(also fan art):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/meredy/gaiaween/merekeele.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/meredy/gaiaween/sketch.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/meredy/gaiaween/trinitypchat.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/meredy/gaiaween/kira.png

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:01 pm
Hi Meredy
I have to say I love the concepts behind your work and I love that you don't shy from colour.
The one thing I notice throughout your work is it has a child-like feel to it because the head is so big compared to the body. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, if it was, then spiffy.
You have a very cute style and seem to understand anatomy fairly well.
I noticed that you tend to do very similar poses though, all standing without any really different contortions. I think I'd like to see some varying poses from you. Maybe even something based off of a ballet dancer or gymnast. Just to challenge you to break from your comfort zone.  

Wispered

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:48 pm
    Just like Eejbeej said, I think the head is really big. But it's ok not to change it if you think that's your style.

I'd say watch out for the balance a bit. The legs mage the character looks like they're gonna fall down >_< I did the drawovers here.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And work on the hands? XDD

ps. I really like how you use different bright colors <3~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:26 am
Eejbeej
Hi Meredy
I have to say I love the concepts behind your work and I love that you don't shy from colour.
The one thing I notice throughout your work is it has a child-like feel to it because the head is so big compared to the body. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, if it was, then spiffy.
You have a very cute style and seem to understand anatomy fairly well.
I noticed that you tend to do very similar poses though, all standing without any really different contortions. I think I'd like to see some varying poses from you. Maybe even something based off of a ballet dancer or gymnast. Just to challenge you to break from your comfort zone.

Thats my hugest weakness ... posing and drawing the body. I was a bit better for awhile while taking a figure drawing class but its been a year since then so i have been forgetting what i learned it think.

Nelesia -
I have a tendancy to draw "tilted" D: and have to correted it with rotating, so that probably created some issues with some(and the sketches i didn't bother)
bunny girl: yeah i noticed the arms were a bit short but didn't bother with it figuring it didn't stick out at me too badly and still looked cute(for just a sketchy cg or fun) and yeah i have a tendancy to get bored with legs and just smosh them together >_,;; D: also her body seems to lean a little because i had to rotate her slightly to make her look less tilted D:

trinity(angel): thanks for the tips, since it is just a first sketch i haven't decided if i want to finish it... :/ but if i do your draw over will help me a lot to fix it *-*

meredy&keele(couple): the neck is shorter than it looks i think i made the shoulder look a little low or something :O
and yeah faces in profile are hard for me, i used to be better at it but meh D: so i made her face really vauge

thanks for the advise and compliments ^-^

edit: yes i have a tendancy in general to make the head to big even when i don't want to(drove my figure drawing teacher mad sometimes D: me too, i was able to break that someonewhat though, but I still like rather deformed preportions... big heads, thin limbs, large feet... that kind of thing. xD;

meredy

Tipsy Lunatic

meredy

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:12 am
Updated yesterday with a new sketch<3  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:08 am
Hello again Meredy ^_^
I love the singing chick in the middle, very adorable. The piece that caught my eye was the full body one. Your proportions look a bit better there, and It really is a neat sketch. I'm going to suggest putting a tiny bit of curve into your limbs, not necessarily completely realistic full curves, but a hint of them, it'll make your images appear less 2D while still retaining the style you've got going on.
The other thing I want to mention (something I always have trouble with) is the balance of the lass. It doesn't look like she's putting her full weight onto that foot, and since the rest of the image doesn't show her moving, she'd probably fall right over. If you tilted the shoulders and hips to indicate where the weight is (our right hip up, right shoulder down) that should help the balance a bit.
I love the cuteness of your style, can't wait to see more from you.  

Wispered

meredy

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:27 pm
Eejbeej
Hello again Meredy ^_^
I love the singing chick in the middle, very adorable. The piece that caught my eye was the full body one. Your proportions look a bit better there, and It really is a neat sketch. I'm going to suggest putting a tiny bit of curve into your limbs, not necessarily completely realistic full curves, but a hint of them, it'll make your images appear less 2D while still retaining the style you've got going on.
The other thing I want to mention (something I always have trouble with) is the balance of the lass. It doesn't look like she's putting her full weight onto that foot, and since the rest of the image doesn't show her moving, she'd probably fall right over. If you tilted the shoulders and hips to indicate where the weight is (our right hip up, right shoulder down) that should help the balance a bit.
I love the cuteness of your style, can't wait to see more from you.

thank you biggrin

and yeah i need to work on that... though like with the girl with pigtails, when i would do line i art i would work to make the arm look a little more curvy... but i definatly need to work on that *-*;
i was thinking about that as i drew, because it looks kinda odd?? but really saw her as kinda floating away with her balloon or something silly like that xD;; but i didn't really try to make it look like she is floating so o.o; yeah

but thanks for the tips again *-*; <3

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff