Japanese
  Chinese
  Vietnamese
  Other Asian
  Non-Asian
View Results

Memory on a Moonbeam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:26 pm

My parents, like most Korean people in general, love karaoke.

Whenever there's a "gathering,"

(aka: party where adults basically drink beer, eat food, and gossip about their children/co-workers/people who aren't at the party)

EVERYBODY, even the respectable mothers you would never IMAGINE singing, bursts into song when it's their turn for karaoke... even if there isn't a karaoke machine._.'

And when it's not their turn, they'll be content with just clapping obnoxiously.

So I was just wondering...

Is this just a Korean thing, or is this type of behavior common with all Asian people in general?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:15 pm
it happens with my family too.  

Mince mii

Distinct Hunter

6,600 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Hikari_zutto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:59 pm
Well, for every family, it's a different thing. Like with my family, they love to travel and get out to do stuff.

And I can't complain about it....sometimes the travel is free. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:47 pm
um, well, my mom wants a karoke machine. and i remember when i was little though, we were at a friends and he had one. my dad would be drunk and he would sing. then my mom would sing, then the friend, and then mom and dad. idk, maybe its a racial thing. i like it. idk if this adds any value, but im vietnamese.  

o-re-sa-ma_Elegance

Ouiaboo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:27 pm
[ 聖ルヂーと言う: ] I think it's a common pasttime for a lot of Asians, but it depends on the individual. I do know that karaoke is incredibly popular in Japan, to the point where almost all of their Maxi Singles have a karaoke track, and there are lots of karaoke bars in the cities. I adore karaoke, but the rest of my family isn't very fond of it.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:36 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ninja User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

One more night , I wanna be with you
Where I wanna hold you tight

It can be everyone's hobby. I know plenties of people of different ethnicies who sings karaoke. 3nodding

Talking about it, I conclude that the best way to get the highest score is to sing like a demon. [/proven by myself who got 98/100]

XD

It feels so right
To
night

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Rebirth Project

Lillian Rayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:22 pm
My family is Viet, and they do the exact same thing. Its usually at my house, so its really funny to watch my drunk uncles sing. I never really thought of it as only specific ethinicities who do that. Many people sing karoake. My spanish neighbors blast their music up so we wouldnt here them sing. (Thats what the son said lol). So yeah.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:51 pm
We have karaoke machinges and dics all over the parts of the house. I even own all the karaoke revolution games and play them alot <.<
I grew up singing and watching my family sing karaoke.
Now i'm old and staffing the karoke room at an anime convention O_o  

MHHornfreak

Fashionable Conversationalist

14,150 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Elocutionist 200

`Hikarii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:36 pm
My Mum is a great singer, not like the modern songs, but older traditional songs. Same with dancing, she looks hawt doing that belly dancing thing xDD
I've seen her dance once, when I was like 4 o_O'

Dad can't sing or dance worth 2 cents, sadly, same with me xd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:15 pm
Vietnamese people love to get drunk, talk about random stuff, and pass the mic around to everyone  

DuMaKenshinXD

Memory on a Moonbeam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am
`Hikarii
My Mum is a great singer, not like the modern songs, but older traditional songs. Same with dancing, she looks hawt doing that belly dancing thing xDD

Holy crap! Belly dancing is so cool! And I know what you mean about the old traditional songs--my dad does that too.. and he gets REALLY into it...^^;

And, apparently, drunkness and singing are just ... an everybody thing.
._.'  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 am
MHHornfreak
We have karaoke machinges and dics all over the parts of the house. I even own all the karaoke revolution games and play them alot <.<
I grew up singing and watching my family sing karaoke.
Now i'm old and staffing the karoke room at an anime convention O_o

Ooo. I've never been to an anime convention... I've heard they're a blast though, as long as you ignore the obnoxious n00b girls who squeal a lot.

^^;  

Memory on a Moonbeam

`Hikarii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:25 pm
Sikki-San
`Hikarii

Holy crap! Belly dancing is so cool! And I know what you mean about the old traditional songs--my dad does that too.. and he gets REALLY into it...^^;

And, apparently, drunkness and singing are just ... an everybody thing.
._.'

Yeah, Bali Dancing XD
Kinda like this but she wasn't as good xd
... Nah, my dad is so.. Eh.. When he sings or dances, he sucks, badly xd
I'm talking about older english bands, like I never heard before, because hes not Asian ;O

Both my parents neither drink or smoke ^^;'
Dad smoked for a few months when in his 30s, he quited quickly.
He never drank.
My mother never drank or smoked ;]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:51 am
Karaoke...

"Kara" in Japanese means empty...

The "o" (or "oke" I forget the specifics) is from "opera"...Roomaji...

Sorry for getting off track...I tend to do that...

...What was the original question?

...Right. Karaoke...Asian-thing...

Well, all my Asian friends (most Korean/adopted) are into it. Also, all my other friends who are white (but pretend to be Asian... >.>) like the it, too. So I suppose it's an overall Asian fixiation...Kinda like crack...but with words...and somehow, slightly more dangerous...  

Crimson_Mercenary

7,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Seijin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:40 am
never been in one before  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff