Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Anthropology studies..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SonarP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:50 pm
While joining this guild and getting in contact with Deoridhe, she hit me with a stick that I hadn't seen before, nor thought of.

I need to do some serious anthropological studies in relation to shamanism....

If anyone could tell me about some sources that they know of, then that would be really nice. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:10 am
The Shaman by Piers Vitebsky is a very good overall discussion in many shamanic traditions.

Also the infamous Golden Bough is pretty much a standard anthropological textbook for magicians at this point. It's by Sir James Frazer.

And because I'm a stickler for accuracy, it's spelled "anthropology." Your header is wrong.

Happy reading! biggrin  

Pelta

SonarP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:59 pm
^_^; Thanks for pointing out the spelling. I'll have to check out The Shaman...and I'm actually familiar with The Golden Bough, I just never looked into it. Thanks again!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:03 am
Hey, thank you too! I am definantly going to look into buying those books.

I have one furthur question, are these common books? Ones that I could get at my local library, or bookstore, or am I going to have to go to Amazon.com?  

ILuvEire

wikkedpixie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:46 am
I think anthropology is a wonderful way to learn more about many different things, although I don't really know much about Shamanism in relation. I am curious as well if they would be available at the library.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:22 pm
ILuvEire

I have one furthur question, are these common books? Ones that I could get at my local library, or bookstore, or am I going to have to go to Amazon.com?
The Golden Bough you should be able to get almost anywhere, especially second hand bookstores. wink I don't know too much about the availability of the other one. Check local pagan bookstores if there are any, but you may have to order it online.  

Pelta

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:00 pm
The golden bough is advailibe to read on line here
http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/frazer/index.htm.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:34 am
Pelta
ILuvEire

The Golden Bough you should be able to get almost anywhere, especially second hand bookstores. wink I don't know too much about the availability of the other one. Check local pagan bookstores if there are any, but you may have to order it online.

Depends on which edition of the Golden Bough you're talking about.
The updated edition by Sir James George Frazier was published in 1915 and is a massive encyclopedia of twelve volumes plus index. I doubt if you'll find this edition in a used bookstore, but there was an abridged edition published in 1922 in a single volume, which is what most people think of when looking for copies of the Golden Bough. Sad to say, the abridged edition barely covers the information available in the complete work, and most academics view the abridged edition as a waste of time.
A number of better college and universities and more than a few libraries carry the unabridged edition; for example, I had the good fortune to locate the unabridged edition in the Pasadena City Library, and spent a number of hours studying this fascinating work on magic, mythology, and religion.
A word of caution: the Golden Bough was written more for fellow academics than the average reader, so some people might find it hard to follow; it doesn't help that the books were written in a very matter-of-fact Victorian style, so you might want to read only a few chapters at a time.
In spite of its flaws, the Golden Bough is a truly fascinating work and well worth reading, so good luck in locating it!

godhi

godhi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:35 am
Pelta
ILuvEire

The updated edition by Sir James George Frazier was published in 1915 and is a massive encyclopedia of twelve volumes plus index. I doubt if you'll find this edition in a used bookstore, but there was an abridged edition published in 1922 in a single volume, which is what most people think of when searching for copies of the Golden Bough. Sad to say, the abridged edition barely covers the information available in the complete work, and most academics view the abridged edition as a waste of time.
A number of better colleges and universities and more than a few libraries carry the unabridged edition; for example, I had the good fortune to locate the unabridged edition in the Pasadena City Library, and spent a number of hours studying this fascinating work on magic, mythology, and religion.
A word of caution: the Golden Bough was written more for fellow academics than the average reader, so some people might find it hard to follow; it doesn't help that the books were written in a very matter-of-fact Victorian style, so you might want to read only a few chapters at a time.
In spite of its flaws, the Golden Bough is a truly fascinating work and well worth reading, so good luck in locating it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:21 am
godhi
Pelta
ILuvEire

The updated edition by Sir James George Frazier was published in 1915 and is a massive encyclopedia of twelve volumes plus index. I doubt if you'll find this edition in a used bookstore, but there was an abridged edition published in 1922 in a single volume, which is what most people think of when searching for copies of the Golden Bough.
Actually, I had the good fortune to run across several volumes of the original printing in a second-hand bookshop in london just a few weeks ago. I couldn't buy them because my luggage space was limited, but they are still available if you know where to look. Besides, it wasn't the full edition, just about four volumes of it...

That was the secondhand bookshop of my dreams, though. It was absolutely wonderful, and they had so many dusty old books from the 19th century that they were all on a half price sale. I did pick me up a few gems...  

Pelta

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff