Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Pach Work's Sketchbook - first pic posted

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pach_work

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:25 pm
- The posts and ramblings of a deranged artist otherwise known as pach-work -

I'mma just post stuff here , believe me . I can take any critique as long as its constructive , saying ' that sucks' really isint going to help me in the long run.

Any help at all is welcome - its good to see things through others eyes

first pic :

A commission I finished for lissy~poo - I was trying to do ..well KIND of a different style , it didnt turn out that differently i guess lol - ive since colored it but i still would like any critiques on the sketch so i know what i can change and keep an eye out for smile . i would TOTALLY love any redlines on the hands , i kinda just kraped out on em ( its like..3 in the morning here , oi lol ) and i just got frustrated , so any help would be wicked on that , and anything else ( like eyes ! and lips ! eek )

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:13 pm
pach_work

I'mma just post stuff here , believe me . I can take any critique as long as its constructive , saying ' that sucks' really isint going to help me in the long run.

Well, considering the nature of this guild, I doubt you'd get any short, crappy, critiques (ex. "that sucks"), as this guild is structured towards being constructive and with good feedback. =P  

Marissael

pach_work

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm
Marissael
pach_work

Well, considering the nature of this guild, I doubt you'd get any short, crappy, critiques (ex. "that sucks"), as this guild is structured towards being constructive and with good feedback. =P

true , but who knows, i may attract some wandering noob XD  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:38 am
I love the style, and her expression is great. I have to say, I personally love the lips.
Her closed eye looks a bit squished and the lid indicates a different shape than the opened one. the closed one looks more like a vertical oval than a horizontal one.
I think the fingers could afford to be a touch longer in comparison to the palms, but I don't really think it's a huge deal. The pointer on the rose-holding hand though, has really different proportions compared to the other fingers. It's much longer from the first to second knuckle. I think I'd rather see the other fingers get longer than to shorten that one down though.
But I really like it. It's very...sweet-feeling. If that makes sense  

Wispered

pach_work

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:26 am
Eejbeej
I love the style, and her expression is great. I have to say, I personally love the lips.
Her closed eye looks a bit squished and the lid indicates a different shape than the opened one. the closed one looks more like a vertical oval than a horizontal one.
I think the fingers could afford to be a touch longer in comparison to the palms, but I don't really think it's a huge deal. The pointer on the rose-holding hand though, has really different proportions compared to the other fingers. It's much longer from the first to second knuckle. I think I'd rather see the other fingers get longer than to shorten that one down though.
But I really like it. It's very...sweet-feeling. If that makes sense

ohh yeah i get what your saying about the eye haha XD - for me it can go either way , i TOTALLY understand where your coming from , but even under the eyelid of the open eye , the eyeball is still a circle er..SPHERE. ( teachers in my head ) - but yeah it can definaly be improved , thx biggrin

and yeah! good point abou the hands XD thx , i'll watch that next time.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:35 am
Hands: You need to have the fingers bend, I mean, fingers don't lay out like that if in a relaxed pose. Unless the person is forcein' her hands to stand out straight then it just seem unnatural.

1:when a hand is in that area, with the arm bent the fingers semi-close and at that angel the thumb won't show at all.
2:pinkees bein' the smallest finger would never stand out like that unless the hand is held out flat. The tendents in the hand forces it to bend, even a little, unless the owner of the hand forces it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hope I'm makin' sense.
Overall this drawin' is sweet and amazin'

LostPotencial

pach_work

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:40 am
ARG that totally helps XD thanks !! you know so much about how the hand works *_* my life drawing teacher would love you lol  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:46 am
x3 I'm so happy I could help!!
I have a book suggestion. It's is like God's gift to those in need of anatomy knowledge.

"Leonardo da Vinci Sketches and Drawings Frank Zollner: Taschen(publisher)
My all time reference for human body-ness.

It has 13 chapters of drawing, drawings and more drawings, none of his paintings and him being a scientist he would cut up dead bodies to see how they worked and what they looked like and he drew the human body(and no worries it isn't disgusting to look at) and muscle sturture. xD It is my guide to life! Check it out if you can. It only cost me like 20 bucks at Borders.

LostPotencial

pach_work

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:48 am
LostPotencial
x3 I'm so happy I could help!!
I have a book suggestion. It's is like God's gift to those in need of anatomy knowledge.

"Leonardo da Vinci Sketches and Drawings Frank Zollner: Taschen(publisher)
My all time reference for human body-ness.

It has 13 chapters of drawing, drawings and more drawings, none of his paintings and him being a scientist he would cut up dead bodies to see how they worked and what they looked like and he drew the human body(and no worries it isn't disgusting to look at) and muscle sturture. xD It is my guide to life! Check it out if you can. It only cost me like 20 bucks at Borders.

yeah , i'll keep an eye out for it biggrin , i have this HUGE like 80 dollar anatomy book , but its so...medical , like..why would i wanna go through and read it ? i have to use it for life drawing class ,but only for the muscles - its so..technical its not even worth it cuz all of the jargon is over my head lol XD

i mean sure its handy cuz you see the muslces and how they work ..and whats under or over or attached to this ,but as far as READING goes its like ' UHHHH.........wha?!'  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:52 am
lol, I know what you mean, but with this book, there's only a short intro and little blurbs tellin' just what the image is and what he used to draw it, and that's it! You should tell you teacher 'bout it, she might end up lovin' you for it.  

LostPotencial

pach_work

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:54 am
LostPotencial
lol, I know what you mean, but with this book, there's only a short intro and little blurbs tellin' just what the image is and what he used to draw it, and that's it! You should tell you teacher 'bout it, she might end up lovin' you for it.

ohh i dunno about that , we found a LOVELY anatomy book that had great poses and then it has like..clear pages with bones and muscles that you can put overtop of it , and im like 'WOAH THIS IS THE COOLIST '

and shes like ' hm..its a lovely coffeetable book ,but .... '

and she wouldnt let us use it XD even tho it was so much better..WE thought XD - but if i pick it up ( which i will if i find it ) i'll show it to her smile even tho she wont let us use it as a textbook XDDD  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games