Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
WIP Vampire -first post!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gackt-dono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:06 pm
So this is my first time here! 3nodding Hi guys!
And also this is my first Vampiric picture that I've ever drawn. O_o....*someone throws a rock at her* XP
So I need some tips on a few things:
1) Background
2) Girl's hair and tie colors?
3) Should he wear a shirt or not?
4) Any effects that'll add?
5) How can I fix this?
And I'm not a good CG artist, so anything helps there as well! sweatdrop
Here's the link!
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49873041/
Thanks guys! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:54 pm
hmmmm....*cricket, cricket* No one yet?? *Sigh* OH well! Guess I'll just have to post a completed work here! *Someone else throws a rock at her*
User Image
Chibeh! mrgreen lol~
I have a cruddy ink/fine lining pen T__T In fact, it's not even an art pen *Sighs* so these always end up too scratchy.
Any suggestions on good inking pens??? I definately need some stare XP  

Gackt-dono

Gackt-dono

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:57 pm
OH! And her right hand is backwards gonk sweatdrop Which really REALLY sucked to find out AFTER it was all done. T__T *sighs heavily* Oh well confused  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:04 pm
Hey there and welcome.
For your first one, the tongue is distracting as it's too small, it would work in a more cartoony picture but the seriousness of this one demands a larger tongue. My other major concern is the shoulder of the person getting bit, something just doesn't look right there, maybe it isn't sloping enough.
I love the broken wing, and I really can't wait to see this finished.

Second one is cute. Not a fan of the white halo around her, but that could be a personal preference thing.  

Wispered

Razmaz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:22 pm
If you don't want to pay too much money for a pen, then I would recommend the Zig Millenium pens. They're pretty good, and can usually be found at Wal-Mart in 2-packs which have one pen that is like .5 and another that's something like .2 or .25. Where I live it costs around 2 dollars for a 2-pack, which is a lot better than paying $2.99 for a single micron pen. They look something like this(except Wal-Mart sells black, not purple.):
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If you want an even better pen, then of course I'd recommend Sakura Microns. The only problem I have with these is that I tend to get the smallest size and even though I am extremely light-handed the tip always ends up getting squished in before I finish the pen's ink due to its flexible nature. These pens really are quite good, but can hurt your wallet a bit since they are, as I said before $2.99 a piece.

Another VERY comparable pen to the Sakura Micron that is a bit less expensive ($2.30 a piece I believe) are the NeoPiko Drawing pens. These are also very good but can only be ordered online.

I usually buy those from this site:

http://www.akadotretail.com/categories.php?cPath=31_14_69&page=3

You might also want to check out the above site for pen nibs, nib holders and bottles of ink. These are the dip type pens. I wouldn't recommend them if you're not used to inking by hand because they are a bit hard to get used to but if ya really want it then it will probably be worth checking out.

Hope that helps you with choosing the right type of inking pen next time. ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:41 pm
hum... the first picture the ear seems to low. where the top part of the ear meets your head it should be about the same level as the center of your eye (if this is making any sense at all). and like mentioned before i think the tongue seems too small.

and to add to the list of inking pens you can use.. i'd say Staedtler (though these tend to leak for some reason occasionally). i prefer to use the Microns, but like aforementioned the nib tends to either split in half, or.. get squished in.

Jitsumi1221

Gackt-dono

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:36 pm
Razmaz
If you don't want to pay too much money for a pen, then I would recommend the Zig Millenium pens. They're pretty good, and can usually be found at Wal-Mart in 2-packs which have one pen that is like .5 and another that's something like .2 or .25. Where I live it costs around 2 dollars for a 2-pack, which is a lot better than paying $2.99 for a single micron pen. They look something like this(except Wal-Mart sells black, not purple.):

If you want an even better pen, then of course I'd recommend Sakura Microns. The only problem I have with these is that I tend to get the smallest size and even though I am extremely light-handed the tip always ends up getting squished in before I finish the pen's ink due to its flexible nature. These pens really are quite good, but can hurt your wallet a bit since they are, as I said before $2.99 a piece.

Another VERY comparable pen to the Sakura Micron that is a bit less expensive ($2.30 a piece I believe) are the NeoPiko Drawing pens. These are also very good but can only be ordered online.

I usually buy those from this site:

http://www.akadotretail.com/categories.php?cPath=31_14_69&page=3

You might also want to check out the above site for pen nibs, nib holders and bottles of ink. These are the dip type pens. I wouldn't recommend them if you're not used to inking by hand because they are a bit hard to get used to but if ya really want it then it will probably be worth checking out.

Hope that helps you with choosing the right type of inking pen next time. ^_^

Oh wow! This'll definately help me out. IN fact, I'm going to go refresh my art supplies today at the art store, so I won't have to deal with that dang pen anymore. +_+ ugh, it bled so much and then it would fade out and then end up all scratchy. T__T I twas raelly quite upsetting to be honest.
Thanks so much guys! I totally see what you mean about the ear *sweatdrop*, but it's already inked. *sighs* So maybe on my next picture I draw of a vamp.
And the tongue thing *sighs heavily* Also a problem. I'll try to draw over it with photoshop or maybe with my new pen that I'll be getting, and then erase the middle part (if that makes any sense *sweatdrop*)
All of this definately helped me out alot guys! I'll keep all of these in mind in my next pictures!
In fact, I'm working on a new picture and will probably post it tomorrrow if I get a chance. Then I'll also be able to show you all how my new pens work too! Which'll be good.
thanks guys! Talk to you later!
(More crit it ALWAYS welcome as it comes!^_^)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:45 pm
Jitsumi1221
hum... the first picture the ear seems to low. where the top part of the ear meets your head it should be about the same level as the center of your eye (if this is making any sense at all). and like mentioned before i think the tongue seems too small.

and to add to the list of inking pens you can use.. i'd say Staedtler (though these tend to leak for some reason occasionally). i prefer to use the Microns, but like aforementioned the nib tends to either split in half, or.. get squished in.

Yeah, I see what you mean *looks* hmm, yeah, I'll keep that in mind on my future pieces ,thanks for letting me know!
yesh, it makes sense 3nodding
Mmm, the tongue is an issue at this point, if anyone would care to show me a drawover (if that's possible) I'm afraid to draw over it at this point since it's already in pen and if I mess it up a second time...that might not be good at all. @_@ So examples help if possible 3nodding
mmmm, I think I'm shooting for Microns. i'll just be real careful about the way that i ink w/ it. And i'm also gonna start on Copic pens. As expensive as they are (6.00 a pen! whooo!)  

Gackt-dono

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff