Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Raz's Sketchbook

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Razmaz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 pm
Hey guys, I'll be posting stuff I need help on in here.

So let's start off with this sketch:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I really... REALLY need help mostly with the hand at the moment. It looks like a claw. Also, I'd like to get help on her anatomy... her arm is looking a little funky to me as well.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Redlining would GREATLY be appreciated, just make sure you grayscale the image before doing so. Thank ya. :3  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:34 pm
Hello, first I will say that her hair is lovely, and the coy expression on her face works well with her pose I think. I don't remember enough of female anatomy to make any suggestions in that regard, but I tried a drawover of that hand you were having trouble with - assuming you don't want to move her arm, then in that pose her hand should be facing with the palm towards the viewer. Keeping in line with the grabby-orb pose I drew a possible hand positioning as shown here:
User Image

I hope that helps! (I don't have changing-to-greyscale functionality in openCanvas, so I reduced the picture's layer opacity for purposes of the drawover, I hope that's okay)  

Sebyth

Razmaz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:39 pm
Of course it's fine that it's not grayscale. I just suggested it to make it easier on anyone trying to do redlines. XD

Wow, that looks really good... I might have to try that!

Thank you so much! ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:29 pm
Sorry for the double post, but I think I fixed it. Kind of.

Oh, and Sebyth, sorry for not using the hand you suggested. It was nice but a friend of mine discussed it with me and we both agreed that the hand you drew seemed a bit too manly for the situation. Kinda reminded me of Dragon Ball Z. Don't ask. o_O

Oh, and I know the index finger is too thin at the base. It's okay, that's a minor thing that I can easily fix.

Any other edits on this image will be greatly appreciated. :B  

Razmaz

PinkGhost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:25 pm
No drawovers...but drawings. I don't have my tablet at the moment..

Top one...I drew the wrong position. The bottom position is slightly different too, but it is more similar. I hope it helps you. :]  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:57 pm
PinkGhost
No drawovers...but drawings. I don't have my tablet at the moment..

Top one...I drew the wrong position. The bottom position is slightly different too, but it is more similar. I hope it helps you. :]

Awesome! Yeah, your second hand drawing is almost exactly like the edited one I posted. Awesome. Now I know I've got it right. I'll just make those minor edits that you made and off I shall go into happy land!

Thank you so much! You draw nice hands. whee  

Razmaz

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:13 am
I think Seb's drawover was more to show attidude of the hand and major anatomical features rather than have you copy it exactly. You can make it feminine with thickness of digits and line quality.

Also, it will help when you're showing fixes to show the entire image. Proportion is only visible in relation to other things, so we can't tell if it's "right" unless we see the entire figure. Or at least the features that we relate in size to the hand.

I noticed that your hand also was being pressed back at the wrist at an odd angle. Maybe showing more overlapping on the arm will help make it all look less pushed towards the background.

Hands are very hard to draw. I think you did a great job, if you look at the other people's drawings, the fingers are all distinct and sepreate. I'm not that great at drawing hands myself, so I can't really give advice on keeping the hands from being flat, but I'm sure Pink would love to make us all a tutorial. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:30 pm
Errol McGillivray
I think Seb's drawover was more to show attidude of the hand and major anatomical features rather than have you copy it exactly. You can make it feminine with thickness of digits and line quality.

Also, it will help when you're showing fixes to show the entire image. Proportion is only visible in relation to other things, so we can't tell if it's "right" unless we see the entire figure. Or at least the features that we relate in size to the hand.

I noticed that your hand also was being pressed back at the wrist at an odd angle. Maybe showing more overlapping on the arm will help make it all look less pushed towards the background.

Hands are very hard to draw. I think you did a great job, if you look at the other people's drawings, the fingers are all distinct and sepreate. I'm not that great at drawing hands myself, so I can't really give advice on keeping the hands from being flat, but I'm sure Pink would love to make us all a tutorial. xd

Thanks! I have a problem with not separating my fingers enough when drawing hands. Lol.

Oh, and with the manliness comment I made about Seb's hand... I didn't mean that the actual hand looked manly, but to me the position that the hand was in seemed a bit masculine. I want her hand to be in a position where she's putting it over the orb somewhat gingerly.

I really like PB's drawings, I'll have to try something like that out.

Thanks a bunch, guys! :3  

Razmaz

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces