Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
[Mentee] Gale...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ornithogale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:29 pm
Ok, I just joined... whee
I'll be signing up with a mentor soon! Yay!

Um, I haven't recently done any sketches, but I just thought I might as well present one of my (fairly) recent sketches to see what general things i have to improve on. Yay!

This is one of my more recent full bodies (except the feet O__o)
Uh, this is the link

Oooh, I just realized the right arm (the one holding the bow) is kinda stiff.. whoops.

Yea, please feel free to view my other works as well...

Just keep in mind that the colored ones are already finished, so even though i know there are a ton of mistakes (T___T) in them, I can't fix them, soooo.... yea. sweatdrop (I'm pathetic. O well.)  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:42 pm
Oh shush, you're not pathetic. And welcome. =D

About that picture... I like it overall. I like how wispy her hair is and her eyes, despite a them making her look a bit forlorn. Her shoulder on the right is a bit too long/far out. Even though her arm is out to the side, the shoulder shouldn't elongate. Her arm on that same side is, like you said, just a bit stiff. You might want to consider putting a bend in it if you can, or at the very least, give it a little more shape; it almost looks like the lines of that arm are straight from shoulder to wrist. Also, her dress is nice, it looks like you tried to stick with what humans and gods would have worn back in her time, but I think that the top part, even though she seems to have a fairly large bust, wouldn't be so form-fitting. Mainly the part, under her breasts. The curve of her breasts wouldn't show so much, as the top, the way you drew it from the neck and shoulders looks to be more drapey.

I can understand that you may want to show that she has curves and a figure, that's the fun part about drawing women, but you could maybe alter the dress a bit and maybe... have it where the belted part, or the cord that holds her dress to her body at the wais, starts higher than where you have it. That way, you still get the drapey-ness (>_>), but she still looks like she has a figure.

Though I wish I could actually demonstrate what I meant... hopefully I'm not too unclear in all this. But I still like the picture a lot.

Gah, and I almost forgot, try to avoid cutting pictures off at the feet. Of a lot of body parts that get cut out of pictures, the feet (to me) is the worst. I think, maybe try to fit her feet in, or cut her off at a higher point.  

Marissael

Wispered

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:37 am
Marissael got most of it, but I'd like to make mention of proportion concerning props. Right now that bow looks like it would break if she used it. I have to mention though that the shape was well done. Just, if you've ever held a bow, you know it takes up a lot of space in your hand. I struggle with proportionate props as well, so don't you fret, it's a common thing. But if you aren't sure of something, find a photo. In this case, the bow should be thicker and so should the arrows. Not by much, but it doesn't take much to make a noticeable difference.

Very cute picture though.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:01 pm
Marissael
Oh shush, you're not pathetic. And welcome. =D

About that picture... I like it overall. I like how wispy her hair is and her eyes, despite a them making her look a bit forlorn. Her shoulder on the right is a bit too long/far out. Even though her arm is out to the side, the shoulder shouldn't elongate. Her arm on that same side is, like you said, just a bit stiff. You might want to consider putting a bend in it if you can, or at the very least, give it a little more shape; it almost looks like the lines of that arm are straight from shoulder to wrist. Also, her dress is nice, it looks like you tried to stick with what humans and gods would have worn back in her time, but I think that the top part, even though she seems to have a fairly large bust, wouldn't be so form-fitting. Mainly the part, under her breasts. The curve of her breasts wouldn't show so much, as the top, the way you drew it from the neck and shoulders looks to be more drapey.

I can understand that you may want to show that she has curves and a figure, that's the fun part about drawing women, but you could maybe alter the dress a bit and maybe... have it where the belted part, or the cord that holds her dress to her body at the wais, starts higher than where you have it. That way, you still get the drapey-ness (>_>), but she still looks like she has a figure.

Though I wish I could actually demonstrate what I meant... hopefully I'm not too unclear in all this. But I still like the picture a lot.

Gah, and I almost forgot, try to avoid cutting pictures off at the feet. Of a lot of body parts that get cut out of pictures, the feet (to me) is the worst. I think, maybe try to fit her feet in, or cut her off at a higher point.

Wow, thankies a lot...

I dunno, I don't have much experience drawing clothes, especially ones that I don't see in normal life xD

Yes, the arm I am definitely changing, I already know that, and I will fix the shoulder

Thanks so much for the help...

I will try and change the way the clothes work on the body...
I kinda don't know how to show the cloth under the breasts... I mean, I don't really know how to change it...
The too form-fittingness I will try to change as best as I can... I do need practice... but luckily theres still time to change the picture!! yay!

I dunno about the eyes, I guess they do look a little forlorn, I just was thinking along the lines of Artemis being a really cold, impersonal person. sweatdrop  

Ornithogale

Ornithogale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:04 pm
Eejbeej
Marissael got most of it, but I'd like to make mention of proportion concerning props. Right now that bow looks like it would break if she used it. I have to mention though that the shape was well done. Just, if you've ever held a bow, you know it takes up a lot of space in your hand. I struggle with proportionate props as well, so don't you fret, it's a common thing. But if you aren't sure of something, find a photo. In this case, the bow should be thicker and so should the arrows. Not by much, but it doesn't take much to make a noticeable difference.

Very cute picture though.

Thanks for the advice. I am very grateful.

Yes, I do admit, thinking about props is hard @__@.... The bow is definitely too thin, but I guess I just haven't thouthg much about them. I'll go change that now.... ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:29 pm
Ornithogale
Wow, thankies a lot...

I dunno, I don't have much experience drawing clothes, especially ones that I don't see in normal life xD

Yes, the arm I am definitely changing, I already know that, and I will fix the shoulder

Thanks so much for the help...

I will try and change the way the clothes work on the body...
I kinda don't know how to show the cloth under the breasts... I mean, I don't really know how to change it...
The too form-fittingness I will try to change as best as I can... I do need practice... but luckily theres still time to change the picture!! yay!

I dunno about the eyes, I guess they do look a little forlorn, I just was thinking along the lines of Artemis being a really cold, impersonal person. sweatdrop

I really wish I could demonstrate, at least as far as the top of the dress, but my tablet is out of commission and I won't be able to show anything until I get my new one. Which, consequently, won't be until I get my tax return back. Or I win the lottery. =P

Perhaps it can be demonstrated if you can find, in your own wardrobe or borrow from someone else, a relatively loose blouse and bind it in tight around the waist and just under your chest, but making sure that you still have just a bit of bagginess just above the belt or whatever you may choose to use. Then you can look to see a bit how I mean in a mirror. Unless anyone else can make any sense of what I mean and draw for you on their own tablet. Good luck on your progression on the pic though. ^^  

Marissael

PinkGhost

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 pm
Marissael and Eejbeej pretty much said everything. xD
I've done a few examples of what the folds in clothes held by ropes should look like...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I wish I had better examples...>__>  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff