Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Errol's sketchbook [images added 5/2/11] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 am
[Rip me a new one!]

Scrutinize me. I've been a serious student for far too long to have my feelings hurt. Also, I'm old and would like to improve faster than death's cold fingers can lovingly grip my throat. 3nodding

I can promise you that I don't piss on anyone's observations because I didn't see it myself, nor do I make excuses for mistakes. There will never be an argument from me about unintentional mistakes, although I may explain myself when my intention misses the mark. Hopefully, I can be advised on how to get my intention to go through.

All I ask is that you:

• Take intention into account
  • Be patient with me, I'm a bubblehead
  • Be honest
  • Don't drop a critique and then ignore me afterward if I have questions on a piece you already saw
  • Hold me at nights

Alright, maybe not that last one.

I've broken down the areas that I'm aware I need help with. Please feel free to cover anything you think I need improvement on and the level I think I'm at. I'm probably wrong in some cases, but hey. I'm sure you'll tell me.

[ gonk heart ]

• kindergarten/simple vehicles/mechanical structures
  • kindergarten/simple architecture

• simple shading/color

• simple/intermediate Isometric drawing (scenes)
  • simple/intermediate costume design
  • simple/intermediate multiple character integration
  • simple/intermediate figure drawing
  • simple/intermediate line quality
  • simple/intermediate use of media
  • simple/intermediate sequential art

• intermediate/advanced creature design
  • intermediate/advanced perspective
  • intermediate/advanced anatomy
  • intermediate/advanced staging, overall design

Well, have at it!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:16 am
as of 5/2 (not in order, grouped by timeframe)

3 min

User Image

5 min
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

10 min

User Image
User Image
User Image

20 min

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

Cartooning

User Image  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:03 pm
To start, I notice that I am very heavy handed and that makes is difficult to control my light weights. I actually clamp the drawing tool so hard that my hand cramps quickly and I get pain in my shoulder.

I was looking into getting an easel. I have a drawing table, but my chair broke and I don't have a chair tall enough to use as a drafting chair. I tend to just place something in my lap and draw. (The drawing board or the notebook). I work on easing up when I work digitally, but it takes a lot of concentration.

Any tips?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:13 pm
I'd do some exercises with working lightly. Nothing I can offer will force you to do things lightly, but if you take your pencil and just work back and forth from dark to light it will help. This is a slow fix though, it takes a lot persistence for your body to remember it. It can be as simple as pushing hard on your pencil and lightening up on that pressure with nothing harder than a line if you want. Go for it - make lines. Or you can do some light line art and then start forming shadows on the interiors of it.

It's good to escape line dependency, usually I find people either focus heavily on either shapes or line, usually line. But rarely both at the same time without some heavy duty practice. Try and ween yourself off of using lines as much. Use them merely as guides for a bit and see what happens. Alas I can't think of anything too easy on that other than just persistence and repetition.

Perhaps somebody else will have something a bit more comfortable to work with.

Oh and for the record, I'm a lap drawer as well - so I can't say how much an easel would help here. I like the connection of having it close. I think that's a comfort thing, as long as you're not killing yourself with posture you should do what works best. If cramping and tensing up is what's really the deterrant there then you need to really concentrate on changing that habit. Unfortunately habits such as this are something that's usually accumulated over years and take some real effort to break. Be sure to take breaks every so often to break up that tension, use a warm washcloth on your neck if you find you start getting headaches from it as well, and so on. Be calm. Maybe even play some soothing music to change the mood.  

Yrindale

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:44 pm
Fortunately, I'm not looking for an easy fix. I'm looking for a solution. I actually do try to do many line to fine a lightness when I work digitally. I'll be sure to do that more with my analog pencil.

The reason I mention the easel is because in the videos that the school provides, the instructors use easels. I thought maybe standing away from the paper will help me rely more on my arm and less on my wrist. In any case, I'll be sure to do a page of lines before I start anything. In time, I'm sure it will help me relax my hand. Thank you for the advice.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:44 pm
You might want to try using a .3 mechanical pencil. Since the lead is thin, it will break easily if too much pressure is used. Over time, you will probably end up learning to lighten up when you draw.  

Razmaz

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:55 pm
Heh. I do. I go through pencils pretty fast. I'll keep at it though. I'm working on one right now. Hopefully, I will come out alright. There aren't really supposed to be much in the way of outlines.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:31 pm
Aah... I used to have a problem with pencil drawings where I would get progressively darker and darker and couldn't control my pressure after a while. I think a lot of -conscious- practice will help.

An easel may help, I don't really know, I just remember standing for 3 hours in my drawing classes and being very tired >_>. The good thing about easels and large paper is you can see the drawing straight on instead of a warped slanted view.

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:33 pm
T i r a e l
Aah... I used to have a problem with pencil drawings where I would get progressively darker and darker and couldn't control my pressure after a while. I think a lot of -conscious- practice will help.

An easel may help, I don't really know, I just remember standing for 3 hours in my drawing classes and being very tired >_>. The good thing about easels and large paper is you can see the drawing straight on instead of a warped slanted view.
I practiced making my lines very light this time, though it doesn't really show on this last thing I did.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:34 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=23987161

Have at it. mrgreen  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:45 pm
I have fallen off like WHAT. I'm embarrassed to even post this, but I won't get better if I don't. Please help. neutral
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/hardcandyvegetto/iceyserai.jpg
What I like about it: The spine.
What I don't like: Not focusing on the "camera" which defeats everything I was supposed to be doing.
Anyway, this is a failure, but any feedback on anatomy and perspective would be nice. Thanks in advance.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:04 pm
I wish I had a tablet, I'd do a drawover, but maybe someone else can handle that.
I'll explain as best I can with words.

First, I enjoy the pose and that you put folds of skin in the back. Your spine is pretty good. Did you use reference for this?

Now, for crits. The left shoulder is too far out, it looks dislocated. I think part of it is the large space between shoulder and neck. The higher you lift your shoulder the closer it will get to your neck. Her calves and thighs look about the same width, the thighs don't need to be much wider, but just a little would help I think. Same thing with the upper arm and forearm, the upper arm should be a touch wider, though I think you can probably thin out the lower arm slightly as well.

Many kudos to you for the pose and stuff though. I don't think it's a failure as you say, as long as you learn from it.  

Wispered

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:46 am
Eejbeej
I wish I had a tablet, I'd do a drawover, but maybe someone else can handle that.
I'll explain as best I can with words.

First, I enjoy the pose and that you put folds of skin in the back. Your spine is pretty good. Did you use reference for this?

Now, for crits. The left shoulder is too far out, it looks dislocated. I think part of it is the large space between shoulder and neck. The higher you lift your shoulder the closer it will get to your neck. Her calves and thighs look about the same width, the thighs don't need to be much wider, but just a little would help I think. Same thing with the upper arm and forearm, the upper arm should be a touch wider, though I think you can probably thin out the lower arm slightly as well.

Many kudos to you for the pose and stuff though. I don't think it's a failure as you say, as long as you learn from it.
Thatnks for looking at it for me. I'll revise it today or tomorrow. Depends on if I have time at work.

One thing though... The avatar is male. Does that change anything about your critique?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:07 am
Uhm...only that the shorts should probably be a teensy bit more full in the crotch. Not to be a perv, but it looks like a gals crotch. Sorry for mistaking it for a lass though -_-  

Wispered

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces