Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Sriae's sketchbook thing - updated 6/22 Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sriae

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:56 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Both were freebie sketches, done under 30 minutes. XD; The first one was very rushed and eh. Gaian avvies seem to hate me. D:

I'll have some preliminary sketches for prints up tomorrow, hopefully. whee  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:39 am
My one major complaint is on the first one the foxtail and...her shoulder? Are lined up too close, the lines risk flowing together. Bump the tail out a bit further, just a smidge, and everything will read fine. When lines are close together like that it kills depth and in some extreme cases makes things hard to read.  

Wispered

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:37 am
Ooh very nice sketches :3

I don't see any horrible anatomical flaws that jump out and they're both very pretty.

Eejbeej is right though, I couldn't tell that that was the fox tail until she pointed it out.

Looking forward to the preliminary sketches X3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:41 am
Very nice! They look absolutely lovely.

The only thing I can suggest is to work on putting more contrast into your sketches. You might not be able to get much darker, depending on the colored pencils you're using, but it seems like you could add much more volume to the hair in particular by leaving areas of light shading next to areas of dark shading. (Especially for hair highlights and such.) Making sharper lines might help you define certain things a little better as well.

Just another small thing - the eyes of the first one aren't quite symmetrical, but that's not very noticable anyway.

I really love these though - your anatomy looks impeccable. You were giving the away as freebies?! I want one. xd  

Iyou

Sriae

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 am
Thanks for the feedback everybody!

@ Eejbeej - Ooh, thanks for catching that. : O

@ Tirael - Thanks. :3

@ Iyou - Oh, these were just pencil sketches with the color gradient added on Photoshop. X3; I need to work on my highlights. Bah highlights. D< [has no patience for them] I was working with a dull #2 pencil so the sharp lines were kinda hard to do properly. >>; And yeah, I was doing them as freebies, though I'm quitting freebies and hopefully changing tracks to r&c.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Okay, I gave up on this one. D:

Let's see, things that I can tell are off: the lips' placement seems weird, the eyes are EW, and the neck has no volume whatsoever. Nor can you really tell what's what. XD; Clothing's just there, need to be more defined, folds, etc. Oh, and the hair was rushed so it's really crappy. >>;

Also, cannot seem to get any inspiration whatsoever for prints. D: I cannot seem to invision a pic with more than 2 or 3 people in it. ><;  

Sriae

Wispered

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:14 pm
I think if you bumped the lips down a touch that would really help. Also widen the mouth just a touch. Not much at all.
I think it's the mouth throwing me off the most, and the unfinished quality, but you explained that already.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:28 pm
I actually think that's really well done. The shading on her face is so delicate and pretty - it'd be nice to see it in the whole picture, but since this is a WIP anyway, that's kind of a moot point. xd Is it Hinata, by any chance?

The look on her face is kind of freaking me out, though. sweatdrop She keeps staring and staring and...

Maybe that's intentional, I dunno. But if you'd like her to have a more relaxed look on her face, you could lower her eyebrows a bit and also make her irises bigger so they intersect with her upper eyelid. Usually the only time you can see the entire iris is when someone is really surprised or purposely opening their eyes as widely as possible.  

Iyou

PinkGhost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:39 pm
I think it is very impressive the way it is now.

The eyes are very deep and beautiful, although I would suggest either making the upper lid lower or the irises bigger, to give it a more natural feel. Also, the eyebrows could stand to be a little less dark.

I like the way you shaded her nose! That part always gets me. >__< However, the enhanced shading of the nose is contrasting a lot with the lack of shading in her cheeks. I've always had a problem with this: have the nose stand out too much, and the cheeks seeming to be blank canvases. Perhaps add a little highlighting to her cheek bones and darkening the areas under the cheekbones, and the areas above the cheekbones, just slightly.

I think one of my favorite parts of this piece would be the mouth and the details you put into it. It stands out very well, and you even added some nice, subtle texture. As for the placement, I'd move it lower, just a touch.

As for her neck, in women, that vertical bone isn't really that prominent. I'm not too great with necks however, so I can't offer much help.

For the hair and clothes, I can only say this: finish it. ^w^ They look very promising as WIP's.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:40 pm
Wow! You did a really great job on coloring the face *__*!

The mouth is a smidge too far to the right and can be lowered a bit.

Her irises are showing a bit too much unless you want to give her that freaky look on purpose XD. Which would be fine too.

The dark shadow that's cast on her neck ends too quickly and her collarbones are too close together (actually they shouldn't be that visible anyhow).

The coloring on the clothes are really flat looking XD;; but you already mentioned that.

Lastly although you did a really good job with the skin tones, her face looks... flat? like everything but her nose is on one flat plane. Maybe try to make the shading on the lower sides of her face blend in more subtly?

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Sriae

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:10 pm
Once again, thanks for all the feedback, guys! X3 I'll be going back and fixing the things mentioned, once I get my tablet driver to stop freaking out on me. D<

And nope's actually not Hinata. Started out as a random doodle that looked like a guy, and I wanted to draw a girl, so I tried my damned best to make it look like a girl. XD; That was basically the point of this exercise: to make the person look like a girl. Cause I FAIL at realistic women. They usually turn out like transvestites. =_=  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:20 pm
I have that same problem! Ever since my art teacher told me to draw Julius Caesar, all my realistic girls look like guys. Or transvestites.
I think it's the noses...perhaps smaller, softer noses look more feminine? I don't know...I suppose softer eyebrows help too.
>__< I still can't figure it all out.  

PinkGhost

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:47 pm
XD I think you succeeded then. Because she does look female.

I think girls also havea generally softer face shape :3 less angles all over <3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:53 pm
Urg, I ended up forgetting to save before closing Photoshop, so I had to go back and redo a few things. D:

... I have this feeling that I should make her nose shorter. : O

Also, avoiding the hair like the plague at the moment. >>;  

Sriae

PinkGhost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:56 pm
It looks much better! I think you should definitely work on the hair now; it will make the picture look a lot better.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff