Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
T i r a e l - [Full] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:14 pm
User Image
  • 05.05.09 - reopened after long hiatus :3~
  • 04.07.07 - open!!! X'D wish me luck <3
  • 03.23.07 - It's been fun biggrin I'm gonna be on vacation until the 2nd... I will be taking new mentees at that time, previous mentees are always welcome to come back and ask for help whenever they wish <3
  • 03.07.07 - Added color theory exercise on page 5
  • 03.03.07 - Updated a few things: I will now have mentees for a month :3 and added MSN and Paintchat options for Real-Time feedback.

User Image

/Intro/
  • I'm at school or doing schoolwork 90% of the time.
  • I am not a professional artist and am mostly self-taught.
  • I'm very blunt when giving my opinion, so be aware of that before volunteering to be mentored by me.
  • I won't work well with people who are easily offended or are overly serious.
Gallery: deviantArt

/Availability/
  • My timezone is EST, which is GMT-5 hours.
  • I am online at random intervals throughout the day.
  • Try to contact me through this thread... if you want something more instantaneous, my MSN is puddingphobia@gmail.com, please tell me before adding me though.
  • You can also reach me through gaia PMs, Email (same as my msn), and DA notes.
  • NOTE: I'm very busy with school right now so give me 24 hours to reply to anything you post! However - if I don't respond in a timely manner, feel free to kick me through PM's Email, whatever!

/Media/CG, pencil, watercolor
/Programs/OpenCanvas, Photoshop
/Style/Painterly CG, semirealism, fantasy oriented
/Focus/The things I notice most about a picture are obvious anatomy errors, composition, and color.
/Weaknesses/ anatomy D:... I know I have a long way to go on this.

User Image

/Requirements/
  • Please have some sort of base to begin with... my only advice for COMPLETE beginners is to DRAW AND DRAW A LOT.
  • Be open minded smile .
  • Have a will to improve.

★ I will not hesitate to remove people from my list who are inactive or who just plain annoy me.
★ If I feel that I can't help you... I'll refuse or remove you from my list :F.

/Applying/
    When applying to be my mentee, please include the following:
  1. Link to samples of your art.
  2. What you want to learn from me.
  3. What you think you need the most help in.
  4. Why you think I can help you.

/If you are my Mentee/
  • While I am not perfect, I will give you advice to the best of my abilities.
  • I will be very honest and not hold back.
  • I can guarantee feedback on everything you want me to look at... from the first rough idea sketches to the final picture... unless you obviously didn't spend time or effort on it.
  • I can do real-time help sessions in paintchat, we just need to set up a time and location.
  • Please remind me here if you posted something in your mentee thread. I do check them but I may miss something or think I already replied when I didn't.

/If you are NOT my Mentee/
  • Always go to your own Mentor or your Mentee thread for help first.
  • If you have something that you feel is in my area of expertise feel free to post it here and I will try to help.
  • The feedback is not guaranteed and official mentees get priority.

/THE LIST/
    I will be taking 2 mentees at a time. Mentees will remain with me for a month :3. I feel that this way my mentees can get different inputs on their art from other members of htis community. Feel free to come back for a crit here and there though... The signup date is written next to the mentees.
  • Noirabu - p.8 - 05/05/09
  • Pomato Soup - p.8 - 05/05/09

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:22 am
Hey, I'll sign up under you if you don't mind.
Our styles kinda differ, but I'm wanting mine to loosen up a bit and get more life and movement to it, a quality that yours has.
Besides that, I like your colours and I'm such a noob when it comes to colouring.

My DA is Here

If you're willing to mentor me I'll post more specific pictures as I get them done. You can get a hold of me through here or DA, whatever suits your fancy.

Thanks. ^_^  

Wispered

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:33 pm
Heya Eejbeej <3 sure thing! /adds to list/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:10 pm
Hola, I'd like to be your mentee, if that's alright.

Once again, our style differ a tad but you draw dynamically [yay inability to speak in proper English. D:] and that's something I'd like to learn. And plus, MUSCLES~ *_*

My dA is here and my blog/sketchblog is here.  

Sriae

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:57 pm
Sriae
Hola, I'd like to be your mentee, if that's alright.

Once again, our style differ a tad but you draw dynamically [yay inability to speak in proper English. D:] and that's something I'd like to learn. And plus, MUSCLES~ *_*

My dA is here and my blog/sketchblog is here.

sure thing biggrin ~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:15 pm
Hey I'd like to be your mentee too 3nodding if that's cool.

Ha sorry I can't see your DA, or anyones for that matter (I have this problem thing in my computer where I can surf the web except DA for some reason, which is a whole different story), but I've seen the other samples and sketches in your art shop. My DA is here. Oekaki profile is kiddymoo.  

Mellow Noise

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:31 am
Mellow Noise
Hey I'd like to be your mentee too 3nodding if that's cool.

Ha sorry I can't see your DA, or anyones for that matter (I have this problem thing in my computer where I can surf the web except DA for some reason, which is a whole different story), but I've seen the other samples and sketches in your art shop. My DA is here. Oekaki profile is kiddymoo.

Sure thing whee

And woah you can't see DA? @__@;; that must be annoying...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:30 am
T i r a e l
Sure thing whee

And woah you can't see DA? @__@;; that must be annoying...

It's pretty unbearable gonk

Anyways... I got a sketch... thing. His upper body looks very wrong. I tried making him hunch over a little bit and also bring his shoulders forward... He still looks awkward... And the legs of the girl too. Her left leg is supposed to be backed a litte and her right leg is supposed to be kind of turned inward, but I couldn't get it look like the right position. Her heel is supposed be lifted. confused
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Mellow Noise

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:34 pm
omg! That's such a cute picture *___*! I think you already did a great job with it since the pose is complicated too @o@

here's my drawover:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/junk/mellowdrawover.jpg

Sorry about all the red lines sweatdrop not all of them are needed, a lot were just to help myself see what's going on.

ok here's a few things that can be fixed:

1) The girl's leg to our right. I understand that it's supposed to be bending inwards, but from this angle bending inwards means her knee is coming towards us, you have it bent a bit too much so that the pose is really akward. Just straighten her leg out a bit more... and the knee in the back should be higher.
2) The folds in her skirt that define where her right (our left) leg is are too far to the left at the top.. it makes her right leg look like it connects funny to her torso... and you can't tell how her toso twists there to face us.
3) I actually don't see that much wrong with the guy's torso... I would just lower his shoulder blades a bit and make his upper back stick out more.
4) both their forearms are a bit off @_@;; the guy's hand should stick out a bit more or else his arm is too short (like.. REALLY SHORT) The girl's forearms are too LONG if you see where they should connect to her upper arm. I think you could work on hands in general a bit x3

lastly I think the guy's head is a little big XD;; but that isn't a big issue.

x_x;; I hope that helps :3 and once again, really cute picture <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:40 pm
whee 4laugh whee
Oh man that was brilliant! Thank you for the anatomical corrections and the draw-over! It helps alot. Oh wow everything makes sense now xD!

Oh that's okay with the head. I thought it was big too. I ended up shrinking it too much before though, but I'll try resizing it by a bit 3nodding

Anyways thanks!  

Mellow Noise

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:19 pm
whee no problem, just glad I could help @_@;;

X3 I can't wait to see more or when it's done : D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:09 pm
Ooookay, now I noticed he looks like he's gonna tip over, and as my usual complaint he's stiff. Avi art for a friend, hit me with all ya got.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ugh, the marker shading disappears on screen. I need to use more contrast.  

Wispered

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:17 pm
Hey Eejbeej whee

I like how you made him muscular instead of the wimpy boys we see all the time surprised !

A few things:

1) his head should really be more to the left
2) I'm not sure what his left arm (our right) is doing
3) His right forearm is too short
4) The whole balance thing --> when you stand you're usually putting more weight on one foot than the other, he looks like he's leaning back but his legs are not underneath him correctly and our eye can't see where his weight is distributed, thus making it look like he's about to tip over.

Here is my drawover: it's not perfect but you get the point:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/junk/Eejbeej.jpg

I made his right leg straighter to give him more stability. I bent his left leg more and shifted his head.

xP and I know that scanner suck the life out of traditional media, good job with the markers!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:53 am
OMStars! That drowover is brilliant. I'm such a visual learner so it helps so much. I have such a bad tendency to have my characters off balance.

Thanks so much ^_^  

Wispered

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:27 pm
Aah glad I could help :3

I think most artists are visual learners at least to some extent~

Remember that you don't have to do EVERYTHING that I mention, but please take suggestions into consideration etc. in future pictures whee

Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff