Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Live 8 Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:20 pm
I'm guessing a fair proportion of you checked this out or are still checking this out. What are your thoughts on the whole? Will it be effective? Who put on the best performance? What was the highlight for you?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:48 pm
Im still watching it. The London one has finished but the bbc is showing the Phili one. (Which seems really small compared to the London one)

My highlights:
SnowPatrol were amazing.
The sissor sissters were good too. I dont usually like them that much but they were good. Robbie Williams was good too and I usually highly dislike him.
The horns. (in Sargent Pepper) I just think that they dont get used in not classical music enough and it was great to see them in something like that.
The Kaiser Chiefs in Phili rocked.

I think that live8 will help the leaders to understand that this really matters to everyone. I am a little worried that climate change will be overlooked but if they suceed in making poverty history I wont be too bothered.

Has everyone signed the petition? 26.5 million people last I heard, that has to make a difference. Its found at http://www.live8live.com/list/

If anyone is wondering why I am saying Phili and not the full word it is because I cant spell the full word.

Im going to get back to watching it now.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:53 pm
Pink Floyd were unbelievable. I'm pretty glad I missed all the new Britpop-y stuff.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:57 pm
I missed Pink Floyd. I dont know how unless they were on earlier on today but I am rather miffed about it. I also missed Coldplay. Gah I really wanted to hear the Bittersweet Symphony not really a duo but duo will do.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:58 pm
Pink Floyd were last. Them and Paul McCartney were the only two really good acts, I felt.
EDIT: Actually, Madonna and Robbie Williams were both very good acts. I can't stand them, but they're both excellent performers.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:04 pm
whapcapn
Pink Floyd were last. Them and Paul McCartney were the only two really good acts, I felt.
EDIT: Actually, Madonna and Robbie Williams were both very good acts. I can't stand them, but they're both excellent performers.

Then how on earth did I miss them. Im sure I was watching them. Maybe I fell asleep or something. Or maybe I had to do the dishes. I saw when the bit when they sung all the beetle songs right at the end. With HeyJude and all the performers on stage.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:07 pm
Um, yeah. I can't see how you'd have missed them, really.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:17 pm
I really dont know how I did. I was even looking out for them. *insert random obscenities here*
Maybe I did see them and then I got abducted by aliens and they wiped my memory. Or maybe it was the toaster of doom. ksfhgajjakfilsdgdu
I will see if I can watch that part of the show on the internet tomorrow. It will involve having to go to aol but I guess it would be worth seeing all the bands I missed/have no memory of seeing. I didnt start watching it til 5 so I know how I missed coldplay but its just wierd.
I think I had better stop thinking about it now and just go to bed.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:20 pm
U2
Coldplay
Keane
elton john
Robbie williams
The Who
all where AMAZING!
if it doesnt make a difference the leaders dont deserve their posts as they dont listen to the people.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:23 pm
Bob Geldof was also amazing! heart  

Mr. Bono Vox

Ares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:58 am
Geldof is the shiz. Seriously.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:38 am
Tommy Vox
U2
Coldplay
Keane
elton john
Robbie williams
The Who
all where AMAZING!
if it doesnt make a difference the leaders dont deserve their posts as they dont listen to the people.

While I would agree I'm not sure aging rock-stars count as 'the people'...  

Fourcolour

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:42 am
Personally I thought the best acts were as follows.

Snoop Dogg
Coldplay/Richard Ashcroft
The Who
Elton John (despite awful sound and Pete)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:53 am
ice_illusion
(Which seems really small compared to the London one)

In terms of the actual show or the number of people who turned up? -- roughly ten times as many people were in Philidelphia.

I was sick, so I did actually watch pretty much the whole thing from 2.00pm to midnight, or whenever it finished, and then a couple of hours of the one in Philidelphia. My highlights were Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Coldplay, R.E.M., Dido, Snoop Dogg, Robbie Williams and Madonna, particularly in terms of showmanship where I might not ordinarily choose to listen to some of these people.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:01 am
It was all very good fun, but I'm not really convinced that it'll do any good. Overseas, most people didnt know what it was actually about and even over here people are talking more about the music than the actual aim of it all.

Good music though, mostly.

The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games