Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Split Personality Yaoi -- Frequent much? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
  Yes, please.
View Results

Ouka of Heaven and Hell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:34 am
I've just noticed! Has anyone else realized how frequent it is for a character in yaoi/shonen-ai to have a split personality??
I mean, think about it.

Yuki from Gravitation.
Ritsuka from Loveless.
Sora/Yoru and Sunao/Ran from Sukisyo.

I can't think of any else, but name some if you can. Do you think that split personalities make the shows better, or is it getting old?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:57 pm
its makes them hot. whee

thing is, its always a different kinda story, so as long as there are lots of twists and lots of angst...im pretty much good. mrgreen  

angelBmine

MooMooJuice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:17 pm
Um, no offence, but I don't think three characters count as frequent. ^^;;;;

And, no, I've never really payed attention. ( But then again, I also read very few yaoi/BL stories )  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:51 pm
I think it makes the a little Mysteries wink  

Neftusare

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:30 pm
I don't think 3 titles out of a gazillion counts as lots of split personalities.

Not to mention that Yuki doesn't have a split personality, he's just a b*****d.

Also, I'm iffy about calling Ritsuka someone with a split personality. He has some sort of amnesia. He's not walking around with two or more personalities that alternately reveal themselves in different situations. Also, for the record, Loveless is not yaoi, or even boy love.

So, no, there's not a lot of split personalities in yaoi. You just don't seem to have read/watched a lot of yaoi.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:48 am
On the subject of Yuki Eiri having a split personality: I could swear that there was a few lines in the manga - not the anime - where Yuki tells Shuichi point-blank that he blacks out and doesn't remember having said things later. Generally, it's when he's said sweet, kind things to Shuichi or admitted his love. Either he's got two personalities or totally yanking Shuichi - and the reader's - chain in a case of serious denial.  

Bertram Silverwebb

SilverMaple
Crew

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:53 am
Eh... You mean like schizophrenics in yaoi? Because I've never encountered them... neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:34 am
It makes the yaoi better when someone has a issue. That way the couple can over come it.  

Claire_Hiwatari

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Where the 3 Rivers Meet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:42 am
It's a conflict. A story has to have conflict to be good, but I think they need to maybe try adding different conflicts.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:12 pm
Come to think of it, aren't those stories mostly drama genres?

Generally speaking, those titles have a sort of schitzophrenia in them to increase the dramatic-ness of the story. I mean, sure lots of fanfictions are like that, but aren't those all drama's too? confused

But, yea, split-personlities are still extremely hot!  

BiawKasai

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:01 pm
Bertram Silverwebb
On the subject of Yuki Eiri having a split personality: I could swear that there was a few lines in the manga - not the anime - where Yuki tells Shuichi point-blank that he blacks out and doesn't remember having said things later. Generally, it's when he's said sweet, kind things to Shuichi or admitted his love. Either he's got two personalities or totally yanking Shuichi - and the reader's - chain in a case of serious denial.

But you must take into account that Yuki is a drinker. It's probably a side effect of his drinking. He gets affectionate just before he blacks out. It could be a side effect of illness, but its probably a little of both with a side of denial. It' ain't just a river in Egypt kids, it's Yuki's way of life.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:49 pm
Yuki Eiri doesn’t have a MPD. He would need a whole lot more than a few black outs and a traumatic past. Those two symptoms can be attributed a whole number of reasons that have little to do with MPD and/or schizophrenia. Also if he did have a dissociative disorder, I think Tatsuha, Mika, Tohma and even, Shuichi would have made mention of it at some point. It’s kind of hard not to notice when someone you’ve known for a long time and/or live with starts acting incredibly different than how s/he normally acts.

Also when Eiri’s nice, he’s still a bit of an a**. It can be considered Eiri-like. Another personality wouldn’t do things in an Eiri-like way. Like Forchan Cookie’s said, the black outs can be attributed to drinking.

Finally, I don’t consider Maki Murakami the kind writer that wouldn’t exploit something like that, fully and outrageously.

I'll say the same for Ritsuka. The anime gave no indications to any dissociative disorder. Mostly he's suffering from some kind of amnesia that was probably caused from a traumatic event. That and a crazy mom have thoroughly screwed with his mental health but he's got a pretty secure hold on reality.

PS: MPD is not and will never be schizophrenia. They are two completely different disorders.  

LadyNox
Vice Captain

Ryosei_Hime

Fashionable Lunatic

5,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:16 am
I have to agree with the above post fully. I have MPD myself. I think I'd know it in a series if I saw it. And Ritsuka does have amnesia but as far as being crazy - I've gotta say it's his mother whose nuts. XD
^^; Anyways, I don't think it's frequent but I don't read a lot of Manga and in comparison to other people I haven't watched a lot of truly Shounen Ai or Yaoi shows. I mostly deal in slash of non-shounen ai shows. So I couldn't say for sure. Sukisyo's the only one I know of with real MPD inflicted characters.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:18 pm
-cant put into words-

"opposite attracts"

mrgreen  

Firey Mitsuki

Ichinilla

Friendly Gekko

6,025 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:08 pm
Split personality theme= overused.

Though, the best example of split personality in my opinion is Sakuma Ryuichi from Gravitation.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff