Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Who tend to be more emo: Seme's or Uke's? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sora_Kamiya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:39 pm
When it comes to character development in shounen-ai and yaoi, the decision on which character will have the mysterious past or dipression-inducing condition includes but only two options: the Seme and the Uke. Which do you think ends up being the one who needs the cheering up, the seme or the uke? I think it usually tends to be the seme, because seme's are usually depicted as being hard-boiled and emotionally repressed.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:09 pm
Hmmm, that's a tough one; because when you asked that the first story that happened to come to mind was "Passion". The uke is the one with the... more depressing personality...

I think it's more equal than anything else... but ... Depends on the type of story, really.

^^  

ranma064

Katastrophic_Kate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:45 pm
Hmmm that's actually a hard question. My first reaction was to say uke, but the I actually thoughtt about it and realised that it really depends on the story.
In Gravitation, it's hard to choose because Shuichi's personality has him Bursting into tears and getting obcenely depressed one minute, then bouncing off the walls the next. But Yuki has his whole dark angsty past and even though he tried to hide it, he gets depressed a lot.
I think I like characters like that the best, though. When there isn't just one that needs to be cheered up and supported, but where they support each other.

wow that was longer than I intended....^^  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:51 am
That's hard.......umm.....I think the seme's are most likely to be emo. Becuse like Kate said it's hard to see Shuichi to be emo. But, then I think how an uke would be crushed if his seme left him and I can see him be emo. But then I think about Yuki and how he would be depressed that his Shuichi left him and be really depressed but not emo. And then I think about how it depends on the charicter's personality.  

Banned_189373

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:38 am
Omigawd I love this discussion. X3

Well, to be honest, it depends on what type of semes or ukes you're talking about. It can go one of two ways: You can be like Angst King Yuki Eiri and have some sort of traumatic past which triggered your cold, aloof exterior, rolleyes or you can be the weepy, unloved uke who so desperately needs to be in some kind of relationship at all costs. Once again, rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:03 am
I've never really thought about that way
O=
Interesting.
But I would have to agree with what everyone
else has been saying here.
It would have to depend on the character's personality.
And I suppose that even if the character does undergo
a traumatic experience doesn't really mean that they will
most likely be emo. But it happens, yknow? It's kinda cliche
but we love it.
xD
At least I do-- as long as it's not over-the-top cliche.

r3veRse[Psych0]loGy`Pix!e

Ouka of Heaven and Hell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:24 am
Yes, I have to agree with everyone else, too. It depends on the type of story, and it usually works out pretty well either way. It IS possible to have an emo uke, and not have anything to do with their lover dumping them. XP
PERFECT example of the counter-emo yaoi couples.

As mentioned, in Gravi, Eiri Yuki is by far the mega emo Seme.

BUT!

Why didn't anyone think or mention Ritsuka from Loveless?
He is the mega emo uke, fur sure. 3nodding
And HE'S emo because of his split personality, mother beating him, losing his brother, and just a LITTLE BIT of Soubi confusing him.

Y'know, I just noticed....Someone ALWAYS has a split personality! eek
...Well, not always, but it's pretty frequent. Hmm...maybe I'll start a topic on that.... ninja

My rambling is done.

Fin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:58 pm
Hmmm.

I'll go with what they said. D:  

UlooAloo

Bertram Silverwebb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:31 am
Like all the others have said here, it depends on the story. Yuki is definitely the seme in Gravitation, but he's way, way more emo than Shuichi. Shuichi is emotional and very flighty. He does have times when he get a bit depressed, but Yuki is almost never happy. To me, that makes him the more emo of the two.

I haven't gotten to read Loveless yet, although I really would like to. However, from what I've seen and heard... Ritsuka is the uke and the emo...

He's got a split personality, too? rofl Maybe that's how you can pick out the emo of a pair: Look at which one has the split personality. The alternate personality was half of Yuki's problem and the main source of Shuichi's confusion.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:58 pm
Should we include seke's in this discussion? Like you know how emo Sasuke from Naruto can be, right? Well, he's never always the seme or always the uke, so how would we classify titles like that?  

Sora_Kamiya

saturns_child

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:18 pm
It is very hard to tell which one is an emo sme or uke. To me I like it when both have a little dark sided past to them. So will they both are trying to help each other out with their sadnees and try to deal with their own, which cause trouble in the relationship, but in the end they'll end up perfectly togather and happy. Yeah love those story, not even sure if there one like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:09 pm
*takes a deep breath*

Well, like everyone else said, it's all about the personality. Whether the seme or the uke are emo just depends on who they are. Yuki is usually the emo one in Gravitation while Ritsuka from Loveless tends towards Emo-ness.

As for the Sasuke dilemma (stated by Sora_Kamiya) I would have to say that since the emo half in a relationshi isn't defined, then neither is its classification. It's us the fans that are coming up with couples like that so the intimate personality of the character may vary from story to story. Overall, it might be best to classify things like that by pairings (obviously), then into seme-uke relationship status.

all done! mrgreen  

BiawKasai

Bunniechild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:45 am
blaugh It could really go either way.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:19 pm
At first, I would have leaned more towards seme, just because of their colder and less social personalities. But after reading these, I guess it could go either way.  

Look to the Skye

sjggfjshgjfsjsj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:40 pm
With all of the ones I read, the seme is more emo. Semes are usually more brooding and then the ukes are all bubbly. But I like it when it's the other way atound.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff