Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Initiation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:24 am
Initiation

The number of times this word gets mentioned is astounding in the pagan community. It is considered to be an essential part of several pagan practises, yet often seems to take a backseat to the glamour of magic and spells. This, I believe, is partially because it is such a personal experience and partially because it shows a depth of dedication. It is an essential part of several pagan practises.

There are many kinds of initiation. Each sect will have its own guidelines, own rules and therefore its own ways of initiating someone into their society. The shamanic initiations of the Siberian peninsula are nothing like the ceremonies performed today in several contemporary circles. The sense of the Christian initiation is very different from the Wiccan ceremony.

What is often forgotten is that initiation can apply to many different circumstances. It simply means " the beginning." There are Christian initiations in the form of Christenings and Communion. There are even college initiations in the form of Fresher's Week and (in the States) hazing. The initiate is making a statement of commitment to whatever it is they are beginning. It is a sentiment of devotion or dedication to continue along this path. Even birth is a type of initiation.

This thread is a place in which people may share their experiences of initiation and perhaps shed some light on different pagan practises thereof.*

*I understand that several parts of these rituals may be oathbound.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:46 am
Does "being thrown in at the deep end" count?

My Wiccan initiation is not something I take seriously these days, not something I put any stock in.
The "initiation" I received from the fam-trad is, like-wise, not something I put stock in.
The reality of the world and having priesthood dumped on me, that's where I put the stock. I was, the last time I was depressed like this, not really able to see any meaning in my life. Someone called over needing priesting and it clicked with me.
My initiation is on going and continuous. Every time I priest for someone, the initiation goes one step further. No ceremony, no marking of it, just the doing of it.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Starlock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:31 am
As Reagun insightfully points out, any initation is usually more symbolic than actual. The title in-of-itself means nothing unless you act in a way that lends support to that title. The more you act under what the title represents, the more hold you have on it. And then there are those who have no formal title but have them plastered on by others because they effectively act within the role of that title. I've heard several stories about Neopagan clergy becoming clergy because others labeled them as such because of their role within the community.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:09 am
Pelta
It is considered to be an essential part of several pagan practises, yet often seems to take a backseat to the glamour of magic and spells.
I think this might be a bit hasty. As they are not mutually inclusive concepts- there isn't a reason I can see that one should hold more weight in the pagan scene than another.

After all, one need not be initiated to practice magic or spellwork. And while a number of popular paths have standards for initiation, magic as a practice does not.

Quote:
The sense of the Christian initiation is very different from the Wiccan ceremony.
I'm inclined to suggest that that depends on which sects of Christendom and Wicca we are speaking of.

Quote:
What is often forgotten is that initiation can apply to many different circumstances. It simply means " the beginning."
Not really.

Quote:
There are even college initiations in the form of Fresher's Week and (in the States) hazing.
Don't forget the rest of the world. rolleyes

Quote:
The initiate is making a statement of commitment to whatever it is they are beginning. It is a sentiment of devotion or dedication to continue along this path. Even birth is a type of initiation.
I completely disagree with this assertion.

For example, one can be initiated into Reiki and not practice. One can be initiated into a coven and leave. Initiation is a mark of acceptance by the group one is joining, not a mark of devotion by the person who joins unless specifically designed to be so.

My initiation into Emerald Dragon Reiki was pretty simple. It's a very traditional school, they used the same master glyphs as the bulk of the Usui trads.  

TeaDidikai

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:10 pm
TeaDidikai
Pelta
The initiate is making a statement of commitment to whatever it is they are beginning. It is a sentiment of devotion or dedication to continue along this path. Even birth is a type of initiation.
I completely disagree with this assertion. For example, one can be initiated into Reiki and not practice. One can be initiated into a coven and leave. Initiation is a mark of acceptance by the group one is joining, not a mark of devotion by the person who joins unless specifically designed to be so.

I agree with TeaDidikai. Initiation, at least in my context, is sort of like a wedding. It can be a meaningful ceremony that marks the start of a lifelong relationship and the beginning of a family. It can have profound effects on everyone involved. It can kick-start certain processes (the metaphorical consumation in the honeymoon suite). It can also be a meaningless pagent that ends with a divorce! smile Either way, it is an experience that can't be un-lived, and can't be done alone!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:41 am
It's a critical transitionary period, usually marked by a ritual of some sort. I always think about it as relating more to the individual and their overall perception than standing in a community, but that's because I'm pretty much exclusively a solo practitioner.  

Gideon Starorzewski

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:14 am
I have been initiated into my Reiki tradition, and I have to say that I felt no different afterwards (except now my hands do that "getting hot" thing). I was initiated into my Kindred, but the big difference is I'm a member, not anything else. I keep waiting for the gods to initiate me into something, but judging by the giggles when I bring it up, it's not going to happen. I think they know my weaknesses as well as I do and aren't willing to feed this one. Stupid gods. emo

I think initiation requires a context - a community, if you will. Initiation is a "you were this and now you are this" sort of thing. The two things need to be grounded in reality, however; 13 is no longer the age of majority, for example, so "coming of age" rituals then often ring hollow. There is a mystique about initiation in the contemporary US culture because it is so rare, I think; initiation is a walking through of a door, not anything after it, and often the "anything after it" is the true trial by fire.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:05 pm
Curious- but did your Reiki initiation hold anything outside of the attunement and instruction?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:10 am
TeaDidikai
Curious- but did your Reiki initiation hold anything outside of the attunement and instruction?

Nope. Should it have?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:33 am
I am just curious and you can tell me it's none of my business.. but what is reiki all about? I am trying to learn about different things.  

wikkedpixie

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:43 am
wikkedpixie
I am just curious and you can tell me it's none of my business.. but what is reiki all about? I am trying to learn about different things.

Reiki is a system of energy transfer used for healing which began in the China/Japan area and has spread quite widely. It has to do with channeling a certain kind of energy to another person. Higher degrees mean you are equipped to do reiki at a distance and to teach it.

Personally, I've been having more luck with the ad hoc healing system developed by SilentGargoyle. sweatdrop Reiki rarely makes me better, though it appears to make other people better a lot. I apparently cure headaches by being present. Wish it worked on mine. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:02 pm
A lot of things get lumped under the broad term of initiation and to my mind thats really not fair to the journey of the individual to consider them all in the same light.
I have had nine different initiations (not including those given to me without my choice) within different traditions paths etc including Reiki Wicca and other magical traditions as well as to the clans and the Gods. All of them are different and all of them serve different purposes. And even within that context, each would be experianced differently by each person that undergoes each rite.
The one thing that seems common to all in my experiance is ecceleration.
Some of them nudge you, some of them physically cleanse you and others will stick a rocket up your arse and light the fuse only moments after having killed you and rebirthing you. If your journey, your life or your mind doesnt progress after an initiation there is something amiss imo.
But thats only one aspect to it. There are also gifts, tools, abilities and skills that are given at initiations. These are usually some sort of assistance for the impending rocket up the arse XP  

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items