Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Why am I so bad at this??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Queen.Cellophane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:18 pm
I'm not so well off with this 'diet' thing.
I just ate ice cream
To celebrate me getting on the A honnor role. (Not my idea- mother's idea.)
Any advice? How do I stop myself?
Plus I kinda need sugestions on healthy foods. I'm kinda picky eater (if something has a weird texture, I can't eat it because I gag sweatdrop Like raw tomatoes and oatmeal)
Thanks,
Queenie  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:04 am
Go into the Weight Watchers Discussion thread, which I started. I've posted the Good Health Guidelines preached by Weight Watchers. There's a LOT of leeway in the program.

Next time someone wants to celebrate something, say, "Great, let's go out to a movie," or on a hike, or shopping for something small. The important thing is that food is for nutrition, not celebration or consolation. If someone really wants to get something foodish for a celebration, get a diet soda with a maraschino cherry in it. It'll look festive, but not sabotage your weight loss success.

That's also good advice when you have people who continually push high-fat, high-calorie foods on you. Just say, "I'm not hungry right now," or "That sounds good, but it's not really what I'm in the mood for." If you're a guest at someone's home and they insist that you have dessert after eating, it's even easier. Say with an expression of apology and sincere regret, "I just loved the meal so much that I'm more than satisfied now. If I ate another bite, I'd be overly full." That way, you've turned down the food that isn't in your best interest, AND you've done it in such a way that you've complimented the host's cooking and hospitality!  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Queen.Cellophane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:50 pm
Accually that was really a good tip.
And I'll check out your thread next!
Thanks so much!!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:57 am
If you stick with a serving of ice cream that's no problem, when I was eating out of the dorm cafe and had access to soft serving, I would have a small bowl almost every day. The dorm put out little ice cream bowls and I had a 1/2 cup serving and factored it into my daily calories. Of course I only ate it if it sounded tasty that day but that one serving was as satisfying as a larger amount and kept me happy.

When we go for ice cream (unless it is Cold Stone because I hate Cold Stone because their ice cream tastes like soap) I just get a small ice cream with no toppings or maybe some fruit, especially if it isn't sitting in sugar syrup). Fast food? McDonald's one double cheese burger will usually completely satisfy any Mcdonald's craving I might have and I usually top it off with a salad. If I feel like fries (rarely, don't want to risk limp fry syndrome fast food often has) I usually order a kids' meal rather than an adult value meal (unless I totally crave a Big Mac, which happens a couple times a year).

A big hurdle to overcome when you come from a culture of "clean plates" is to leave food on a plate once you're not hungry anymore, I remember the first time I was out at 4am with some floormates eating at IHOP and I had my eggs and one country pancake and some hasbrowns and then just didn't eat the food I didn't want and brought it home for future consumptions. That moment was awesome for me, I looked at the food and didn't feel the need to eat it so I didn't.

My cousin did the "half" diet to shed 30 pounds of extra fat, whatever food she had she immediately cut in half and threw a half out, a little wasteful but if your body doesn't need it... Of course my cousin also works out religiously and is a forest fire fighter (mostly a trainer these days, unless she has to go after one of her stranded fighters) so she has a phyiscal job - but more physical when she was a low-rank in her 20's than now in her 30s. Whatever works for ya, as long as it is a mostly healthy (clean) diet and some exercise.

Listen to your body and if you really don't want a treat be firm but polite about refusing, just tell people you don't feel like whatever food is being offered (make sure you're actually eating food because sometimes people press food because they are worried about your intake, plus your body will shed more calories if it doesn't think you're in a famine).

Obviously this is just my opinion on food and you have to figure out what works for you personally but I hope it helped.  

dangerousfish

HIM_fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:47 pm
instead of ice cream why not try frozen yogurt?
thats what i eat when i want ice cream...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:46 am
When I want sweets I eat dryers fruit bars. They're better than a popsicle, and the strawberry kind has cunks of fruit in them(YUM) and the best part is its only like 80 calories.  

BobbySoxer01

Oshii-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:39 pm
Because my eating plan permits it, I eat a bowl of whipped cream or make a special kind of cheesecake. (Cream cheese, splenda, eggs) I'm on the Suzanne Somers eating plan.

If you really hate oatmeal, I'd recommend making it with skim milk but using cinnamon to add flavor. It tastes great. wink  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games