Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Is it possible?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it?
  Of course!
  I think you need to re-measure!
View Results

Groovy Spleen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 am
Or am I measuring wrong?
I thought I'd lost a few inches since last month when I measured myself. I seem to have lost a LOT of inches since then.

BUst- down 3 inches
Stomach-down 2.5 inches
Hips- down 1 inch
Thigh-down 1 inch
Calf- down 1/2 inch
Upper arm-down 1 inch

Total: 9 inches

Is this possible to lose in a month or is there something wrong with my measuring technique?
I always measure from the widest part of my stomach, hips and bust.
And around mid thigh, calf upper arm.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:17 am
Did you just start a program? When we first start something we can see results like that. It's also why scamy informercials will have people, especially large people, say they lost 10 inches in 14 days or 1 dress size in 14 days and be true while over all the product could be a bunch of crap. If you're not on a crash program you should be able to keep those inches off and depending on how large you are you may even see some more results like that.

If you've been working out for a long time and suddenly dropped a bunch of inches that would be kinda weird but may still just be your body giving up some fight to kept it's fat - otherwise, awesome. Or I guess if it was partly caused by dehydration, that would be bad.

If you find someone who's good with the calipers you could start keeping track of an estimate of your body fat, even though inch losses are a pretty good judge compared to the scale it could still mean you're losing some muscle mass along with your fat... I think.

If you do do calipers that's the kind of thing that the same person has to measure because they're such tricky bastards to use.

measure twice, cut once! xd

Baring any weirdness - congradulations  

dangerousfish

Groovy Spleen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:27 pm
I've been losing weight for a while, and started some new toning type exercises the other month. Pilates and resistance exercise like pushups.
3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:45 pm
Groovy Spleen
I've been losing weight for a while, and started some new toning type exercises the other month. Pilates and resistance exercise like pushups.
3nodding

Awesomeness! That's were the inch lose came from you woke up your body's muscle and it started to overhaul itself into more of a tighter badass.

Here's a cool visual exercise. Picture (or hey, go do if ya got itXD) filling a bucket full of dry sand and one of wet sand and then turn each one over. The dry sand blobs over everything but the wet sand holds the shape of the bucket (well, if you got skill turning it overXD). The blobby dry sand is like fat making you larger in the inches but the muscle holds itself upright and doesn't need as many inches per pound. So building muscle will a) burn more fat just by you building and maintaining your sexy lean muscle mass that is a calorie burning machine (seriously fat is a giant lazy a** and eats a fraction of the calories to survive that active muscle does to do that same survival thing) b)you'll lose inches because of the denser muscle starting to grow and take over some areas that used to be mainly fat but you built the muscle and burnt the fat. Fat can't turn into muscle or vice versa anymore than apples can turn into oranges, you probably knew that but some people think you'll build muscle and then stop maintaining it and it turns to fat but what really happened is your muscle shrank and your fat grew. gonk

replicas of 5 pounds of fat next to 5 pounds of muscle

Good job on adding new things to your program! Your body is loving you.
I love pics like those, they reallllly inspire me to burn fat and build muscle. whee  

dangerousfish

Groovy Spleen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:20 pm
Ahhh!
That picture is AWESOME!
I have been trying to gain more muscle mass/muscle endurance as opposed to just losing weight.
I've really been liking the feeling! I can poke my arms and feel nice hard muscles unerneath. It's great n_n  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:31 pm
Groovy Spleen
Ahhh!
That picture is AWESOME!
I have been trying to gain more muscle mass/muscle endurance as opposed to just losing weight.
I've really been liking the feeling! I can poke my arms and feel nice hard muscles unerneath. It's great n_n

Oh man, I know all about poking muscle. It's a great feeling - that and having collar bones. xd

Make sure you're eating for muscle, since we're eating to lose weight it's not enough food to go on a bulking phase for serious muscle but eating plenty of lean protein gives your muscle the building blocks it needs to repair and make itself stronger and bigger. lowfat cottage cheese and nonfat yogurt are my best friends - that and protein powder.

weights are less than a dollar a pound if you ever want to buy some, you can find them at a Super Center store or sporting goods store. Your beginning weights will probably be under 20 pounds and then you can buy the neoprene colored weights that they sell to women because they're pretty and it makes them want to buy weights more than the uncoated black ones. xd But they also are good for looking and knowing right off the bat that the red ones are the 10 pounders and they help with sweat/gripping issues so I don't hate on them like some people do, they're still weights (and they're more pretty. xd )

I also have a post on a guide to getting started with weights, some place around here. I think it's still on the first page.here it is

cardio, weight bearing activities, and food. All of it brings everything together. Sweetness.  

dangerousfish

Yuura-Sama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:40 am
I say it is possible.

Share your method on doing it please .  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:33 pm
Wow,Great job!  

Faux-Lanzer

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games