Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
[Hair Color Discussion] - Did you Notice? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shmexy-emo-guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:46 am
Did you ever notice that in most yaoi and shonen-ai(not all, but a very large amount) that the Seme usually has dark hair and the Uke has light hair?

For example:

Brother
Yellow
Wild Rock
Empty Heart
Boy Princess

and I know theres a lot more, but I can't think of any of them right now....  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:30 pm
Not really, I mean look at Yuki and Shuichi from Gravitation both of them have light hair.  

colonelhavoc

Banned_189373

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:40 pm
Yeah I noticed that in some mangas I've been reading.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:18 pm
That does seem to prevail, but it's not always the case. OF course, there's also a problem with making the uke character act more like an idiot teenage girl than an actual guy, but of course this is mere fantasy, so the characters can behave any way the author wants them to.

I for one would like to see men act a little more like men. (Though I do like sensitive guys in my yaoi, but still, you can be sensitive and still be a man. This doesn't really apply in situations where the guy is kind of transgender, though, because that's a whole other issue.)

Anyways, it's a bit of a stereotype some stick to and other's don't. Either way, it doesn't really matter, so long as the characters and story are interesting. I like eye candy, but without substance I'll put the book down.  

Ace of Blue Spades

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100

Uchimaki Yuuzora

Cuddly Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:06 pm
shmexy-emo-guy
Did you ever notice that in most yaoi and shonen-ai(not all, but a very large amount) that the Seme usually has dark hair and the Uke has light hair?

For example:

Brother
Yellow
Wild Rock
Empty Heart
Boy Princess

and I know theres a lot more, but I can't think of any of them right now....

Ehh... most, maybe, not all though.

One exception that I know of is Only the Ring Finger Knows. Yuichi (blond) seemed more like he would have been more dominant while Wataru (black/brown) was the more submissive in my opinion... But then again, the story ended just after the two got together so... *grins* But Yuichi was always the one to initiate the action, while Wataru always seemed to walk right into it.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:16 pm
yeah i noticed that early on. xd but isnt it cool sometimes when its switched?  

angelBmine

GtHb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:53 pm
C. Brothers...

Really? I never noticed that! XD

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:58 pm
You just listed like, all my fav books.

Yeah. I thought it was a rule.  

JanetWeiss

psychotic LEE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:14 pm
Anyone watch Sukisho/Sukisyo??? Notice how's one has pink hair and the other is like. Blue? I keep seeing Uke's with PINK HAIR. And of course, GRAVITATION... STFU sakura.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:54 am
It's typical, yes. The dark hair normally means seme, the light hair normally means uke. With the exception of white/silver/platinum/gray hair, which also tends to be used for seme most of the time.  

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

Andromeda3173

Mystical Neko

10,800 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 pm
haha!! so u noticed too... haha... yeah... i think its the dark-tall-and-handsome look.... ninja or something like that .... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:16 pm
Hm, that's interesting, never really thought about it too much. Hmmm...pleased to see I don't fall too much into that trap with my own little yaoi boys though... ninja

SeNalove

marrrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:29 pm
Oh my God, you're right... I think. A little. ...Yeah, you are. (Whoa. eek )  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:59 pm
I have noticed that but, there are exceptions
Of course, hair color is used by authors to help identify the character's personality.
Through the years, we've come to associate different personality traits with certain hair colors.
Blonde hair suggests innocence and sometimes nievity which is good for an uke, Red hair suggests a temper, or a lot of energy, which works for either. Brown hair suggests a calmer personality, and/or intelligence, which also works for either. Black suggests strength and mystery which makes a good seme.....and you get the picture. I won't go the really weird hair colors.
There's also tha fact that when I'm writing a story, I like my two boys to contrast and an easy way is to give them drastically differant hair color.
Now, theese are just generalizations. It's just my theory for why it happens...  

Katastrophic_Kate

Pomba Gira

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:20 am
Now, i thinka about it, it does make sense. A lot of mangas i've read have had light coloured haired ukes with dark haired semes. Of course, theres the exceptions, but still, its an interesting observation!  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff