Reply Fantasy Books Guild
The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:57 pm
I just got this one from the library & read it. It's decent. The writing is somewhat uneven but the book overall is interesting & has some fun ideas running round in it. I'll be interested to see if Beddor can really sustain the idea through a trilogy.

I really hope he can--Beddor is uneven now but shows promise, and I'd like to see that developed.

What? Oh, you want to know what the book is about?

The basic premise is that Alice in Wonderland really happened, but not the way Lewis Carroll described it. He thought young Alyss was simply imagining things when she told him her life's story.

Alice is really Princess Alyss Heart of Wonderland, trapped in Victorian England after her evil Aunt Redd took over the kingdom and killed her parents. The Mad Hatter is really Hatter Madigan, bodyguard to the Heart queens, and he is hunting all over for Alyss in order to restore her to her throne and return Wonderland to its greatness.

There are some moderately gory scenes here & there in the book & I can't quite buy the fact that Young Alyss (age 7) and Dodge (10-ish?) have already fallen truly in love. I had rather they were simply very good friends at the beginning & that their love grew later as in, perhaps, the next book. It's a minor issue because the two really do act as friends, it was simply something of an irritant.

One area of unevenness comes in the handling of the Wonderland Cast. Most are brilliantly re-visioned: Hatter Madigan, the Cheshire Cat (AKA the Cat & chief assassin for Redd), and the caterpillars work perfectly in context and in relation to Carroll's "muddled retelling" Alice in Wonderland. The card soldiers don't make the transition as well, and General Doppelganger who can split to become Generals Dople and Ganger so far seem in the book simply to be a Neat Idea. That is, the book needs a general, but this general hasn't quite convinced me yet.

Still, the book is a fun way to while away an afternoon, and, as I said earlier, I'm looking forward to seeing how Beddor develops as a writer.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:23 pm
i loved it blaugh i agree that it was bumpy in some areas and needs some work but it was an exellent read. and a thoght alyss and the dude she loved was a good idea since they might have been destined for each other. but if it is like some people say it might come out why they loved each other at such a young age later on. biggrin  

ANARA Airlyn

ANARA Airlyn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:37 pm
ahhhhhh just found out it is a trilogy possibly quadret(four books) isn't that exciting  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:32 pm
I've seen this and have thought about reading it. I think maybe I will now. ^^  

Tarantellatears

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:31 am
ANARA Airlyn
ahhhhhh just found out it is a trilogy possibly quadret(four books) isn't that exciting

I'm equal parts excited and skeptical. A trilogy could work, and it's nice to see an author who has promise get the chance to keep writing and improve.

OTOH, the words "trilogy OR quartet" gives me the uneasy feeling that he may not have definite boundaries for his work--which, after Robert Jordan, is now classed as a Bad Thing in my view.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:48 pm
depends on how he writes the second one, i guess. con somebody please tell me hoe to do what bookwyme did, since i am feeling really dumb because i don't know how  

ANARA Airlyn

godhi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 am
For those interested in learning more about Frank Beddore and his fantasy novel, The Looking Glass Wars, check out the official web site:

The Looking Glass Wars home page  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:08 pm
ANARA Airlyn
depends on how he writes the second one, i guess. con somebody please tell me hoe to do what bookwyme did, since i am feeling really dumb because i don't know how

What is it you are wanting to known?  

Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:05 am
godhi
For those interested in learning more about Frank Beddore and his fantasy novel, The Looking Glass Wars, check out the official web site:

The Looking Glass Wars home page

Thanks!

A book with a soundtrack--interesting!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:06 pm
nothin anymore my friend told me... damn i forgot how to do it mad well how did u like his site, cause i know i liked it  

ANARA Airlyn

raining_lavender_knight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:10 pm
i read it and liked it but i didnt love it  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:22 pm
ANARA Airlyn
nothin anymore my friend told me... damn i forgot how to do it mad well how did u like his site, cause i know i liked it

Haven't had the chance to really explore it, but I liked what I saw. It fits the book very well.  

Bookwyrme

ANARA Airlyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:29 pm
i know. but it doesn't have info on the second bookkkkkkk crying crying well maybe later  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:53 am
I truely enjoyed the two books he has out and i was wondering how he is going to finish it  

murphyad

MyLadyMandy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:13 am
I hear what you're saying about the writing style, but I love those books. It's strange to me when the narration jumps from the thoughts of one character directly to another, but I found myself thinking about the characters so much throughout the course of my day that it barely seemed to matter.

I also like all of the artistic direction, as well. I'm envious of the paperback version of Looking-Glass Wars; I must thumb through the pictures in the middle almost every other time I see it in the store.

heart Hatter

EDIT: Oh, and I don't know how I forgot to mention this, but I also love Frank Beddor for getting me interested enough in Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) to read the original Alice in Wonderland books. They're an absolute joy. 3nodding  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff