The Labels Are Getting Out of Control (This Must End) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:18 pm
It has come to my attention that there are quite a few threads that have sprung up recently about labels, labeling, different labels, their definitions, etc. Now, as human beings we are constantly trying to define ourselves as well as one another, but the label thread fad is starting to get a bit out of control.

The “labels are for soup cans” argument does get a bit old and tiresome after a while. I’ve seen some very intelligent and insightful posts in these threads, but I’m afraid of lot of people are beginning to tire of repeating themselves in each individual thread, so ANY thread pertaining to labels created after today will be locked as there are already many different topics to post in.

This isn’t to be mean or tyrannical, it’s just a matter of the guild having a lot of threads already pertaining to the matter, and there not really being a need for any more threads of such a nature.

Also, just as a reminder whenever you are stating your opinions on something, keep it civil. I know sometimes it can be difficult and emotions can run high in certain topics, but please keep an open mind and your comment/criticisms constructive. Remember that everyone has a different perspective on a topic, and just because they don’t agree with you doesn’t mean they are automatically wrong.

I hope that this arrangement will be a temporary thing, but until the dusts settles a bit, I encourage all moderators to delete new labeling threads without the usual 24 hour waiting period.

~Lurichan~
.: Guild Owner:.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:36 pm
Yeah, I agree. Although I think it's a shame that the few people that wont accept other people's opinions ruin it for the majority of people that remain polite.  

Frankendoll.

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:40 pm
Electrash
Yeah, I agree. Although I think it's a shame that the few people that wont accept other people's opinions ruin it for the majority of people that remain polite.

It is a sadness that more arguments seem to be breaking out lately. Hopefully this will help diffuse some of the tension that has been building.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:53 pm
Hopefully.

Though it's pretty shameful that we have let it get to a point where we get warned for it, and over something like labels too.

Frankendoll.

Mage The Red

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:03 pm
True.

But, I'm barely a new guy. So, I really don't have much to say.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:08 pm
THANK YOU.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

.+Melanthios+.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:25 pm
Yay! I was really getting tired of it myself, so I'm glad you're putting an end to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:38 pm
Why don't you just create a black list of topics we are and aren't allowed to have an opinion on?

Perhaps a stronger tendency to punish people that get things out of hand would be better than just stopping people expressing their opinions.  

megalomaniac-freak

Mage The Red

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:16 pm
I like Maniac's idea, personally.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:08 pm
megalomaniac-freak
Why don't you just create a black list of topics we are and aren't allowed to have an opinion on?

Perhaps a stronger tendency to punish people that get things out of hand would be better than just stopping people expressing their opinions.

We are not saying you can not discuss the matter.
That's why we have left topics open.

We are saying that people have gotten out of hand with this.
It's more than a few people, unfortunately.
We are saying that we're getting rid of new topics faster than they would usaly be deleted. We have so many pre-existing topics any more would be repeat threads at this point.
We are saying that this is only temporary, if the current threads show civalty rather than pointless bickering.  

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

lysseee

6,100 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:20 pm
megalomaniac-freak

noone's telling you to not-have-an-opinion on labels. mod's might have power but they are not yet equipped with the means to get into your head and wipe out all the silly stuff.

there are lots of threads in which these subjects are already being discussed, and -interestingly enough- there are people who actually do have opinions and are perfectly able to state them without eating someone else's face.

you're just asked to not go around creating a thousandth version of an "i hate emos / die all you preppy losers / etc." thread, and hopefully not go around biting people's heads off just because they don't agree with your merriam-webster definition of goth.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:17 pm
PWN!!

Thank you, Luri! I completely agree.... The obsession with labels needs to go away.
I love you right now. heart  

EvFaerAshlynn

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:02 am
megalomaniac-freak

Ah, I see the mistake you're making there hun, you're assuming that you have freedom of speech here. Sorry, this place doesn't have to conform to anykind of human right, we just choose the people the whole human rights thing can be applied to. For instance, the person that is polite (but doesn't neciserily agree) get the freedom of speech, the person that flames, get that privilege revoked.

You have freedom of thought in the Got Goth? Guild, we just choose who has freedom of speech.

Have a nice day now 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:45 am
Isobel Bellamy
megalomaniac-freak

Ah, I see the mistake you're making there hun, you're assuming that you have freedom of speech here. Sorry, this place doesn't have to conform to anykind of human right, we just choose the people the whole human rights thing can be applied to. For instance, the person that is polite (but doesn't neciserily agree) get the freedom of speech, the person that flames, get that privilege revoked.

You have freedom of thought in the Got Goth? Guild, we just choose who has freedom of speech.

Have a nice day now 3nodding

I wouldn't quite put it that harshly really. Everyone has freedom of speech to a certain degree, but when they joined gaia they did promise to adhere to certain rules and guidelines to limit their freedoms in order to enjoy the site. The same is true of the guild, when you apply to join you agree to adhere to the rules that are in place so everyone can enjoy the guild. You also agree to the consquences of not following the rules in place by no longer having the privilages of being a part of the guild.

Overall it's more a measure to try to keep certain attacks on people down to a minimum, and to keep a flood of label threads under control. It's not saying people can't talk about them, just asking them to use the already designated areas instead of generating new ones and overrunning the entire front page with different variations of the exact same thing.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:54 pm
One question?

Isn't labelling the labels as labels stereotyping the labels in a bad light, who decides the labels of the labels anyway and how do you define the different sub-labels of label culture?

rofl

I apologise for that strange bout of satire.  
Elite Clubhouse, RP Threads, and Storage

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff