Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I want to learn more, regarding Apollo.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

With Motion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:38 am
I am a henotheist, but, I don't have a religion. So technically I suppose I'm not a henotheist, since the definition requires that I worship a god before I can be. :{

But I want to. I love religion, I research it as often as I possibly can, but I've never been able to attach to a particular religion; maybe a few of the concepts, but never the religion in its entirety. I keep on researching hoping that I find something I "like", for lack of a better word.

A few weeks ago, I decided to look up Apollo on wikipedia. I almost never research the Greek pantheon, but I had a predisposition to look up him specifically. I only recently realized how much I desperately love music after so many years of being indifferent towards it. I really liked how thorough the article was, so I kept on following all the links to different articles. I absolutely loved reading about the significance of the festival Hyacinthia, the story about Hyacinth and Apollo is so sad crying

So...I dunno where to go with this, or if I should go anywhere with this. I love music, but is that a good reason to be interested in Hellenistic (?) reconstructionism and worshipping apollo? This is kind of a shot in the dark, so I feel stupid sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:29 pm
Apollo was the first to come to me.

Some resources: Theoi's Apollon main page

Pythia's listing of various online links to the gods

A few yahoogroups I belong to from that site:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thiasos_Apollon/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KyklosApollon/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HellenicPagan/

They can help you find more sources to work from, no matter which way you want to go. Just because you are drawn to Apollon, doesn't mean you want to use reconstruction as a methodology. It is not for everyone.

There's a number of places online ask as well. Be careful with HP, they get a little pissy towards people. But, lots of humor and the occasional haiku-ban.  

maenad nuri
Captain

With Motion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:44 pm
Nuri
Apollo was the first to come to me.

Some resources: Theoi's Apollon main page

Pythia's listing of various online links to the gods

A few yahoogroups I belong to from that site:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thiasos_Apollon/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KyklosApollon/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HellenicPagan/

They can help you find more sources to work from, no matter which way you want to go. Just because you are drawn to Apollon, doesn't mean you want to use reconstruction as a methodology. It is not for everyone.

There's a number of places online ask as well. Be careful with HP, they get a little pissy towards people. But, lots of humor and the occasional haiku-ban.
Thank you very much ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:43 am
I'd also recommend, if you're interested in building a relationship to a god, start collecting things which are related to him. Start with strictly-lore things, check out some anthro books on him and see what they found on altars thought to be to Apollo. Once you're comfortable with that, add other things which you think are related to him. Expand outward from there.

This way you can bring something of him into your living space, bringing him to mind more often and perhaps shaking loose new thoughts and experiences.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:32 pm
Deoridhe
I'd also recommend, if you're interested in building a relationship to a god, start collecting things which are related to him. Start with strictly-lore things, check out some anthro books on him and see what they found on altars thought to be to Apollo. Once you're comfortable with that, add other things which you think are related to him. Expand outward from there.

This way you can bring something of him into your living space, bringing him to mind more often and perhaps shaking loose new thoughts and experiences.
I've heard he likes Horses, Music, Medicine and Sunflowers. Possibly because the Sunflower was once a nymph who had a crush on him. For Music, it's mostly strings. He likes lyres and harps. He's not so big on the flute; that was Minerva's instrument. In fact, I doubt he likes it very much at all because when a shepherd boy found the flute that Minerva had cast down he played so well he decided to challenge Apollo. And we all know how well that goes in Greek mythology... wink  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:43 pm
Pelta
I've heard he likes Horses, Music, Medicine and Sunflowers. Possibly because the Sunflower was once a nymph who had a crush on him. For Music, it's mostly strings. He likes lyres and harps.

In addition, plague. He harms and heals!
Quote:

He's not so big on the flute; that was Minerva's instrument.

I still like that she threw away the flute after the other gods made fun of her bulging cheeks.
Quote:

In fact, I doubt he likes it very much at all because when a shepherd boy found the flute that Minerva had cast down he played so well he decided to challenge Apollo. And we all know how well that goes in Greek mythology... wink

ahh Marsyas, flayed alive.

You made me remember why I really do love Ovid, despite the Roman-ness.  

maenad nuri
Captain

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:58 pm
I thought horses were Posiden's thing...sence he created them to impress....Athena I belive it was.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:03 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
I thought horses were Posiden's thing...sence he created them to impress....Athena I belive it was.

If I take a guess, its probably from the conflation of Apollo and Helios, since Helios drew a chariot to bring up the sun.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Skrae

Tipsy Prophet

7,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:46 pm
Im sure this is a bit off, but I had noticed that you mentioned your love of music. Maybe you could also look at the Muses?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:01 am
Skrae
Im sure this is a bit off, but I had noticed that you mentioned your love of music. Maybe you could also look at the Muses?
The muses were always associated with Apollo. I never quite figured out why, though I'm sure there's a myth I missed that explains it. I think the muses were origionally autonymous, then got bundled under Apollo's rule when they figured a god of music should have authority over the muses. Or something like that.

Nuri: You're right. I've always seen Apollo associated with horses because of the chariot thing. But it became quite a popular cult at one point. I believe there was an island in the mediterranean that used to sacrifice four white horses to him every year... Or perhaps I am thinking of Helios. What wonderful Roman syncretism. confused  

Pelta

With Motion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:27 am
I didn't expect to get so many replies surprised
Deoridhe

Interesting idea...I'll start researching whenever I can. I having to do homework and finish my songs and hang out with friends and do dance practice and blah, I'm so busy whee
Pelta
I've heard he likes Horses, Music, Medicine and Sunflowers. Possibly because the Sunflower was once a nymph who had a crush on him. For Music, it's mostly strings. He likes lyres and harps.
I read something along those lines, for music. I play the violin, but I'm way out of practice. I think I'll bring it to school one weekend.
Skrae
I don't know anything about the Muses sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:29 pm
Light[]Yagami
I'll start researching whenever I can. I having to do homework and finish my songs and hang out with friends and do dance practice and blah, I'm so busy whee
Dance and Song would be things quite well under his domain. Being musical with intent is another way of bringing a god into your life, or at least making contact.

Quote:
Skrae
I don't know anything about the Muses sweatdrop

Wiki's better than nothing...  

Pelta

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:43 pm

Anything Wiki can do, Theoi can do better!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games