Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Light headed

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Short_N_Evil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:22 pm
Often when I am finished working out, I feel lighted headed or extremely hungry even if I ate before the workout. If I try to eat afterwards, I never feel content. I still feel hungry. Its like my body doesn't realize that I have eaten. Does anyone have an explanation?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:47 pm
Sounds like you have a serious case of dehydration and/or blood sugar crash. Often when you're thirsty your body will also tell you you're hungry. Sugar crash would explain both hunger and light-headedness. You should talk to your doctor, maybe talk about getting fasting sugar levels (which she'll probably suggest if she thinks there's a problem), talk about any meds you're on that could interfere with moderately intense (if you're doing intense (for you) when you're not an experienced exerciser...) exercise, and generally just talk about these episodes and when they happen (be detailed about everything).

Weigh yourself before and after exercise, if you've lost weight after your workout you didn't keep hydrated during your workout.

Remember that your body doesn't figure out you've fed it for around 20 minutes so you may satisfy your hungry but not realize it for a while.

After you workout try and eat a protein or a protein and a carb (debates ahoy on which is better post-workout), even after you stop heart-elevating exercise your body is still burning calories so it's a good time to get some nutrition in anyway. Your body needs the protein to fix up the muscles you worked and the carb to replenish stored glucose, more over, your body really wants healthy proteins and carbs after you workout when it's really revved to absorb stuff. I eat more protein than carb but opinions vary about what you should eat.

My protein shake is 2 scoops of chocolate designer whey protein powder, one scoop unflavored genisoy protein powder, both added to a shaker crammed full of ice, water to mix (milk breaks me out and I'd rather use my calories else where since I'm not total squee over milk). The genisoy has 5 grams of fiber which keeps the protein from rushing out of my system, letting it absorb more and helping prevent a sugar drop.

For breakfast (or other meal) I often eat unflavored oatmeal with 1 scoop designer and some raisins added to the cooked oatmeal. A filling meal with complex carbs and protein. A meal like the above will delay stomach emptying, making you feel full longer, has many nutrients your body wants, and again with the lack of a sugar crash.

Making sure you've eaten a proper amount of calories before a workout is important. I know if I slack off on breakfast and other good things lightheaded and gross feelings are in my future during a workout. I don't like to eat before a workout, this includes the 30min before some people do but I do make sure I've had complex carbs, proteins, and a few good fats that day.

I really would talk to your doctor about it.  

dangerousfish

RoseAintMean

5,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:10 pm
Well, maybe you worked out too hard?

But when I ever feel dizzy, or have a headache I eat peanuts. Protein helps me.

I really don't no why your stomach thinks you didnt eat... you waited 20 minutes afterwards? it takes about that long for your body to realize you are still hungry, or partly full, or full.

Plus drink lots of water during exercising.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:51 pm
If it is happening more than once or twice, and if you feel you are eating pretty sensibly (and be sure you drink a lot while working out!) you might want to have your blood glucose level checked at your doctor, especially over a length of time, one called your A1C. It's just a finger poke, and may shed some light on things. Of course, I am Diabetic, so this is more of a thing to me, but this can mean other things, too. So it may be something to look into if you are really concerned.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

akironake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:04 pm
You should check your blood sugar levels.

When you have a low sugar, you will have a huge craving for food. Why? Because your body is trying to get the levels up. High or low blood sugars are both bad and can have lasting effects.

Low blood sugar can make you dizzy, lightheaded, hungry (EXTREME cravings), and weak.

It might be good to talk to your doctor, because if you do have a low blood sugar, it needs to be treated as to avoid long term effects.

(I'm kinda knowledgeble about low & high blood sugars 'cause my mom has type 1 diabeties and I took care of her alot. I know the symptoms very well, because I watched her. When she started being sluggish and acting strange, I grabbed her blood sugar meter and got a reading and got her what she needed [high-carb foods or her insulin, depending on if it was low or high])  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games