Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
..exercise machines..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HIM_fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:08 pm
Im getting ready to get a membership at our local YMCA..( me and my mom want to go lol)

they have all the baisc, to major machines..tredmills, bowflex looking things.. question and tons of others.. i want to start running more since ive been working out and then running in place in the middle of the night for atleast like 10 min..( im trying to tone up for prom)

but what is another machine i should try when i get my membership?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:33 am
Stair steppers = <3  

Moonecho

NinjaRapunzel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:12 am
If they have a track I'd say run on that. But as for the machines, tread mill is fine because you can also have it like you're running uphill. 3nodding

Stair master--that one makes my butt sore xd and my calves.

Use what ever machine you like, just don't over do it. You know if you've been running in place at home you shouldn't put in the highest setting.

Also the elliptical is a nice machine, it "replicates" running and it's easy on the knees. (Might suggest it to your mom?)  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:41 pm
I like circuit training, doing time on many machines makes me go longer and be less bored and work the muscles differently. If I had to pick I like the elliptical the best.

Don't forget the weights. Free weights are my favorite but machines are good, too - make sure you learn proper form. Exercise RX is a great site for information and exercises by muscle group. stumptuous is a great site aimed at women and weights but good for anyone wanting to learn.

Have fun!  

dangerousfish

Groovy Spleen
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:49 am
Frankly, not a big fan of eliptical trainers.
It's not really a natural movement, and you burn waaaaay less calories than you would on a normal treadmill.
It also doesn't condition your muscles the way a treadmill or a stepper would.. basically, it's like spastically flailing around to lose weight lol.

But it is easier on the joints than a treadmill would be, I assume.

Don't forget to do a little bit of weight training while you're there too!
Building muscle helps burn calories and fat, and of course tones you up.
Just dont go too much too soon. Lots of low weight, high rep exercises. If you ask at the gym there's usually someone who will help you set up your own little weightlifting program too.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:21 pm
NinjaRapunzel
If they have a track I'd say run on that. But as for the machines, tread mill is fine because you can also have it like you're running uphill. 3nodding

Stair master--that one makes my butt sore xd and my calves.

Use what ever machine you like, just don't over do it. You know if you've been running in place at home you shouldn't put in the highest setting.

Also the elliptical is a nice machine, it "replicates" running and it's easy on the knees. (Might suggest it to your mom?)

my moms only like 35..but i think she would try it if i eecommended it to her..she only want to tone up her legs anyway.. but shes a smoker and well lets just say shes not a runner..anyway she could tone up her legs without running?
( yeah i think the running would kill her..she jokes about that alot.. which really irritates me sumtime)

it s close to spring soon might pick up tennis again. i threw out my elbow playing softball when i was younger ( i was center [right out field is a player was out] outfield, i was one the the few who could throw pretty far) so i guess im gonna go buy an elbow brace thing..i tried tennis last year and i was playing for maybe an hour and the ball went over a fence and when i went to throw it back i felt my elbow kind of feel like it slid forwards and pain shot up my arm..so yeah ill get that brace..  

HIM_fan

Aeren
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:12 am
For your moms legs I would suggest bicycling (possibly recumbent), or elliptical.... bicycling is amazing for your legs, but you have to put in an effort. stair stepper is also great for legs, thighs and butt.

I *think* that the Y should set you up for free with an exercise program, I know the ones around this area do. As for as lifting weights that should be included in the program, and they can give you an orientation.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games