Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
My Classical Myth professor makes me chuckle

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miza_Radioaktiv

Questionable Prophet

6,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:34 am
She does, really...
She's rather lost with what she does and proclaims that the Greek religion doesn't exist, at all, anymore. Of course a group of my friends and I were like, "What?..."
I guess you'd really have to be in the class to understand what I mean, but I hope you understand with my sleepy explanation... So sleepy... -.-

We're thinking about staying after and telling her that she shouldn't make claims like that without really researching about it beforehand.
She's a really nice lady, but she needs to read a little more...

I'm in class now... ninja
But anyway, what do you guys think about this...?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:41 am
Many who are invested with a mandate to teach are ignorant of the subject they teach, or, worse yet, have decided to conciously teach only what they wish others to think, regardless of whether it is true or not...

But then again...
How close are most Recon religions really?
I do not doubt their sincerity, but without the massive festivals, state sanctioning, and recognition, how much of that heritage can be reclaimed?  

Fiddlers Green

Miza_Radioaktiv

Questionable Prophet

6,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:51 pm
Well, as I said, I was rather tired when I wrote it, and in class. The main thing that really ticks me off is that she's like, "Nobody believes in these gods anymore, and they are all fake because we know that none of them exist."
That's what got us a little angry.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:56 pm
Mizakichii
Well, as I said, I was rather tired when I wrote it, and in class. The main thing that really ticks me off is that she's like, "Nobody believes in these gods anymore, and they are all fake because we know that none of them exist."

That's a good bit different from "Greek Religion doesn't exist anymore." which really, ancient greek religion doesn't exist anymore! People have picked it up and are playing with what we know, but its a modern pagan thing.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Starlock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:29 am
It is always surprising how many professors and academics are ignorant of the modern Pagan movement and say things like "Nobody worships Zeus anymore." I wonder how that would change some of their conclusions if they were aware of the modern Pagan movement?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:24 pm
Starlock
It is always surprising how many professors and academics are ignorant of the modern Pagan movement and say things like "Nobody worships Zeus anymore." I wonder how that would change some of their conclusions if they were aware of the modern Pagan movement?

Fewer than you might think, I would guess. When one of my Classics professors made that claim, I talked to her about it a bit after class and sent her a few articles about the growing pagan movement. I didn't get a reply, but just a week ago I got an e-mail from her with a link to a piece of news about Hellenics trying to use an ancient temple for ritual purposes, with the comment "Wow, this cracked me up. If you ever go to Greece, watch out for these freaks." While I certainly don't mean to suggest that she is representative of all Classics professors, I still find it interesting to get a response like this from a member of the academic community.  

midara the happy banshee

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:37 am
Starlock

Well, we'll find out. IIRC, there is a woman whose acadamic plans are to study the modern Hellenic movement. She's pretty well respected. It will be interesting to see what people make of us from the outside.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:39 am
midara the happy banshee
Starlock

Fewer than you might think, I would guess. When one of my Classics professors made that claim, I talked to her about it a bit after class and sent her a few articles about the growing pagan movement. I didn't get a reply, but just a week ago I got an e-mail from her with a link to a piece of news about Hellenics trying to use an ancient temple for ritual purposes, with the comment "Wow, this cracked me up. If you ever go to Greece, watch out for these freaks." While I certainly don't mean to suggest that she is representative of all Classics professors, I still find it interesting to get a response like this from a member of the academic community.

That's exactly how my Mythology teacher reacted, however I guess I can't blame her. I live in a conservative area, there isn't much talk about any other religions around here.  

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:00 am
Mizakichii

rofl

We have mapped every Nano-metre of the cosmos and there is no sign of them!
Oh, wait, we haven't even mapped every Kilometer of our own world.

But then again, I guess that's why she's teaching something that she obviously doesn't regard as a science.
Slipshot work on her, 'twere it my instructor (unworthy of the title Teacher) I would be filing some heavey complaints.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:09 am
-shrug-
That seems to be a common theme with Classics professors. I like my professor, but it drives me nuts when he says that the Greek panthoen was just the embodiment of ideals. That they never existed. But I don't want to complain about him, as he is a really good teacher. And I really enjoyed what he had to teach. You can learn from eveyone, and even when they have an opposing belief, you can still learn from them.  

Skrae

Tipsy Prophet

7,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Reijin-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:49 pm
My Classical myth professor defines myth as "what the other guy believes." He basically says that while it sounds stupid to think people saw visions of the gods, to them, it's their truth. Of course, later in the semester we're going to talk about the neopagan movement, but he can't mention modern-day people worshipping Zeus without rolling his eyes, which makes me want to kick his shin (I sit in the front row).  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:11 pm
Reijin-chan
My Classical myth professor defines myth as "what the other guy believes." He basically says that while it sounds stupid to think people saw visions of the gods, to them, it's their truth. Of course, later in the semester we're going to talk about the neopagan movement, but he can't mention modern-day people worshipping Zeus without rolling his eyes, which makes me want to kick his shin (I sit in the front row).

Oiy. Well, some profs are better at projecting a shield of neutrality than others. I guess I got a great religion prof; he was able to discuss a wide range of topics without giving a hint of his own beliefs. whee  

Starlock

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:57 pm
I might have mentioned this here, but my old University honestly had the "ebul atheist professor" from all those Jack Chick tracts. And she taught religion. If her worldview clashed with known religious history, then the religious history was wrong. Every time.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:10 pm
Fiddlers Green
Mizakichii

rofl

We have mapped every Nano-metre of the cosmos and there is no sign of them!
Oh, wait, we haven't even mapped every Kilometer of our own world.

But then again, I guess that's why she's teaching something that she obviously doesn't regard as a science.
Slipshot work on her, 'twere it my instructor (unworthy of the title Teacher) I would be filing some heavey complaints.

It's sad when a College Prof doesn't understand Argument from Ignorance.

I'd be with you. But I'd be a little more snarky about it. Something akin to a long paper as to why she is wrong.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff