Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Effective British people of the past and present

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Broken Keys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:54 am
I have no idea if you'll all give me a chance but,

Here, you could always talk about British people who changed situations in the past or who are making a difference to the way the world is run at the present day.

I'll start off

Neville Chamberlain:

Visited Hitler 3 times in order to avoid war. It didn't completely work but he stopped a war happening between Germany and Austria. I think...

Kitchener:

His face encouraged men to join the army so that there would be enough to fight to the bitter end. Result, WW1 ended slightly better than people expected with the Germans surrendering because otherwise they would starve.

So, hopefully, you can come here and dicuss people like them. It doesn't necessarily have to be men or people who had something to do with wars... Enjoy!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:53 pm
I'm not really sure if this is a repeat thread or not. In Extended Discussion I don't believe it would be considered a repeat thread as the other thread is a thread for Great Britons in general, but this is a thread for Britons who have specifically effected a change, which is taking a pre-existing topic and putting a slightly different spin on it.

I'll leave it up to Francis and Simon to decide whether the thread should be allowed or not, and for now I'll make my modly debut (woo!) by deleting the argument about whether it should be here or not.

Pure Revenge: please don't get upset if you make a thread and it happens to be a repeat. In future, try checking back a few pages on the guild forum to see if there's a similar thread already and if there is ask someone for clarification on whether or not you should make your thread. If you make a repeat thread genuinely by accident then it really is no big deal.

Feel free to delete this portion of my post later at a later date.

---

I suppose someone will have to suggest Winston Churchill. He was the only politician to speak out publicly against the policy of appeasement that the government was taking with Hitler before the Second World War and was so unpopular for this that he'd have to leave Parliament by the back door/in disguise (it's been about a year since I covered this). Even after his role as Prime Minister during the Second World War he continued to work towards change, being again the first politician to highlight publicly the spread of Communism in Europe and the problems it might pose in his "Iron Curtain" speech.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:54 pm
Pure Revenge
I have no idea if you'll all give me a chance but,

Here, you could always talk about British people who changed situations in the past or who are making a difference to the way the world is run at the present day.

I'll start off

Neville Chamberlain:

Visited Hitler 3 times in order to avoid war. It didn't completely work but he stopped a war happening between Germany and Austria. I think...

Kitchener:

His face encouraged men to join the army so that there would be enough to fight to the bitter end. Result, WW1 ended slightly better than people expected with the Germans surrendering because otherwise they would starve.

So, hopefully, you can come here and dicuss people like them. It doesn't necessarily have to be men or people who had something to do with wars... Enjoy!

I'd disagree with both of those. Chamberlain gave Hitler time to sieze much of Europe. Appeasement of land-grabbing fascists is never good.

Kitchener encouraged young men to go off and die in a war fought for no good reason. In WWII we foughtr fascism, but what did we fight in WWI? Other nations dragged into a huge muddy mess because of a few pricks in the Baltic states.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:09 pm
Have to say, I can't agree about Kitchener either.
*Scutttles off to do GCSE modular science revision*  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Zoutout

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:35 am
Admiral Nelson:
When most people treated their sailors like slaves, he made sure that they always had decent living conditions.
He was a tactical genious.
In ome situations we were outgunned, in others we were outnumbered, and he managed to bring us to victory.

For the Battle of Trafalgar(sp) he had one arm, one leg, one eye, and died near the starrt of the battle, yet we still won despite being heavily out-gunned!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:33 am
There's now an edit crediting you (Pure Revenge) in my first post on the Great Britons page.

..and Zoutout, surely the latter is just as much a credit to the ability of the British fighting man?

Invictus_88
Captain

Broken Keys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:41 am
Invictus_88
There's now an edit crediting you (Pure Revenge) in my first post on the Great Britons page.

..and Zoutout, surely the latter is just as much a credit to the ability of the British fighting man?

Is that supposed to be bad?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:50 am
Pure Revenge
Invictus_88

Is that supposed to be bad?

Both parts are good. The first part mean your name will live forever in the Great Britons thread. The second that we had superb sailors.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Gaian British Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces