Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Now is this paganism or something else?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:29 am
Well in class yesterday we were idly chatting about how you can get decapitated when hung. After that someone asked where the idea to execute by hanging came from. Now this guy said it was done by the pagans in some kind of death ritual, to which my response was "Since when did pagans have rituals like that?"

I kind of got shouted down by this ignorant little dude and decided not to argue further.

Now Wikipedia tells me hanging was used 2500 years ago by the Persian empire, but do pagans in any form do something like that? If not what was that guy thinking of?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:38 am
Deo_Machina
Well in class yesterday we were idly chatting about how you can get decapitated when hung. After that someone asked where the idea to execute by hanging came from. Now this guy said it was done by the pagans in some kind of death ritual, to which my response was "Since when did pagans have rituals like that?"

I kind of got shouted down by this ignorant little tard and decided not to argue further.

Now Wikipedia tells me hanging was used 2500 years ago by the Persian empire, but do pagans in any form do something like that? If not what was that guy thinking of?

Not that I am aware of, but could you please edit that insult out? That's not a happy word around here.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:44 am
Nuri
Deo_Machina

I kind of got shouted down by this ignorant little bleep and decided not to argue further.

Not that I am aware of, but could you please edit that insult out? That's not a happy word around here.

Oops. sorry about that. It's gone.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:08 am
I've never heard of such an odd thing....
Not that I know everything, but I honestly know of no ritual like that at all....
Human sacrifice by multiple religions and races, yes.
Sacrifice by hanging? Never...  

Skrae

Tipsy Prophet

7,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:07 am
Maybe you should ask him which pagans did that, and see if his brain can come up with an actual name of a religion instead of bullshit. I have never heard of it, but that is to not say that it has been done.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:26 am
As to the question- "Since when did pagans have rituals like that?", the answer would be since Odin hung himself on the World Tree.

It is my understanding that prisoners were hung for the Alfather- usually at crossroads. Likely both an offering and a warning.

Then there were the Thuggee- and one could argue that their form of exicution was a style of devotion.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:56 am
Deo_Machina
Meh. Well technically Persians 2500 years ago were pagan...

Sacrifice and death are integral parts of many pagan paths. The idea of hanging for a prolonged period of time isn't that uncommon.

I mean, there's even "The Hanged Man" in the tarot.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:35 pm
missmagpie

I mean, there's even "The Hanged Man" in the tarot.
Does not follow.

For this to have any meaning, it would imply that Tarot is a pagan invention.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:44 pm
TeaDidikai
For this to have any meaning, it would imply that Tarot is a pagan invention.
I have yet to see any solid evidence for whether it is or it isn't.

I was merely implying that it isn't an uncommon concept.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:16 pm
TeaDidikai
As to the question- "Since when did pagans have rituals like that?", the answer would be since Odin hung himself on the World Tree.

It is my understanding that prisoners were hung for the Alfather- usually at crossroads. Likely both an offering and a warning.

Then there were the Thuggee- and one could argue that their form of exicution was a style of devotion.

I'm so glad you wrote this...I had completely forgotten about these things! And I'm usually really good about remembering mythology...  

Skrae

Tipsy Prophet

7,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:11 am
The word "hung" is tricky when applied to Odin, though. He was hung off Yggdrasil by a spear through the chest, not via rope on any part of his body. This actually places his hanging closer to a crusifixion than what we think of as hanging (i.e. rope around neck).  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:52 pm
Deoridhe
The word "hung" is tricky when applied to Odin, though. He was hung off Yggdrasil by a spear through the chest, not via rope on any part of his body. This actually places his hanging closer to a crusifixion than what we think of as hanging (i.e. rope around neck).
I follow that. But that doesn't change the documentation that suggest being hung by a rope was not a form of offering to Odin.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff