Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Art that stopped you from reading manga Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Delcie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:13 pm
Any yaoi you stopped reading because you just couldn't take the art? Any that you can't try, even if other people tell you it's great, because the art is so off-putting? Story is so important, but there are some series I just can't bear to look at even when the story is great!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:29 pm
It's not yaoi, but I could not for the life of me learn to like Yu Gi Oh, simply because of the awful art style. Even the anime -- I would sit there as my friend watched it, and I would point out all the awful inflections in everybody's voice and how completely corny some characters were and "how, for the love of all that is good, can a person have eyes of that size and pointyness?"
Don't even get me started on the Yugi kid. His hair defies all logic.  

retice

Duckysushi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:00 pm
I've yet to have art chase me away from a series. :/ What the hell, am I the only one who doesn't judge based on looks? Looking nice is only a bonus.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:12 pm
Alot of manga have yet to be read by me because of the art style. And I can not, no matter how many times I pick it up, read Fake. I know the story plot must be good but I just can't do it. I prefer pretty bishies in yaoi not strong chinned muscle peoples. I just can't read it. Gomen Nasai to Fake fans.  

Chibi_Oni_chan

This is Major Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:44 pm
Chibi_Oni_chan
I prefer pretty bishies in yaoi not strong chinned muscle peoples.

I find it kind of shallow and pointless to read yaoi if you can't appreciate men who LOOK LIKE MEN! Hello! That's what we're reading yaoi for. If they're all willowy bishounen who look like GIRLS that would break in a stiff wind, where's the fun in that?

That said, I'm pretty open to art. I love the styles where men look like men. I'm not too fond of the whole pointy chin phenomenon like in Love Mode, but I still enjoy its stories. Also, some yaoi artists go crazy with size proportions. Sex Pistols is a great story, but you have to get around the artist's issues with making hulking semes.

It's hard to turn me away from a good story, but bad art coupled with a boring story can do it. Level C was a total turn off. Ugly art with a weepy insipid little uke that made me want to kick him in his non-existant genitals assured that I would never purchase anything past book one. In fact, I sold off book one because it was so awful! I feel sorry for the sucker who bought it.

Bottom line, if the story is strong enough, it can get me through something with questionable art. If the story fails, the rest falls through for me. Life is not all about visuals. Pretty does not equal substance. Give me something to hold onto please.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:58 pm
Hmmmmm. There is one I have not read because the art really scares me. I can't remember the name though. ^^' There are a few non Yaoi manga that just scare me because of the art though, like as one person has mentioned, Yugioh. *nod nod*

-玄武の巫女

Bottled Bone Hunter

Witty Shapeshifter

RionaDaidouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:08 pm
I have trouble getting into FAKE as well. It's not the manly men part that put me off, it's just the general drawing style that I'm just not a fan of. Don't get me wrong, I have the first 2 books (as well as Until the Full Moon, by the same artist), but I've been putting off ordering the rest of the series because there's just better stuff out there. And, being in college and thus short on money, I can't justify buying something for JUST the story. I need both story AND art.

...... Makes one wonder why I'm still getting Fruits Basket..... o_O Which is something I ALMOST didn't get, at first, because I didn't like the art style, but man Momiji was just too cute. XD

I may be slightly spoiled, though, what with reading things like Death Note, and things by Kaori Yuki...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:39 pm
yesh-ish
I've read this yaoi
the story was good
and so was the concept
Dx but the guys were so freakin
muscular
I almost ended up putting
the douj. down
but I got over it

tenshi_darien

MooMooJuice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:25 am
Um. I can think of two series that I couldn't read/watch because of the art. Although I don't actually know what they're called...

But one was a BL game, and the art was just so stiff and out of proportion that it was disgusting. D:
Then some other artist. ( Uh, s/he did the art that is currently on the front page of the guild. )
I donno, I just don't like the art style.

Bugs me. ><  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:13 pm
Chibi_Oni_chan
Alot of manga have yet to be read by me because of the art style. And I can not, no matter how many times I pick it up, read Fake. I know the story plot must be good but I just can't do it. I prefer pretty bishies in yaoi not strong chinned muscle peoples. I just can't read it. Gomen Nasai to Fake fans.

It's like you read my mind.

Admittedly, my boys don't have to be totally dolled up, but I just can't take them as big, icky and muscle-y blaugh

SeNalove

blackwhiteandsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:39 pm
This is Major Tom
Chibi_Oni_chan

I find it kind of shallow and pointless to read yaoi if you can't appreciate men who LOOK LIKE MEN! Hello! That's what we're reading yaoi for. If they're all willowy bishounen who look like GIRLS that would break in a stiff wind, where's the fun in that?

That said, I'm pretty open to art. I love the styles where men look like men. I'm not too fond of the whole pointy chin phenomenon like in Love Mode, but I still enjoy its stories. Also, some yaoi artists go crazy with size proportions. Sex Pistols is a great story, but you have to get around the artist's issues with making hulking semes.

It's hard to turn me away from a good story, but bad art coupled with a boring story can do it. Level C was a total turn off. Ugly art with a weepy insipid little uke that made me want to kick him in his non-existant genitals assured that I would never purchase anything past book one. In fact, I sold off book one because it was so awful! I feel sorry for the sucker who bought it.

Bottom line, if the story is strong enough, it can get me through something with questionable art. If the story fails, the rest falls through for me. Life is not all about visuals. Pretty does not equal substance. Give me something to hold onto please.

Why not willowy men? YOU may not like them, but some of us really appreciate the cute, femmy guy. Gravitation and non-BL slashy properties such as X, Yami No Matusie and Tokyo Babylon star willowy, feminine male leads and they're great. It's a difference in taste.

I'm not into ukes brimming with muscles, or beefy chins, or noses that look like they can slice off a kitten's head, kthx.

However, FAKE would stink even if they were allthe size of 8 year old girls. The story idea is a Japanese person's idea of what New York is like, and believe me, that's enough.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:59 pm
I love the plot of Loveless, but the art isn't the best. The artist needs to work on her hands, mostly. I still read it, though, and then watch the anime to make me feel better (it has better art).

I also dislike the Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho manga (but I stopped reading IY a few years back...)

Harlequin Hisakata

Katastrophic_Kate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:36 pm
I actually put off reading Fake because the art was odd. It wasn't that I didn't like it, it just wasn't what I was used to. I also think it took a while for Matoh to get used to drawing the characters. Dee looks completely differant in the first volume than in the last. I can see why the art would bother some people. I'm pretty judgemental of art as well. I was dissapointed in Level C. There are very few stories that are good enough to make up for bad art but Fake is so good I couldn't put it down. The art has grown on me too and now I can honestly say that I love it!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:48 pm
This is Major Tom
Chibi_Oni_chan

They don't have to be willowy either, I mean I absolutely love New York New York and they sure aren't willowly but there just is something in the sharp edges and pointyness in FAKE that bugs me. I didn't mean to come off shallow or anything like that. I was just expressing my oppinion. Plus I have seen pretty art with bad story line and I couldn't get into it either. I need both to read a manga. BL or not.  

Chibi_Oni_chan

Katastrophic_Kate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:58 pm
Chibi_Oni_chan
This is Major Tom
Chibi_Oni_chan

They don't have to be willowy either, I mean I absolutely love New York New York and they sure aren't willowly but there just is something in the sharp edges and pointyness in FAKE that bugs me. I didn't mean to come off shallow or anything like that. I was just expressing my oppinion. Plus I have seen pretty art with bad story line and I couldn't get into it either. I need both to read a manga. BL or not.

I don't think you're shallow! You just know what you do and don't like^^ (says the real shallow girl)  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff