Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
How about some vegetarian jerky?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Retalis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:41 pm
Does anyone have recipies for some form of vegetarian jerky?
I always thought it'd be interesting to eat something like that.

I found one recipe, it asks for something called "liquid smoke" though, and I have no idea what that is or where to get it.
So I wanted other suggestions (although telling me about this liquid smoke stuff would be helpful too.)

When I happily mentioned the idea of tofu jerky to my family last time I got a lot of sarcastic comments... Oh the joys of living with meat eaters. lol.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:35 pm
"Liquid smoke" is made when you cook a pot of water on an open flame, and catch the smokey air mixed with the water vapor in a sort of vessal. Alton Brown demonstrated it on his show once.

Tofu jerkey would only be tricky because of the HUGE amount of water in it. You'd have to slow-cook ALL of it out, and you'd probably be left with a very tough soy-rubber xp

Tofurkey brand makes a "Tofurkey-Jerkee" that's supposed to be kinda tasty (if you like tofurkey, which I do), so it IS possible...  

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

Catherine teh Vegan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:53 am
Hawaiin jerky

1 lb extra-firm tofu
1/8 cup braggs or soy sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp powered ginger
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 cayenne
1 tsp garlic power
1 tbsp sweetener

Cut the drained tofu into long narrow strips (about 1/4 inch thickness). They may look big but they will shrink during baking. In a small bowl , whisk together the braggs, pineapple juice, ginger, pepper, cayenne, garlic power and sweetener. Place the tofu strips in a shallow baking pan or on a cookie sheet and pour the marinade over them. Let them marinate for several hours or overnight for best results.

Cook the tofu in a food dehydrator (follow directions) or bake in the oven for about 4-6 hours at 200 oF. Turn the tofu over once every hour so it bakes evenly . Continue until the texture is very chewy, but not crispy. Tofu jerky will keep indefinitly. Store in a container with a tight-fitting lid.

Taken from the cookbook How It All Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer.

=]  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:21 am
Zukes make a great vegan jerky. Just soak them in a marinade, then put them in a dehydrator....  

OregonLoveShaman

English is illegal on her

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:24 pm
I've never made it at home, but I love "Stonewall's Jerquee." You can buy it at any health food store, if that fails then they sell it in the Peta online store.  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:30 am
I haven't made any at home, but these are pretty good
http://www.primalspiritfoods.com/Products.html  

Lucifer Over London

nautilus96

2,100 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:37 pm
ever had mushroom jerky? it's really kind of weird, but it's yummy and addicting in a way. I forget the brand name I had though... my dad bought it  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Omg Primal strips primal strips primal strips! *dies inside of happiness*  

Tandahda

RabidSquirel

Dangerous Lover

12,400 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:21 am
Lee Retalis

I haven't tried it yet, but I found a recipe on pinterest for eggplant jerky! Here's the link. If you try it, tell me if it's any good!
http://www.thankyourbody.com/recipe-savory-eggplant-jerky/

It looks extremely delicious and I hope to try it soon!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:22 pm
Oh my gosh I am so glad that this thread exists, I am going to totally try to make these all. >=D  

impish whimsy

Voter

Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces