Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)
[Manga] [Off*Beat] -- Now with kink meme. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The obligatory "Who Is Your Favorite Character?"
Tory!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Colin!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Mandy!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Paul!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mary Blake!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dr. Garrets!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Colin's cats!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The carrot cake!
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Tomqueen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:35 pm
Now, I just looked through this subforum for any threads on Off*Beat. Finding none, I was not surprised because it's only up to volume 2 and not very well known. But nonetheless!

For those of you who like lots of action in your shounen-ai and not so much of a plot, stay away from Off*Beat, OK. But I looove lots of plot and plenty of fluff so I adore this series, naturally 83

Off*Beat's main character is named Tory, a 15-year-old who's very intelligent and curious. An odd but attractive boy Tory's age moves in across the street and Tory wants to know what he's up to, so he keeps a series of journals and practically stalks Colin (the other boy) to learn more. :]

And yeah Colin's up to something but I won't say anything about that~

So far in both of the two volumes there hasn't even been a kiss or anything; it's focusing mainly on their relationship as friends and almost, maybe something more and ... stuff like that. But there have been some cute scenes, 'specially in the second volume :]

Is there anyone else into this series? <3 It's by Jen Lee Quick, and yeah it's American and the art style is pretty different, but it's not bad. ^^ At least to me. It may appeal to some, and not to others.

Aaaaand yeah. I reccommend it for those of you who haven't heard of/read it~

OFF-SITE LINKS

Jen Lee Quick's deviantArt: http://wolfmune.deviantart.com (I hope she doesn't mind anyone redistributing the link?)
LJ Community: http://community.livejournal.com/gaiaproject/
^ also contains links to many fanfictions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:31 am
Never heard of it, but it sounds good. mrgreen  

palindrome88

Skizzors
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:51 pm
I LOVE OFF*BEAT IT WINS. heart

Dunno if you know, but by your "only up to volume 2" comment.. there are only 3 volumes. And there was a year gap between 1 and 2 being released. T____T (And currently no release date for 3..)

I loved all the cute BL-hinty scenes in volume 2. <3 They might not know why they feel like they do, but weeeee do, mm?

They're so cute~ D:  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:03 pm
It is! :] It's got my reccomendations~

Right, there'll only be 3 volumes. I think I saw that on the Tokyopop webbie? But the story is moving along at a very nice pace. : D And as long as volume 3 is definitely coming out I'll wait as long as I need to. XD;;

I love them too! :] They make me so happy. x] Yes ninja

Wow I knooow. whee

Tomqueen

Black_the(last)dogstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:58 pm
Off Beat is amazing. It's one of my favorites. I'm not agaisnt manga that isn't Japanese. I'm actually quite a big fan of the new marvel style as well such as Runaways, so it wasn't that hard for me to pick up Off Beat and become completely obessed with it. Tory is the sort of boy I would love to annoy until he let me be friends with him. Especially his little Scifi/Fantasy-esque day dreams. I can't hate Mandy because I would be her in the same situation. I love the scene in the park in the second volume. Mandy reminds me of a certain someone from loveless actually...

I think the thing that gets to me the best about Off Beat is that it's a really actuarate portrayal of American type life in the form of a Manga with Mangaish twists. I mean all the Manga I've been reading has always been so Japanese that it's hard to really connect with the characters because don't share their day to day lifestyles. But the characters of Off Beat could have been anybody from my life, which was a really cool twist of being plunged into my own culture after being so emersed in Japanese culture for so long.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:17 pm
God, I can't believe it's going to end after book three.
That pisses me off.
So here's some random boy-love.
User Image

Homestar M Runner

Tomqueen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:59 pm
@Black:
I'd probably be a lot like Mandy too xp Just as blonde, if not moreso.

Oh gosh the scene in the park. So sweet. :]

Now that I consider it, I feel the same way. And I don't live in such a bustling city as Queens, so I think that's pretty cool too. O: Just seeing the environments drawn in the manga feels nice, because I absolutely adore the big city scene.

@The Moot:
Well, on a positive note, there's not as long to wait for the ending of the series ... ? xD;

Yay~!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:06 pm
Off*Beat wins the internet. COMPLETELY. Best american manga by far, and one of the best manga evah.  

Kitsune-chi

Tomqueen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:12 pm
x'D Yes. One of my favorite series, definitely~

I can't find any info on Volume 3. :[

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:15 pm
I totally love Off*Beat! I so think Tory has easting disorders later, and ends up in big trouble. I would just adore seeing Colin babying Tory and feeding him! heart heart heart heart heart That'd be fluffness to the extreme!!!!

I'm dieing for volume three! I was mad, cause I was at Borders, the day 2 was supposed to be released and they didn't have it yet!

I'd totally be a Mandy. Actually, I'd be more of a Paul. A lazy mooch that knows to much for his own good. Or in my case, her own good! wink  

LyricalLemon

Tomqueen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:21 pm
*year-old thread revival* XD;;
I'm just spreading the word more, OK?

Tory with an eating disorder? sad I hope he'll be OK.
I never heard anything about that. I might have to go on Rumor Patrol for the plot of the next volume.

Also, good news: the final volume is scheduled to definitely release this August!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:19 pm
Tomqueen
Also, good news: the final volume is scheduled to definitely release this August!!
I KNOW OMG OMG. :DDDD  

Skizzors
Crew

Alli Bialystock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:31 pm
cry It... Only goes to volume three? crying
I LOVE it. I can't believe there's only going to be three! That's so unfair. But hey, at least it's coming soon!!! I can't wait to read it...
As for who I'd be... Probably Tory, actually. Kinda tightly-wound and overly-curious. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:03 pm
Jen Lee Quick has a unique artistic style, and that's one of the things that first attracted to me to Off*Beat. Vol. 2 was released back in November of 2006 so I'm really pissed off that vol. is taking so long! stressed

EDIT: Amazon.com says it will be released in December of this year.  

Kuo51

Tomqueen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:35 pm
On Ms Quick's devArt, she posted a journal several months ago saying that it was "locked in" to an August '08 release date.
But there have been terribly frightening ;__; rumors that Tokyopop was dropping a lot of its American manga series due to poor sales. And Ms Quick said on dA she had "awful news" but we don't know what is yet ...
Hopefully this won't be the case with O*B ... but maybe it is possible that it was bumped back to December through these circumstances.

Only 3 volumes. sad, I know x) But hey, it'll leave more to the imagination I guess, to picture what might come after the series ends.

I think I should put some fansite links in the first post~

[The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games