I'm neutral
  I dislike him
  I loathe him
View Results

Princess Dustbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:14 am
Just curious. And looking to settle a friendly bet domokun  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:11 pm
In his earlier episodes he's kind of annoying.
His character is forced into it for some reason, or something. Just doesn't fit well with me.

Later on though, I like him. He's not exactly my favourite, but he's a worthy addition.  

Gharbad

Se Ga Takai
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:05 pm
didn't like him, the acting was almost as woooden as Hayden Christensen in Revenge of the Sith.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:19 pm
I didn't like how the whole "Traveller" thing seems to have been completely
discarded.

I also thought whoever came up with his outfits should be charged with
a crime. His earlier non-uniform appearances included some horrid ones.  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Se Ga Takai
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:33 am
Steel Sterling
I didn't like how the whole "Traveller" thing seems to have been completely
discarded.

I also thought whoever came up with his outfits should be charged with
a crime. His earlier non-uniform appearances included some horrid ones.
My Girlfriend explains it away fairly easily; fashion is a crime. Seriously, is there a Character seen, ever, that has good looking clothing?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:00 pm
I can't say I dislike Wil Wheaton, he's a pretty decent actor and from everything I have read about he's cool as far as real life and trek are concerned.

But the role? Yeeowch. Wesley must have been hard to play.

If you look at the character, he was most likely added to TNG as Gene Roddenberry's expression of his childhood fantasies: the boy who gets to be bright enough to fly a great ship like the Enterprise. In fact, Wesley is Gene Roddenberry's middle name, and Rodenberry used to be a pilot. Wesley Crusher is the helsman on the Enterprise after he proves himself to Picard.

Now, I'm not saying it's bad for the character to be in the series, but it ends up being hard to mesh the boy wonder with a crew that, while remarkable in thier own rights, have gained thier positions through study and training and experience.

I don't think Wesley is a bad character but he doesn't necesarily fit with the rest of the crew in the first few seasons. I find it incongruent that with his experience aboard the Enterprise that he can't make it through Starfleet Academy - which comes off as more of a disagreement between the writers with how the character should develop rather than actual character development (in other words, the more realistically teenage he becomes in the later episodes, the more he strays from Roddenbryy's original concept.)

yikes, that got more wordy than I expected >.<  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Gharbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:30 pm
YourAzureGoddess
I can't say I dislike Wil Wheaton, he's a pretty decent actor and from everything I have read about he's cool as far as real life and trek are concerned.

But the role? Yeeowch. Wesley must have been hard to play.

If you look at the character, he was most likely added to TNG as Gene Roddenberry's expression of his childhood fantasies: the boy who gets to be bright enough to fly a great ship like the Enterprise. In fact, Wesley is Gene Roddenberry's middle name, and Rodenberry used to be a pilot. Wesley Crusher is the helsman on the Enterprise after he proves himself to Picard.

Now, I'm not saying it's bad for the character to be in the series, but it ends up being hard to mesh the boy wonder with a crew that, while remarkable in thier own rights, have gained thier positions through study and training and experience.

I don't think Wesley is a bad character but he doesn't necesarily fit with the rest of the crew in the first few seasons. I find it incongruent that with his experience aboard the Enterprise that he can't make it through Starfleet Academy - which comes off as more of a disagreement between the writers with how the character should develop rather than actual character development (in other words, the more realistically teenage he becomes in the later episodes, the more he strays from Roddenbryy's original concept.)

yikes, that got more wordy than I expected >.<

Hahaha nice license plate.
Here in Ontario, the government lets you pick from a set of license plate icons, and one is the Enterprise D

Actually, I just checked... they don't offer it anymore!
I think it also might've been a Star Fleet badge.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:13 pm
Thanks.

A license plate with the Enterprise D on it would be extremely cool!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Necalla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:25 pm
he is the only person i could not stand on TNG. ug dont know why just couldnt stand him.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:29 pm
I didn't mind him when I first saw the series. I think he was my favorite character for a while. Granted, I was an eleven year old girl, so I'm not quite sure if I count. xd I think I just liked the idea of being able to save the Enterprise as a kid.

Anyways, I re-watched the entire series again last year and I still didn't hate Wes as much as a lot of other people seem too. I really didn't like the Starfleet episode at all, but other than that I thought he was okay. It must have been hard to act him out though.

Nesting Comments

8,600 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200

Naphatarie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:04 pm
I like him. He's cool.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:46 pm
Wes was a much needed character. Maybe not has he was, but as a symbol. The Enterprise D was a vessel where people could have their family onboard. And what better way than have one of the main characters have a child and then have that child be a semi-main character. It is like Alexander was later on and how Jake was on DS9.  

TiagoBrazil

narabinai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:39 pm
He's.....interesting....I can't say I like him but I certainly don't hate the poor child....XD  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Yay! As a kid, Wes was my crush, because he had everything for the most part, have. Awesome mom? Check. Strong Father Figure (wasn't really his dad, but I wasn't picky)? Check. Smart, but still still kid-like? Yeah, you get the point.
Then there was my giddiness over his situation. Come on, living on a space ship where eveyone likes you? I would have given my right ovary for that. The adventures... the science...

But now I see he was a very much idealized character, a golden boy Gary-Stu. Doesn't change the fact I still like him, but I see it now.  

Mitra

Recca

O.G. Noob

5,700 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:26 pm
Commenting strictly because it is relevant to my signature. Yes.

COUGHCOUGH  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces