Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
What's more important? Art or story Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Art or Story?
Art
12%
 12%  [ 31 ]
Story
23%
 23%  [ 59 ]
Can't have one without the other
57%
 57%  [ 148 ]
Neither, I don't care as long as its yaoi
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
poll whore option
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 256

Dragon Queen Kimiko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:56 am
The ULTIMATE question!!! What is more important in any yaoi? The oh so delicious art work or the delightful little stories? I personally love a good story with my lovely art, the art can be almost a total wash as long as its got a good back story. If they end up just screwing their brains out though then I demand excellent art, lol  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:01 am
Would it be picky if I said that to me, both are considered important? sweatdrop I guess because I am an artist and writer, I place importance in both aspects.

Although, if the artwork is so-so but the storyline is mindblowing, I would definitely still read it. Unless the artwork is the "OMG! NUUUU! MY EYEEEEES!!! gonk " kind, then I would probably put the book down.

Now that I think about it, in the end, it's yaoi, screw the plot, where's the boylove, right? xd

But I still love it when a yaoi manga has a good storyline. Unless they're meant to be smutty oneshots. mrgreen

Gee, I'm rambling, aren't I? ninja

SilverMaple
Crew

Sparkly Lover

Dragon Queen Kimiko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:06 am
nah, rambling would be if you started to argue with yourself to the point of the whole post taking up the page itself, lol. You have a point there though, they both have importance, I think they just weigh eachother out depending on if its straight smut or if its meant to be something you have to read to get to why they're with each other (backstory is fun!!!)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:21 pm
Both are extremely important in my opinion. However, if the art sucks I have a feeling I wouldn't read it. If the story sucks I think I'd treat it just as an art book biggrin .

Kashira Ka04

Liberal Perfectionist

5,900 Points
  • Olympian 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Tsuki_Chan06

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:09 pm
To me both are important because it makes the story more interesting and fun to watch. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:52 pm
Story. Story story story. Art is important, too, if something looks like something that's been rotting on the side of the road for days wouldn't touch it, then I'll stop reading, but story is far more important. (Good story + good art is, of course, better.)

I need story in.. anything. Mostly. Vague rambling stories about guys sitting next to each other and talking, for the most part, I will not like. (example: Sumomo Yumeka. Great art, but I can't deal with her crap writing.) There can be exceptions, but they'd have to be very good.

Smut, PWP, or whatever you want to call it, I also don't like. Give me backstory or give me nothing. I want that character development to make sex between my boys believable. Also, even if something HAS enough backstory to make sex likely.. but it's too graphic.. don't like that either.  

Skizzors
Crew

retice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:08 pm
SilverMaple
Would it be picky if I said that to me, both are considered important? sweatdrop I guess because I am an artist and writer, I place importance in both aspects.

Although, if the artwork is so-so but the storyline is mindblowing, I would definitely still read it. Unless the artwork is the "OMG! NUUUU! MY EYEEEEES!!! gonk " kind, then I would probably put the book down.

Now that I think about it, in the end, it's yaoi, screw the plot, where's the boylove, right? xd

But I still love it when a yaoi manga has a good storyline. Unless they're meant to be smutty oneshots. mrgreen

Gee, I'm rambling, aren't I? ninja

What she said. =)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:52 pm
Well, the artwork is usually the first thing I look for when I'm going to buy a book, so It usually has to start with artwork, but if the story sucks a**, I woln't buy it. It really has to be both. If the story is excellent though and the artwork is average I can usually deal, but if artwork sucks a**, I woln't even pick it up...  

K-sol

Kitschy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:48 pm
I can usually overlook bad art for a great story. Both are pretty important though.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:45 pm
That depends.
I don't let bad art slip often, so it better be one damn fine story.
A bad story is a bit easier to ignore, becuase you can skip over it and just look at the art.
3nodding

Homestar M Runner

xoSHIRAHIMEox

Eternal Baby

12,250 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:28 am
i'm nort sure....but i say art and stroyline counts!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:09 am
To the story is more important that the artwork that go with it. If the story is enjoyable, I can always imagine the scenes on my own and just read, but if there is no plot, I won't go any further. I'll just pick up one book, so I can get the eye candy.  

Bertram Silverwebb

FaitoKuro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:12 am
Though I really enjoy good artwork, I enjoy and get more out of the story. If the storie's bad, I have a hard time watching it. Though I don't know of any yaois with a bad plot... XD  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:21 pm
I think both are very important. If there is a great story line I think great art makes it more worth reading. But if the art is bad it's kinda hard to want to keep reading it, especially if they end up doing things...  

Ks-gun-girl

sweety_o3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:24 pm
BOTH!!  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items