Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image
I find it a little surprising that there haven't been any threads for this band...

After listening to Unknown Pleasures, they've already shot high-up on my list of favorite bands, and I can't wait to acquire "Closer" mrgreen
Indeed, one of the most influential bands to the gothic rock movement. 3nodding

Discuss freely.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:47 am
Joy Division is probably the single most fundemental band to the development of the sound of goth-rock. I can't name any other band who had more influence (excluding Bauhaus, who didn't so much influence goth as they cemented it as a single product).

As for their image, they were more important than most think. Check out this photoshoot:

http://lionelsamain.com/milablog/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/Joyd.jpg

Again, they may not have brought it all together the way Bauhaus did, but Joy Division were early innovators.

*Ahem* Beyond their importance to the goth culture, they really are a great band. Arguably the best band (of ANY genre) of the last 30 years.  

GilAskan
Crew

Cockroach Waltz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:54 am
I don't know with Joy Division, I like a bit of their stuff but some is just too DEPRESSING.

Which coming from someone who is a member of the Goth Guild means something.

But that's just me, I like New Order better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:58 am
GilAskan
Joy Division is probably the single most fundemental band to the development of the sound of goth-rock. I can't name any other band who had more influence (excluding Bauhaus, who didn't so much influence goth as they cemented it as a single product).

As for their image, they were more important than most think. Check out this photoshoot:

http://lionelsamain.com/milablog/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/Joyd.jpg

Again, they may not have brought it all together the way Bauhaus did, but Joy Division were early innovators.

*Ahem* Beyond their importance to the goth culture, they really are a great band. Arguably the best band (of ANY genre) of the last 30 years.

I'll add the pic to the first post; very good find 3nodding
If anyone else has pics, I'll add them too  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:15 am
Cockroach Waltz
I don't know with Joy Division, I like a bit of their stuff but some is just too DEPRESSING.

Ironic when it's a band with the word "Joy" in it, eh? lol
Although, the phrase "joy division" has nothing to do with bliss; it is a term for a group of women who, during the Holocaust, were sold as sex slaves in a Nazi concentration camp.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:21 pm
Dead Ed
Cockroach Waltz

Ironic when it's a band with the word "Joy" in it, eh? lol
Although, the phrase "joy division" has nothing to do with bliss; it is a term for a group of women who, during the Holocaust, were sold as sex slaves in a Nazi concentration camp.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

hmm...I like the band, but I didn't know that...thanks for that piece of info, sounds interesting.

.+Melanthios+.

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:22 pm
I love Joy Division and their discordance and alienation 4laugh . But Ian Curtis was pretty ******** up it seems >.> relating to his death, where it took place, who found him, etc. I mean obviously he had problems and danced funny XP (totally need a Youtube link here), but his death seemed to be so careless of his family members. Yet his lyrics are some of the most beautiful I have come upon, Disorder being my favorite song.
Joy Division totally got me into the 70s space age thing, especially with the music video for Ceremony.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:34 pm
bluerain202
I love Joy Division and their discordance and alienation 4laugh . But Ian Curtis was pretty ******** up it seems >.> relating to his death, where it took place, who found him, etc. I mean obviously he had problems and danced funny XP (totally need a Youtube link here), but his death seemed to be so careless of his family members. Yet his lyrics are some of the most beautiful I have come upon, Disorder being my favorite song.
Joy Division totally got me into the 70s space age thing, especially with the music video for Ceremony.

True, he did dance a bit weird... I remember watching a video of their live performance of "New Dawn Fades" and seeing him wildly flail his arms at one point rofl
But man, I wonder what could've driven him to hang himself in the closet like that...  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:40 pm
Dead Ed
bluerain202

True, he did dance a bit weird... I remember watching a video of their live performance of "New Dawn Fades" and seeing him wildly flail his arms at one point rofl
But man, I wonder what could've driven him to hang himself in the closet like that...

oh I thought it was his kitchen for some reason XP.
I do know he had epilepsy, and had fits onstage (even taped), I think he was just depressed in general, I mean he had a kid when he really was looking for it and he drank, I mean depression sucks.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:14 pm
Hmm, just saw 24-Hour Party People-- Joy Division played a big part in the movie-- and just hearing She Lost Control put everyone in the room into this weird trance-like state. Though it's easy to over-rate them, it's just as, if not more, easy to completely overlook just how amazing they were, regardless of when their records were released.
Also, it's nice to see how the Ian Curtis dance has all but died out. XP Even I've been know still bust an epileptic move now and then.  

Myollnir

deja nous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:36 pm
one of my all-time favourite bands. i even like new order and electronic redface but bernard sumner could never write the way ian did.i loved 24 hour party people. so nostalgic. heart

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
I love New Dawn Fades and Isolation. Sadly those are they only two JD songs I own. sad

BTW is there a thread in the GAIA Forums for Joy Division? :S  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:06 pm
CrimsonThanatos
I love New Dawn Fades and Isolation. Sadly those are they only two JD songs I own. sad

BTW is there a thread in the GAIA Forums for Joy Division? :S

If you go into a bookstore that sells CDs (a la Borders), they'll likely sell Joy Division albums 3nodding

But I'm not so sure if there's a thread on Gaia for them.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:38 pm
I just bought She's Lost Control from iTunes, and LOVED it.  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

Cockroach Waltz

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:17 pm
Alright, I take back what I said before.

They're an amazing band.

<3

Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas