sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:08 pm
Okay, instead of another long-winded first post, I'll try to make this one brief.

I asked you members before about your feelings on the guild being a discussion guild. I tried not to give my own opinion, but after reviewing it again, I see that I added information that could've influenced your thoughts.
Without saying why I'm asking or what my own opinion is, I just would like your thoughts on the following question and maybe a small elaboration. Please? n.n
I have my own opinion but this guild isn't just about me. No major changes will ever take place without warning. ;] We all make up the guild afterall. ^___^
(<.< >.> I won't use my usual poll because that could confuse things.)

Anyone and everyone is welcome to answer.

[+] Which of the following situations would make you visit and/or post more often in this guild?
1. General poll whore guild. Spamming is allowed in the main forum.
2. Stay as it is now.
3. Become more strict. The definition of 'discussion' would be less lenient and the discussions posed would have to be more substantial.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:24 am
stay as it is now!  

Rob the Crowing

Profitable Sex Symbol

9,275 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200

gobstoppers_are_crunchy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:28 am
i wouldnt mind the main forum being more discussion besed however i think that you need to give the forum of spam the same amount of attention , when i say that i mena that sometimes old spammer can get a bit neglected ...same old threads in there > By keeping a balance andencouraging them to be equally well used all parties would be happyness.

i would also maintain the rule that all threads must have a poll becuase its justa nice way of getting gold but still haveing nice sensible conversationalismisum(cool word no?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:52 pm
gonk crying scream stressed
post got lost now i gotta rewrite

Allright well i have thought about this a bit and my train of thought led to someplace akin to gobstoppers. And this comes from someone who pretty much just joined, so i cant really compare what it is now to what it was then. (?i hear that it seems that maybe activity has slowed down??)

i like the idea of a dicussion based since it is nice to have a conversation and etc. Not only does a good convo keeps your interest it also allows you to get to know people. The issue with this is that it gives the forum a bit more serious air and may even cause some stress on the users. Trying to come up with a topic that you know will be analyzed for its worth and debating whether something may be too silly or not a good enough discussion are examples of the "stress" im referring to.

Now, the spam things is also nice. Since its very carefree and fun. The thing is that when is spamming too much. In my case numerous constant bump threads (i have no real issue with them its just an example) can get pretty annoying and i have no real interest to return to them.

So where does that leave us? Whats the solution to this? To be honest, I dont even know. This is where my brain decided to stop and not help me out at all.

(Sorry for the serious tone of it all...internet being dumb, irc being dumb, i guess it had a bit of an effect but then again im also thinking about starting a topic about the batmobile so.... sweatdrop )  

Blaiz

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:01 pm
To be honest with you guys, I didn't expect to see any answers yet. Thank you soo much. x3
I don't have time to read them at the moment, but I'll definitely take your thoughts into consideration and tell you guys why I'm asking this.

Basically, I've been weighing the pros and cons of being a discussion forum, and I think the pros of welcoming more spam into the guild will be the best for it overall.
Even though I like the way the guild is now~

I'll get my thoughts more straight later when I actually have time to reply.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:01 pm
Alright, I'll try to type out my thoughts. If you disagree with anything I say, please speak up.
BIG WALL OF TEXT:

This guild was once a spam poll whore guild and has been a discussion poll whore guild for a long time.

Becoming a discussion guild basically did one thing. We move all spam threads to the FoS (Forum of Spam).
We have the same type of discussion threads that we had before the split. And we have less spam threads because people don't use the FoS.

I try to create odd poll threads in the FoS. I notice that whenever I do, the same couple people post in that forum and not many people take the polls. I believe that no matter what we do, the main forum will always be more busy than the subforums.

While I like the guild in its current state, I believe that the guild is going downhill. Ever since it became a discussion guild, member activity has slowly declined.
Yes, we have our regulars, and I love all of you guys. We also have many new members who join and make a couple posts and then are never heard from again. I believe that the 'discussion rules' are scaring them away and that they feel they might do something wrong.

Like I said, I like the guild the way it is now. I was all for our switch to a discussion guild. The forum isn't cluttered and it's easy to carry on conversations in this guild. We've pretty much gotten to know eachother.

That's the biggest thing I want the guild to have~ community. I'd hate to see this guild turn into another run of the mill poll guild with a bunch of meaningless threads where nobody makes any posts.

However.
In our current situation, we have new members who request to join all the time, but never post. This is expected with a poll guild, but I think our rules are scaring them off. When people request to join, they often add that they love discussions and have many opinions... but they never post.
If we allow spam in the main forum, more people will start posting around the guild, hence, there'll be more people to get to know.
Our most popular threads in the guild that have lasted the longest are threads that come along with being a spam guild. The bump thread, the person above you thread, and the ^ > v game. Technically, if I didn't call those threads "official," they wouldn't be allowed in the main forum.

I propose that we return to being a spam poll guild.
More threads will be made with more fresh polls.
I believe about the same amount of discussion threads will still appear, and you can ignore the other spam threads if you'd like. ^^

I'm having deja vu. I think I said something close to this in a crew talk thread before, although I was supporting keeping a smaller community. ^^;;

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Blaiz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:44 pm
Maybe you should make an official poll with a deadline asking everyone to seriously vote for what they want.

or maybe switching the forums. instead of the main forum being the discussion forum have it be the spam/whatever you want to post forum and then have the other forum become the discussion forum.

or do you think that would amount to the same thing?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:10 pm
I believe ALL poll guilds have been declining in activity since the whole gold change a while back. Now it is much harder to get gold than it was back then. [I miss those days when you'd get 10g for every post ;-; ]
The change of the gold took a huge toll on Poll whores and poll whore guilds. [ -Used to be a pro poll whore- ]
I think the FoS serves its purpose. Just imagin, your trying to get a response from something you think is important, an hour later you go back to check if anyone replied to it, what you find isnt your topic but a whole 10 pages of spammage. Its not that great. [ -Not to put any offense on any poll guilds-] but I had been a big part of the 20,000 poll guild. It was all basically spam, if I posted something the only replies I would get are mrgreen emotes.

I think our guild is a very fun community but it is true that we are declining in members. Us regulars arent always online so its hard when a new person in the guild wants to talk and has no one around to do so.

Kohana Ichibana

9,350 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Love Machine 150

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:29 pm
I went back and saw what I'd written a long time ago in a crew talk thread. I like how I phrased what I said. XD;; I was arguing for the other side at that time, yep~

Oh~ hmm... I hadn't thought of switching the two forums, Blaiz. That is a possibility. I guess I hadn't thought of it because I don't see anyone visiting a subforum~
And~~ I know I should do a poll to see how people feel. Buut~~ I guess I wouldn't trust the poll.

I realize that the decline in activity also came with the new gold system. I take much fewer polls now than I used to. I hate seeing that I get no gold for answering one. D:
And~~ that's a good point about losing threads amongst spam threads. I guess I don't see PWU becoming that active, but I have to look further ahead into the future. XD
And... a lot of what you're saying is what I fought for when I didn't want the guild to become large and spammy. And~ this is why I'm torn, because I like this part about the guild.

Hmmmm... so... let's approach this differently... Does everyone agree that we should get more new members and/or get more members to post?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:27 am
You might be taking this from the wrong angle. Before when we were a spam guild we had ninja boy sending out join requests like a panda on speed. Going back to spam on the main forum might not get us the results we are looking for.

>< I think we should try to recruit some people, see where that get's us and if all doesn't work out then we know that recruitment isn't a factor and this spam guild thing is the key.

I personally would like to go back to the way it was ^^; But I like the dynamics we have created and would like to keep them if at all possiable.

JeeszyCreezy
Captain

O.G. Friend

sdrawkcab

Vice Captain

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:40 am
I just think that having a more relaxed atmosphere would encourage people to post.
I remember the inviting he would do. @.@ The guild would be crazy.

Remember when the new user tour appeared and there was a section where you had to go around and look at guilds?
During those first couple weeks, we had an average of 10-15 people request to join each day. Maybe some of them stayed, but most of them haven't posted, that's for sure.

That's the thing~ since we're a discussion guild, it's a little harder to recruit people.
You kind of have to see whether the person you invite would even want to post in the guild. You'd also have to watch the guild to welcome and help guilde the new members.
I think the more acceptable thing to do is hold a recruitment thread. The thing is, I'd like a few of the members online that day to help out with that thread if we ever make one. And it's hard for us to all be online at the same time. XD;;

Actually~ the guild that was created is the guild that I used to stand up for. I wanted a guild with a community feel where members could get to know eachother.. and not some random spam guild where the only person you recognize is somone who's trying to be a prommie.
I just want to open this up because I don't want my selfishness to bring the guild down.

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games