Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Television! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dreaming_mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:33 am
I know there are already a lot of these "Great British" threads within the guild and I'm sorry this is more of a rant because of an advert for a new series I saw on ITV.

Is it me or is T.V. actually lacking entertainment today? Now all we have our reality T.V. shows where the producers seem to pick the most desperate people they can find and manipulate them into "entertaining" the public.

Like Big Brother, I don't think it's any good. The first and second series I thought the people were realistic, and they did give some good comedy, but lately I've wanted to shoot the contestants. Some random guy trying to take a bath in a bin...be realistic! And last night I saw some woman crying about a load of maggots.

And it's not just Big Brother, I just saw an advert for The X Factor. How is this entertainment? Like with Pop Idol, what is so entertaining about watching people publicly humiliate themselves? Unless it's for like charity then it's pretty pointless.

Our term of celebrity also seems to be loosely used, for "celebrity" programs they use people who are famous for the most pathetic of things. I have always seen a celebrity as someone who has worked for their position or has talent. Rebecca Loos is not a celebrity because she supposedly shagged David Beckham. She's a slut.

So what is going on with British T.V? I find that daytime T.V. is far more entertaining, if I'm off college I love to watch This Morning because I think Fern and Philip are hilarious. Some of the drama serials are pretty cool, Bad Girls (and I'm sorry but I've just become a Footballer's Wives addict - THE SHAME!)

What do you think of the T.V.? Great Britain produces, is it really that great? Should we be paying the BBC all this money when personally I think ITV produces far better quality shows? The only program I will watch on the BBC is Neighbours - and that's not even British! I will watch Little Britain and Deadringers, but should we pay so much money for so little quality?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:44 am
Indeed. Entertainment has taken a large slump. The main interest seem to be anything scandalous. Like you said about Rebecca Loos. Almost destroy someone's marriage and what do you get? To be a T.V personality, of course.

Alas, I mainly watch UKTV.  

Arcsun

girl_no_13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:41 am
I still like some tv, GMTV is the soundtrack of most of my mornings, and Hollyoaks is similarly undemanding, but thats they thing about British TV, so much of it is undemanding trash, sometimes this can be good, but most of the time I cant switch off but while Im watching I get the feeling my mind is pouring out through my ears. Dumbing down on TV? Definatly  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:26 am
The Daily Politics is still really good.

Other than that I only watch one programme with any regularity, and that's the OC and not British at all.  

Fourcolour

dreaming_mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:00 am
Yea I think most of the good stuff we see on our T.V. is from America, I'm sorry but I'm a huge friends fanatic. I still cry when I see the one where Chandler and Monica get engaged. I'm not like that with British T.V. most of the good stuff has finished. The Vicar of Dibley and Cold Feet - I loved these and was so sad when they finished.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:26 am
Fourcolour
The Daily Politics is still really good.

Other than that I only watch one programme with any regularity, and that's the OC and not British at all.

Ah, so it's not just me then..

..Bremner, Bird and Fortune was great too.

Invictus_88
Captain

Tachikoma Fanclub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:04 am
dude, you guys completely forgot about the great British institution that is Richard And Judy! Those guys are living legends.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:06 am
Tachikoma Fanclub
dude, you guys completely forgot about the great British institution that is Richard And Judy! Those guys are living legends.

I hate them, I never watch their program on channel 4. Judy is okay but Richard gets on my nerves...  

dreaming_mouse

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:31 pm
Tachikoma Fanclub

Too true. The best one was when they met some edge kids and declared that all non-edge punk fans were 'ecstasy popping, vodka swilling, cannabis smoking punks'. Hoho. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:09 am
The only show i look foward to watching is Friday Night with Johnathan Ross cause in my view there is nothing else worth watching.  

Masada

Cleocatra

IRL Trash

34,625 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:00 am
I watch Uk Gold, Kerrang, random news programs (mainly BBC), cartoon network/Toonami and Sky One (on wednesdays I watch E4 for Scrubs)
Most of the time I am on the laptop though.

I must watch:
Dead like me (finished now though)
Braniac: History Abuse
Scrubs
When I'm doing DT homework: Kerrang or other Music program (Vh1, Magic)
Random Anime on Toonami

Otherwise I don't watch anything.

I only spend about 4 hours a week on average watching tv (dead like me 1h, braniac 1h scrubs 1h after dead like me there's an interesting show 1h)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:04 pm
I have almost given up on TV. I only watch it on Friday nights. Scrubs and Will and Grace. Its all American though.
I am watching TV just now. Glastonbury.
The BBC news is still ok. I dont really watch it anymore. Im more of a radio and internet person.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:08 am
Newsnight!
Paxman needs a knighthood.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:51 pm
Fourcolour
Tachikoma Fanclub

Too true. The best one was when they met some edge kids and declared that all non-edge punk fans were 'ecstasy popping, vodka swilling, cannabis smoking punks'. Hoho. biggrin

Ah yes, the punk stereotype. I think Richard and Judy once had a 'ounk' band, all the members of which were about 11, singing a song about how its not cool to smoke and do drugs- rather amusing.  

girl_no_13

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:29 am
http://80scartoons.co.uk/

From the age-demographic of this Guild, I'm thinking this site might be of some amusement/nostalgia..

..it's on the British Stereotypes thread too, because I'm sad and I like it that much.

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff