Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Generalized Chaos Magick, An Attempt at [Under Construction] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Iosonos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:11 pm
Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Chaos Magick, by definition, is not a religion, nor a spiritual belief (mostly), but an overall philosophy on how one approaches magic. As such, it is a catch-all term that can be used by many people to help explain their path to others.

This leads to troubles trying to generalize what is and isn't "Chaos Magick," and as such, if you believe I left anything out, post and I'll add to it (assuming I stay on top of this).

Moving right along... I will be going over some of the sects of Chaos Magic, some belief systems that are widely influenced by the idea, or claim to be "Chaos Magick," some basic terms and definitions you will likely encounter while trying to learn about this philosophy/path, and other forms of ranting I can come up with.

Note that while I may be a Chaote, I can in no way speak for every path or take on the system, and will try to give you an informed beginning to how to continue your studies instead.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:12 pm
Table of Contents:
/*V 0.01*/

Introduction: 1
Table of Contents: 2
History: 3
Forms of Chaos: 4
Other stuff I'll figure out: 5 to turtle

(Side Links, will have a home in the future)
http://members.aol.com/zcluster/Pages/zhome.html  

Iosonos

Iosonos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:13 pm
The History:Still uninspired... Needs alot of work...

The total history of Chaos magick can be better described by the Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_magic

But I'll give you a quick (and most likely error-proned, so correct me if i'm wrong) and dirty overview.

Chaos Magick was first founded on many of the teachings of Aleister Crowley and Austin Osman Spare, two of the most influential mages in the Western occult scene.

While Crowley was very focused on setting down a set system and practice to be followed, many of his concepts on the individual and personal power would be incorporated into CM (I got tired of writing Chaos Magic).

Spare, on the other hand, is attributed as being pretty much the founder of CM by most serious sects, and considered at least to be a majour influence for its evolution. He was the initiator of many new concepts, such as a unique take on sigilization, where personal symbols are used/created to represent a desire or spell.

This idea of personalizing magic rituals, rather than following those laid down by a book or elder is a majour foundation of Chaos Magick, where many techniques may be taken from multiple sources to create the grimoire or Book of Shadows for the user.

The idea of CM at this time was still unheard of, and most of Spares ideas were not practiced beyond some of his students. Around 1976, the Illuminates of Thanateros was founded, and the "Chaos Movement" was started. The IOT to this day still stands as the majour source of Chaote literature, with dozens of books written on the subject.

Around 1988, CM saw a decline of experienced magicians, as many of the chaotes started to become annoyed with the politics that were no rampant in the community.

During the "slump" period, a BBS society started to develop. This would eventually lead to the creation of groups, such as the Zee List.

It is because of groups like Zee list, as well as other more generic sites such as OccultForums that has lead to a massive increase of "practicers" of CM.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:14 pm
Forms of Chaos:Insert funny phrase here

Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and adventures are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes and forgotten - Neil Gaiman

Chaos is, well, chaotic. It  

Iosonos

Iosonos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:15 pm
Saving this for articles....  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:16 pm

Iosonos

Iosonos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:16 pm
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:19 pm