Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
What got you in to reading fantasy books? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

margarita salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:09 am
Just wondered there's a lot of genres out there, what was the first fantasy book you read and though wow this is so cool I must read some more?

And while I have this topic going I may as well ask question 2 WHY are there so many bad fantasy books out there? It's so hard to pick and find really really good ones and you can get though some real shockers before you find the diamond in the rough, It would have to be the biggest off put of the fantasy genere  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:49 pm
Well, I got into fantasy in about seventh grade, when I started reading Tamora Pierce's Immortals series. It's a good starter series, in my opinion. Hell, it's just a good series. And I think that some books come off as bad because fantasy can be hard to write. You'd think it would be easy, especially if it's a whole new world, but it's harder to make a new world than it seems. After all, you have to set limits and follow them, to make it seem realistic. Personally, I find more books that I like than ones that I don't. And the ones that I didn't like were just boring to me, more than they were poorly written. Though I've come across that seem great the first time through, then aren't so fun in re-readings. For those times, I blame reading a bunch of awful books or just re-reading books I'm tired of for a long time.  

NightIntent
Captain

Kolibris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:19 pm
My friend did it. She lent me her books, and got me hooked to them. Now I have nearly as many as she does.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:12 am
I don't think I have any particular reason. I mean, ever since I was born, my parents used to tell me stories from books, so I was interested in them. When I learnt to read, I immediately started to read books, and fantasy was one of my first genres. There are some other genres which I got hooked because of a certain book, but fantasy isn't one of them.  

Takiko-chan

Ayamechan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:56 pm
Right before my eighth grade year, my family just moved from my hometown to the Washington, DC area. It was only for a year, so I figured I'd survive. I didn't figure my classmates would pick on me as much as they did. It was horrible, and I wanted to kill myself.

Enter English class, and book discussion groups. The teacher assigned a sci-fi/fantasy unit, wherein each group selected a book to read. The girl I'd been pretty much clinging to all through the year was quite well-read in the fantasy genre, and she suggested The Last Unicorn. Having read NOTHING in that particular genre, I agreed. I loved it, and went to her for more recommendations. It gave me something to do other than "lay around and want to die."

I've seldom been seen without a book since. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:43 pm
Ok picture this......I'm far away in an unknown world and I'm bored as all hell. So this wicked old drunk witch owns a library and that becomes my sanctuary. There are so many books to choose from, but one stands out more than anyother.......Dragon Lance, I was 13 years old at the time and I saw the characters on the cover and knew I might connect. So I read it!!!! And ever since them have been hooked!!!!! YEAH guild love!! welcome cpt_morgan! mrgreen  

Flux_o_color

jujumattos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:16 pm
the first fantasy book i read were one that i ddont remeber the name xd but i think it were charlie and the chociolate factory heart this were the first book that i realy love and since tham i love fantasi books heart heart  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:19 pm
That whole never been without a book since comment......very true for me. I have this black leather book cover that I got in like 9th grade. I've been keeping track (kinda) on how many books I"ve read in it. I think it's at about 200 something. The whole point to me saying that, is I'm known to always have it with me. It's funny though cause everyone thinks I'm reading the Bible..............how little they know me. mrgreen  

Flux_o_color

draven_heart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:54 am
The very fist actuall book i read was 'Little Women' in grade 5, but i didn't get into fantasy until I read Harry Potter I think.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:32 pm
My mom got my into fantasy. She read me the "magic tree house books""Avalon series" "Chronicles of Narnia"(till 6th) "Harry Potter"(till 4th) "Artmis Fowl" (2nd) and many more so I became kinda hooked.  

Kareys_Phoenix

rockyrogue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:17 am
I have to say that it's because one day I was watching Who Wants To Be a Millionaire and all of a sudden a question came on asking, Which is the most popular book series for children. Needless to say the answer was Harry Potter, and I asked my parents what it was and my dad bought me the third book and i read the first few chapters and I was hooked. Then I finished that series, and moved to a different place where the first friends I met got me hooked into the Wheel of Time series.

I think the reason why some Fantasy books are horrible is because every person's tastes are different. And it's rather difficult to create a fantasy world and make sure that everything continues the same. It's not an easy thing to do.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:59 pm
rockywitch
I have to say that it's because one day I was watching Who Wants To Be a Millionaire and all of a sudden a question came on asking, Which is the most popular book series for children. Needless to say the answer was Harry Potter, and I asked my parents what it was and my dad bought me the third book and i read the first few chapters and I was hooked. Then I finished that series, and moved to a different place where the first friends I met got me hooked into the Wheel of Time series.

I think the reason why some Fantasy books are horrible is because every person's tastes are different. And it's rather difficult to create a fantasy world and make sure that everything continues the same. It's not an easy thing to do.

It isn't an easy thing to do, not only to have tp keep up rules to a whole new world, you need to make it unique from alll the others out there. I say "thumbs up!!" authors!!  

Flux_o_color

rockyrogue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:56 pm
Flux_o_color
rockywitch

It isn't an easy thing to do, not only to have tp keep up rules to a whole new world, you need to make it unique from alll the others out there. I say "thumbs up!!" authors!!

I agree completely! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:22 pm
sweatdrop Heh, I have no idea what started me in fantasy...I think it was in my blood...I remember when I was really little, like before 5 years that my dad used to play D&D, but my parents split soon after that and I didn't see him again for a long time.

I think I might have found something at the library, we didn't own very many books, and my mom didn't really have the time to read to me. Thank GOD for libraries, I lived in them most of my life. Especially in high school, they all knew my name and I did volunteer work and got my fines waved all the time (*grin* it's hard to keep track of due dates when you have 60 books checked out) I think the young adult librarian must have liked fantasy 'cause she kept that section really stocked up. *sighs and fondly remembers* 4laugh  

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Marlaina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:37 am
knowing me... the pretty covers... i was probably in a book store and walked past the fantasy section, saw the cover, picked it up, read the back, decided to read it and the rest is history... no i don't always judge a book by it's cover but if the publishers take the time to get really good artwork on it i know they like it so i'll check it out faster then i will one that has bad artwork

or it could be because my dad has a shelf full of the stuff and i've grown up with him reading it... and friends that like it so it just rubbed off  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff