Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Gothic Beauty magazine Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:51 am
I bought a copy of this magazine while in a Hot Topic, because me and my family were just in the mall to have dinner (I went shopping a little while we waited for our table), and we had come from and were going back to a cheerleading competition which was very long and very boring, so I wanted some reading material.

Well, Gothic Beauty magazine is, for the most part, an amazing magazine! I have some problems with some of the fashion articles, which put maybe a little too much emphasis on fashion in gothic subculture - then again I'm never a fan of the fashion section in any magazine - but I did scan the fashion articles and I did see some clothes I thought were cool. There was even a DIY article on how to make your own layered belt, which I might try sometime. But there were also articles about gothic lifestyle, goth music, and even art. Needless to say, I found a lot of it very interesting and I definitely want to subcctibe, but it looks like you only get 4 articles a year, which stinks. I want more!

So, does anyone else read this magazine, or a similar magazine about goth subculture? I'd be interested to see if there are other good gothic magazines out there.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:50 am
I'd be interested in taking a look at the magazine, but I doubt I'd pay for it. I don't like the idea of it focusing too much on fashion. Because we are so much more than that.  

Alice_K8

TheWitchGotRobin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:49 am
It's pretty cool. I'd rather there be an English version of The Lolita Bible, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:52 am
Demon princess of Love
I'd be interested in taking a look at the magazine, but I doubt I'd pay for it. I don't like the idea of it focusing too much on fashion. Because we are so much more than that.

I know, that was the one problem I had with it. But there were articles that focused on other things, as in things worth reading.  

Freedom Fire

ShallowGraves

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:58 am
I've looked through a couple of issues of the magazine. A few of their writers are very good, a couple of them are just ok, and they have quite a few that I really didn't enjoy that much. But all in all, it is an ok magazine, and I suggest at least checking it out.

biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:13 pm
I find it to be inconsistent in quality myself. Some of the issues are GREAT, with huge artist interviews, excellent essays about the scene, intelligent editorials and unique takes on the fashion and art. On the other hand, there are a few issues which only have minor artist interviews (or interviews with artists who have no relation to the goth-culture), repetitive editorials, and cliched opinions. I LOVE some of the issues, but find others to be... well, plain.  

GilAskan
Crew

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:16 pm
That's a cool magazine. Lovely pictures!

Demon princess of Love

I think everyone in here has seen enough people rant about how Goth isn't just clothes to last a lifetime.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:36 pm
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

I've never heard of a beauty magazine for goths before Hmmm

Light Is My Deaths Curse

Dante Omura

UraniumMonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:09 am
My sister reads it somewhat avidly.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:20 am
bounty_hunter_bk
It's pretty cool. I'd rather there be an English version of The Lolita Bible, though.
Me too. Or at least they could sell it in the U.S. other than online. stressed I know tons of people who would love to buy it, but can't buy things online (including myself!)  

SamuraiArren

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:47 am
theres been several threads about this magzine
a few in which ive proved a point of it being full of vainitys and material wastes  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:13 am
SamuraiArren
bounty_hunter_bk
Me too. Or at least they could sell it in the U.S. other than online. stressed I know tons of people who would love to buy it, but can't buy things online (including myself!)

I couldn't read the Japanese even if I did order it. But it'd kind of take me back to that state of being a child and looking at a book for it's pictures. xd  

TheWitchGotRobin

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:07 pm
Nyed
theres been several threads about this magzine
a few in which ive proved a point of it being full of vainitys and material wastes

Ah, sorry. I'm fairly new here. And yeah, it does seem pretty vain and materialistic at times.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:51 pm
hmmm... never heard of it before. but i would never step foot in a mall. i get clastrophobic  

The Reused

xSTHMx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:59 pm
I would never wast my money on it since I never have money I would probubly just read it  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff