Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
About Hellenism Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YamiB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:07 pm
I'm going to do a presentation comparing the ancient Greek religion with the Modern practice. I figured it would be good to get some opinions from actual followers. So to those who currently practice Hellenism, how do you think your practice of the religion differs from how it was practiced in ancient Greece.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:29 pm
YamiB
I'm going to do a presentation comparing the ancient Greek religion with the Modern practice. I figured it would be good to get some opinions from actual followers. So to those who currently practice Hellenism, how do you think your practice of the religion differs from how it was practiced in ancient Greece.

Very Different.

I don't have the same mindset, the same culture or context, the community. The best we can hope for is a well-researched view into that world and update it and bring it into the modern context.

But at the same time, we are sort of similar. Hellenic religion was never unified, never the same. Even the "Olympians" changed from city-state to city-state. The incredible wealth of different beliefs and ideas that we have now is, I think, the best way that we are still the same.  

maenad nuri
Captain

YamiB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:00 pm
If I'm understanding correctly you are saying that you are basicaly another sect within the overall religion similar to the different sects that existed for each city-state. Or am I not gettin the right idea?

Would you say that there is less variance in the practice that exists today?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:11 pm
YamiB
If I'm understanding correctly you are saying that you are basicaly another sect within the overall religion similar to the different sects that existed for each city-state. Or am I not gettin the right idea?

Sort of. Except the variance is on a more individual/small group level.
Quote:

Would you say that there is less variance in the practice that exists today?

Only in that there are less people.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Nuri

Within Hellenic Recon, how much would you say this is a boon to the theology, and how much a bane in so much that I would guess some of this comes from a lack of education on the different religions themselves?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:17 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri

Within Hellenic Recon, how much would you say this is a boon to the theology, and how much a bane in so much that I would guess some of this comes from a lack of education on the different religions themselves?

I don't consider myself recon anymore, nor do I think Recon is anything more than a methodology, first off.

We have....our conflicts, particuarly within people who think what appeals to them most (as one person put it today: Ritual, Mystic, and Theological)

I personally think it is the best thing, especially if people are articulate and thoughtful.

Ignorance is always a bane, no matter what.

Uh, I'm not sure if this actually answered your question.  

maenad nuri
Captain

YamiB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:03 pm
This is probably a dumb question, but what exactly is recon?

Would it stand for reconstruction?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:06 pm
YamiB
This is probably a dumb question, but what exactly is recon?

Would it stand for reconstruction?

Yup! It differentiations religions that are cleaving to a single or a group of related cultures rather than drawing from a wider range of sources. There's oftne a heavy emphasis on scholarship and, at least in the recon communities i'm used to, a good deal of intellectual rangling back and forth between members.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:54 am
Deoridhe
a good deal of intellectual rangling back and forth between members.
If you tempt me to move back out East- it will make it difficult to have everyone move to Oly.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:08 am
You should split the difference and move to the midwest.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:11 am
Nuri
You should split the difference and move to the midwest.
Pish. All Hellenics should live in Olympia at one point in their life.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:09 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
If you tempt me to move back out East- it will make it difficult to have everyone move to Oly.
These are largely online ranglings, actually, so they follow wherever I go.

The Internet, it's lik the Spirit Realm, in a way.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:58 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
These are largely online ranglings, actually, so they follow wherever I go.

The Internet, it's lik the Spirit Realm, in a way.
Ah good. So when you go to UW, it will all work into my sinister plot out.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:54 pm
Sence I'm doing my best to research this path when I can, I was hopeing someone would do a topic for it in the pathways subforum. At the moment all I can get my hands on are Greek and Roman myths. I'm looking for a copy of Greek Religion by an author's who's name I have just forgotten confused I don't think my library carries it crying  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:16 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Sence I'm doing my best to research this path when I can, I was hopeing someone would do a topic for it in the pathways subforum.
I've been hoping that for some time myself.

Hellenic Theology is my weakpoint really.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff