Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Books Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Takiko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:35 pm

Have anyone ever read any of her books? So far, I only read The Mists of Avalon, though I have other 2 books by her that I still didn't start reading... Because I need to read lots of books for school, and most of them are these boring non-fiction crap. And I rarely ever start a book when there's an un-finished one that needs to be read.
Going back to topic, which books of hers have you read, and what did you think about them?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:16 pm

I've been meaning to read The Mists of Avalon. But I never got around to it. One of these days, maybe.

NightIntent
Captain

Takiko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:29 pm

Yeah, you will soon read it, since I can't stop babbling about it. I mean, I won't stop 'til you start to read it.
It worked many times.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:54 pm

Well, I'll have to wait until after summer break, because I don't want to buy it. They have it at the school library, though, so I'll get it next year. I'd get it sooner, but I don't think they'll let us check out books anymore.

NightIntent
Captain

Takiko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:56 pm

Really? Why wouldn't they let you check out books?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Because we've only got like two weeks of school left and most people can't read books that fast. So no books until next year, I think. I'm not risking getting an obligation.

NightIntent
Captain

margarita salt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:03 am

I haven't read any of them, you feel like giving me a low down on what there about? I need some more books to add to my reading list and am always looking for new good ones.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:28 am

Well, since The Mists of Avalon is the only book of hers that I've read so far, I'll talk about it.

Summary
Here is the tragic tale of the rise and fall of Camelot - but seen through the eyes of Camelot women: the devout Gwenhwyfar, Arthur's queen; Viviane, high priestess of Avalon and the Lady of the Lake; above all, Morgaine, possessor of the Sight, the wise-woman fated to bring ruin on them all...

It's a retelling of the Arthurian saga, concentrating more on love triangles and relationships than battle. The story is sad, and very well-written and original. I highly recommend reading it. ^^

Takiko-chan

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:56 am

Happy? I rented The Mists of Avalon at the library. I'm about a quarter of the way through it. I dislike what's-her-name, Viviane. Though it's hard to dislike her completely. Morgaine's my favorite. I don't like Igraine, never did. She was too Uther-obsessed after she met him. And she betrayed her husband, damn it. After all her promises not to. Bad Igraine. But, yeah, Morgaine's cool. Even if she is having a child sired by her half brother. I'm at the part where she went into labor, and she's about to have her baby. Then I had to stop and go to sleep. But it's a pretty good book so far. Better than the disturbing book I bought on Friday.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:09 pm

I knew you would like it, it seemed like your type of book.
Anyway, my favourite pairing was MorgainexArthur during the whole book. Even though they're half siblings, they looked so good together... And there's also this thing which I don't want to spoil, in the ending.
I used to dislike Viviane too, though after *something* happens, I felt bad for her and started to like her again. Igraine used to be one of my favourite characters, until she married Uther and started to ignore Morgaine and Arthur.

Takiko-chan

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:53 pm

Yeah, I still don't like Viviane. My favorite pairing is probably... Lancelet and Gwenhwyfar. Just beacuse they sooo suit each other. I don't particularly either of them. I just got to te part where Lancelet is confessing to Morgaine about the little threesome at Beltane. It makes me laugh so, so hard. Oh, my. I don't know why, but it just strikes me as utterly hilarious. Yeah, I'm mean like that, to laugh at the sorrow of others. But he's just so freaked out about it that I can't help but laugh.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:42 am

xp I remember that my friend wouldn't stop ranting about this part.
"HOW COME THAT STUPID GWENHWYFAR CAN BE SAD BECAUSE OF THIS?? SHE SLEPT WITH TWO HANDSOME MEN AND SHE'S BITCHING ABOUT IT!!!" (~My Friend)
Anyway, I don't like that pairing very much. I hated what Lancelet did with Morgaine and Gwen is so... whiny. Annoying. Everything. I totally hate her. *stabs voodoo doll*

Takiko-chan

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:35 pm

Yeah, I don't like them either, but you gotta admit, through sheer annoyingness, they suit each other very well. Arthur's too good for Gwenhwyfar. Is it just me, or is it weird how quickly he got over Morgaine? I mean one day he was staring at her, making cow eyes in her direction, and basically being a complete a**, and the next he's suddenly obsessed with Gwenhwyfar. Anyone else see something wrong there? I think he's just hiding it. Because, you know, the whole incest thing is wrong. But I still prefer Morgaine for him than Gwenhwyfar. And that's saying something, because I have major issues with incest. Poor Viviane, though. (I reached that part.) I hate Balin for that. But I still didn't really like Viviane, even if I do feel bad for her. And Morgaine, too, because she lost all her hope after that. Elaine's a little b***h-child. And, while I can't blame her for trying, I can't believe Morgaine helped her! Oh my god, she shouldn't have. But what's done is done, and I doubt everything would've gone well in the end if Lancelet was still sleeping with Gwenhwyfar. That is, by far, the most annoying name to spell. Ever. I was thinking. If I had to be any of the women in that book, I'd be a mix of Morgaine and Morgause. I like both of them, they're fun. I like Morgaine more, but Morgause has her traits. Even if she is a selfish little scheming b***h. That's not always a bad thing. And with Morgaine's good traits and Morgause's traits, too, that'd be a fun character to be. And I'll stop babbling now.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:00 am

Well, every single character in the book is a damned unhappy soul, so I prefer to have my current life.
I remember how much I hated Balin after that. When he.......later, I was squealing with happiness. I mean, squealing in my mind.
And I never noticed how fast Arthur got over Morgaine. Oh well... actually, he mghmghdmhg... Argh... must... resist... the... urge... to... spoil...

Takiko-chan

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:38 pm

Yeah, no kidding, they're all depressing. But i'm talking personality-wise. Not to have their life. Hello, I don't want to act like a whore like Morgause does. I think I'm nearly to the part you were going to spoil about Arthur. I'll read more, in a little while. I have other stuff that I planned to do first. Like finishing my history final. And typing stuff.
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff