Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
Conforming by pure choice. (Kind of venting too.) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you feel there's something wrong with that?
Yes.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No.
52%
 52%  [ 22 ]
Kind of.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Poll whore, FTW!
33%
 33%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 42

TheWitchGotRobin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:47 am
Text wall. Sorry.

So, the other day I was walking around the shoe department in Wal-Mart and I saw some high tops that were the most frank knock offs of Chucks (Converse) I've ever seen. Even, to the point that they had an almost exact replica of the pair that I've wanted for a while. About 10 bucks.
Well, then I did something that's kind of out of character for me. I didn't buy them. Why? Because they weren't the real thing. I know it sounds stupid, -- even I find it to be on the band wagon side -- but oddly enough I don't feel that ashamed. Usually, I'll buy anything that looks good no matter what brand it is. (However, it's very rare that I'll wear a shirt with and brand logo on it, cuz I feel there's no creativity in that, especially if it's expensive.) But in the case of chucks, I have what I guess you could say an emotional attachment, and with that comes a certain degree loyalty. They're just my favorite brand of shoe. Plain and simple. (I wear other brands too, of course.) I guess the only thing that's bothering me is the fact that I'm blatantly conforming to something. Even though I'm not one to take part the holyer than thou non-conformist thing, it still kind of rubs me the wrong way that I feel drawn to the popular brand rather than the cheaper pair. But only a little. I guess to put it bluntly, I'm bothered that it's not bothering me. And in turn that bothers me too, because as I said I usually don't care. (LOL PARADOX!)

So anyway, Disc:
- Your attachments to one brand and why.
- Tell me why I'm silly for being on the Converse band wagon. (Just to get it off your chest. Not because I'll care.)
- Generic VS the real thing. (In the real chucks' defense, they're probably made better than the other.)  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:29 pm
Funny you should mention that, I just bought a pair of those shoes in black at Wal-Mart and no one believes they're not real Chucks until I show them there's no label.

I would say you were silly for not buying them, but I'm extremely cheap and a die hard bargain hunter so you can't really listen to me...

I guess it comes down to just doing what you want. If you want the real thing, get the real thing, and don't feel bad about wanting them. You're not buying them because of other people, so you're not really conforming.

And as for generic v.s. brand name, I have found that Wal-Mart brands are great, at least. I bought a pair of boots there that look like something from Demonia. I also got a skirt that was ankle length and made of crushed velvet and lace for under 20$.  

Dragonfire Goddess

Yuvy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:43 pm
I would say that you shouldn't worry so much smile If it's what you feel, it's what you feel and it doesn't really need any reason or justification. You're not hurting anyone, you just didn't want them. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:06 am
Dragonfire_Goddess
Funny you should mention that, I just bought a pair of those shoes in black at Wal-Mart and no one believes they're not real Chucks until I show them there's no label.

Holy s**t, those were the ones! xd  

TheWitchGotRobin

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:58 pm
I seem to have brand loyalty for New Rock boots, I can't help it, if I get a pair of big boots it just has to be New Rocks, I've had people try to sway me to Mad Fish and other similar but cheaper makes but I just have to have New Rocks.

However, when it's anything other than big a** boots, I'm a complete cheapskate. I buy from anywhere; supermarket brands, cheap high street shops, charity shops, basically anywhere. I don't see why I should pay £70 for something I can get for £7 (incidently I found TWO pairs of £70-80 jeans for £6 each at a local oxfam xd and my 3/4 trench was £10, also from oxfam). My defence is I'm a student, I need all the money I can get and the money I save on basic clothing I spend on more elaborate but less needed clothing 3nodding

A friend of mine is a complete converse-whore. He won't buy anything other than converse and has tried (and failed) to get me to buy a "decent" brand of shoes. Strangely, he only allows his elite friends to wear converse without backstabbings that they're just wearing converse to copy rolleyes Somehow I don't have much respect for him.

However, I don't have anything against other wearers of Converse, if you like a brand of shoes why shouldn't you buy them? 3nodding biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:52 am
With most things I'm more of a bargain-hunter than a loyalist-to-a-brand. I buy pretty much whatever not super-expensive clothing I find appealing... wether it's a $2 blouse frm a thrift shop, or a $40 skirt from Macy's, I just buy what I like.

However, there is one exception to my rule of buying whatever.... and that would be with corsetry. I had for a long time sufficied with cheap PVC-boned corstes bought on clearance from Hot Topic, but I hated how thier form was so easily distorted, and how they were often very poorly made for the price (seeing that, before they were put on clearance, most of these were between $50-$65). However, I eventually found a store in my area which sells some better quality brand-name corsetry. I found that despite the steep prices, thier corsets are wonderfully made and well worth the expense. I'm currently saving up to get a few brand-name corsets, and I now refuse to buy any more cheap brands of corsetry.  

DreamerSpirit

Laharl Part Deux

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:29 pm
I don't think you should feel bad about the shoes. If you want to get a pair of actual chucks, get a pair of actual chucks. (I'm a chuck lover myself ^^~). It would be wrong if you bought the Wal-Mart shoes because you didn't really want them. My saying is do what you want, who cares how it looks to others as long as you're happy with you.Stay true to you.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:56 am
Real Converse are very well made. I have a pair and it lasted me for three years. I've also worn the shoes your talking about. Got em at Wal-Mart. They felt just the same, but they only lasted about a year and a half.

On certian things, I go for the name brand that I trust. I don't say theres anything wrong with what you did. I'd do the same.

I don't see the problem with the "Chucks bandwagon" either. They're good, comfortable shoes, and they look good.  

Deadside Dreams

lyssiah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:58 pm
I don't really have any brand attatchments, if I see it nd I like it, and I have the dough, I buy it. I can understand wanting the real thing and not a chep knock off though. Its about what you like... Don't worry so much about. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:02 pm
yeah, i wouldnt feel too bad, caus i do the exact same things with my shoes. Like the vans >.> i see some really awsome pair of them but their not the original vans, so i just dont buy them.  

destinygirl_8

DR490N

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:24 am
i bought a pair of bondage pants at my local rock shoppe. they look exactly like a pair i've been wanting from tripp. do i care that they're nto the real thing? no.

now, on the subject of converse, i wouldnt by their stuff anyways, because they make their stuff in sweatshops in places like Bangladesh where workers have few rights, plus, they're owned by nike, which is a big no no for me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:30 pm
Well, we wouldn't want you dressing in poor clothes, now would we?  

-Isel-

dante_reincarnation15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:01 pm
notin wrong with it  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:16 am
I love Sega, I cried when they nearly went bankrupt and for a long while, I refused to play anything that wasn't on a Sega machine or PC.

As for silly for wanting chucks, not really, (though I remember them being called converse all stars when I was little way back in the early 90's when grunge ruled the world) the whole point of that particular brand is, that unlike the cheap variants, they are actually well made (which is a departure from trend) and if your wearing cloth trainers, then you want them to be able to take some wear and tear. I laugh at people who buy them where I live, because it rains... everyday, seriously.

Generic vs real, the only argument, I can thing of is price, I'm never willing to pay more then 20 quid for an item of clothing, if it costs more then that its a rip off, unless its made of leather or sewn together by blind monkeys in the Chinese jungle trained in the ways of shao lin... in which case, who doesn't a pair of shao lin monkey pants?  

Rellik San
Crew

The_Super_Nintenho

Rogue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:02 pm
To be honest, I don't care to buy shoes at wal-mart, and Converse seem to be getting cheaper in quality anyway...dispite if it's the real brand name or not. Now adays they make the real converse with cotton fabric and rubber, and they sell them for up to 40$, 30$ or less if you catch a sale, but still, for that price? I own a pair my mom got for me, and she paid 20$ from a half off discount, but after a couple of weeks of wearing them, they started to fall apart. A pair at wal-mart would probably last longer. The sides of the rubber peel of the fabric, and they are super thin, seriously. I can feel the ground through the soul of the shoe. To be honest, it wouldn't matter if you bought the real thing, Convereses these days are getting to be lesser quality then they appear, as for cloths though, I don't care, as long as it last me and fits good I'm fine. Shoes do matter though, and the best pair of shoes I owned were a nice black pair of Sketchers, and I had them for over a year...I loved them, but then after wearing them so much I had to replace them.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff