Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Traditional Satanism Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PirateEire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:57 pm
*Ahem* Hello, I am PirateEire, a LaVeyan Satanist. You would think I was here to talk about LaVeyan Satanism, but I was sort of in the mood to try something different. So, instead, I'll be talking about, well, "Traditional" Satanism. Here goes.

Traditional Satanism is a form of Satanism. It is the Satanism you often hear about, yet in total, there are less Traditional Satanists than LaVeyan Satanists. It is a broad pathway, but a pathway nonetheless.

The earliest recorded mention of Satanism was in an address from an Oxford professor Thomas Harding to a John Jewel, bishop of Salisbury, after a controversy that had sparked between the two regarding recusancy, in 1565 or 1566 C.E. In it, Harding described Martin Luther, founder of Lutheranism, a protestant branch of Christianity, as one who spread Satanism(s).

Thomas Harding
Meaning the time when Luther first brinced to Germanie the poisoned cuppe of his heresies, blasphemies, and Satanismes.

The term was not meant to describe a faith, but was instead used pejoratively. This, however, was the common use and introduction of the word. It did originate within both Catholic and protestant churches, and later became a made-up religion often used to persecute people in the burning times.

After the burning times, Satanism continued to be an imaginary religion that the Church defined as anti-Christian in every way, inventing the concept of the “Black Mass,” a backwards parody of the Catholic Mass, which entailed using urine for wine, turnips for bread/the host, and usually a sacrificial killing.

To this day, many equate anything that offends Christian or other Abrahamic beliefs as a form of “Satanism.” Freemasonry, Thelema, and various occult beliefs had all been labeled “Satanism” at one point in time. Even those Abrahamic religions that opposed eachother—most notably the Catholic v. protestant turmoil throughout the past few hundred years—accused one another of being “Satanists.”

The very first religion that called itself “Satanism” began in the 1950’s with Anton LaVey. This inspired other groups to form and claim themselves as Satanists as well.

“Theistic Satanism is "traditional" only in the sense of reclaiming the traditional primary meaning of the word "Satanism." Most (if not all) of today's theistic Satanists are not "traditional" in the sense of having a direct lineage from any Satanist group that existed before 1966 C.E.” (D. Vera <link>)

As of yet, there is no historic evidence of any religion dubbing itself “Satanism” before LaVey gave his religion a title. Until proof can be offered, we are to assume that LaVeyan Satanism was the first actual religion to lay claim to the title.

After 1966, Theistic Satanists began to emerge. They called themselves Traditional Satanists. Unlike LaVey’s religion, Traditional Satanists claimed the belief in Satan as a deity, and for the most part, worshipped him.

An explosion of different Traditional Satanic religions that acknowledged themselves as Satanists occurred and is still going on to this very day. Some worship Satan, and others, sticking true to the ideals of the Left-Hand Path, rather revere him instead of worship him. Some require a staunch political and/or social worldview, or focus more on blaspheming Christianity than spending much time on Satan. Some who still call themselves Satanists even have decided against worshipping/revering Satan, and have instead adopted deities similar to the Christian devil from other pantheons.

It is, again, a very broad pathway, but one that is typically distinguished from LaVeyan Satanism.

I’ll be focusing on some larger forms/organizations of Traditional Satanism.

The Church of Azazel is and organization run by Diane Vera: a traditional Satanist who also attempt to educate people on the various forms of Satanism, and rejects dogmatic definitions of Satanism.

The Church of Azazel, AKA “CoAz,” believes Azazel to be Satan, yet they distinguish him from the ha-satan of the book of Job in the Christian Bible. They also used the apocryphal “Book of Enoch.” They have got an almost cannon Abrahamic view of Satan, as the god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4).

The CoAz does not believe that Satan telepathically communicates with human beings. They also feel it worthless to try to strive to become more “natural” as humans are advanced creatures who are incapable of reaching a “natural” state. They have, not unlike many other Satanists, a here-and-now mindset as opposed to having any concern for the afterlife, and striving towards an eternal reward or away from eternal punishment.

They do believe in the Christian God, YHVH as well. They do not see him as the cosmic creator, however. They see him as a war god of the Israelites, one who, by the Bible says that he is indeed a “jealous god.” YHVH is not “all-good” within this religion, nor is Satan “all-bad.” YHVH attempts to suppress human knowledge and achievement at certain points in the Bible.

They are not monotheistic. Satan/Azazel is their primary deity, however, they believe in what they call the rising gods of the modern West (Lilith, Prometheus, Ishtar, Pan, and Lucifer-of-Sophia). The gods do quarrel and have distinct personalities.

Overall, the religion is inspired by post-Copernican natural theology, Thelema, gnosis, etc.

The Temple of Set was founded by Michael Aquino, once a member of LaVey’s Church of Satan. He and a few others broke away from the Church of Satan, finding that their philosophy just was not for them, and founded one that was right for them.

The Temple of Set (ToS) equates the Egyptian Set with Satan, and Satan/Set with individuality. They worship Set, and in effect, worship their inner selves. This practice is heavily influenced from the “higher self” aspirations of Aleister Crowley’s philosophy of Thelema. The ToS believes that the entire self—not just the ego—this includes the soul, should be glorified.

Other specifics to the philosophy are that Setians believe humans to be the highest living being above all other creatures. They emphasize a good amount of their magical practices on sex, and it is implied that one who calls himself a Setian should strive to attain divinity all his own.

They do not have an established dogma aside from one’s personal dogma in regards to various scenarios, assessed with intelligence and enlightenment.

Because the ToS is highly individualistic, perhaps moreso than the Church of Satan or CoAz, it is difficult to find much outside the Temple of Set. A serious student of Setianism is best off joining the Temple of Set or speaking with those in the ToS to learn more about it. Similarly, Michael Aquino has several works online.

Pirate will add more later, when she is less lazy! Don't you just love these posts that you can tell I got too lazy to even proofread? Well, here it remains until the laziness subsides.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:54 pm
Have you ever run across the sects that assert they follow (in example if nothing else), the Questioner/Challenger pre-Jewish "Satan" figure?  

TeaDidikai

PirateEire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:19 pm
I haven't, unless you would consider Setians to be such. Otherwise, it's not unlikely that some group or individuals who carry that belief exist. Traditional Satanism is incredibly broad, and some groups might be very exclusive, and low on numbers. Many likely do not publish their beliefs in books nor online, so I would have issues researching them.

Diane Vera, who I personally consider to be the theistic Satanism guru of the intarweb, asserts in one of her essays that there are Satanists who worship Pan. I'll bet there are other Satanists who do indeed follow a pre-Jewish "Satan" figure, I just haven't had much exposure to them, unless, again, we're considering Setians to be such. Then I have met a few, in person as it were. Oddly enough, I have never met another LaVeyan Satanist in real life to my knowledge. XP

Anyway, why do you ask? I still haven't read up on Leland, mind you. I am short on time to run to Magus, the local occult bookstore. ^.~ I intend to eventually, though, when time and money are less scarce.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:15 am
PirateEire
Anyway, why do you ask? I still haven't read up on Leland, mind you.
Because I know a few. Wondering if I am just lucky or what. wink

And Leland has nothing to do with the sect I have run across.  

TeaDidikai

PirateEire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:18 am
TeaDidikai
PirateEire
Anyway, why do you ask? I still haven't read up on Leland, mind you.
Because I know a few. Wondering if I am just lucky or what. wink

And Leland has nothing to do with the sect I have run across.
Really? Do tell about this sect. My resources are severely limited at the moment, so anything I can pick up would be spectacular. ^.~  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:19 pm
The folks I know are "Recons", and they "work with" a "demi-god" out of "Middle Eastern Mythology".

Notice all the quotation marks? I'm using the terms my "friends" used. wink

In short- they assert that the being they "work with" was "acknowledged" at one point or another in most of Middle Eastern Theology, usually playing about the same role, and addressed by the same name (with due course given to the nature of the different languages in the region).

Why "work with" over worship? Because the being would ask them why they were "worshiping" him and laugh his a** off at them no matter what answer they gave. Apparently he has a sense of humor. Why "worship" a Questioner? Why not simply question in kind?

They are amusing fellows. I get along with them very well for some reason. whee  

TeaDidikai

Kalyani Srijoi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:17 am
TeaDidikai

They are amusing fellows. I get along with them very well for some reason. whee

cuz ur satan lololololol

Out of curiosity, Eire, is atheism an actual requirement to be considered a LaVeyan Satanist, or is the religion just lacking in an opinion on God, and Atheism is the default?

I ask because I wonder if it would technically be possible to be a Wiccan Satanist. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:35 pm
Kalyani Srijoi

I ask because I wonder if it would technically be possible to be a Wiccan Satanist. xd
Trick question.

Can I play the Leland card now?  

TeaDidikai

Kalyani Srijoi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:04 am
TeaDidikai
Kalyani Srijoi

Trick question.

Can I play the Leland card now?

Please do.

It's me, by the way. You know. YOU KNOOOOW DUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUN.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:02 am
Kalyani Srijoi

Please do.

Well, no one group of Satanists has any more right to the title than any other group.

As a result, depending on how a given Witchcult is constructed, they may fall into the realm of "Satanist", if they can meet the qualifiers for Wicca and be a Wiccan Satanist. This is best outlined in Gardner's use of Leland's books where in Lucifer is the central God.  

TeaDidikai

Kalyani Srijoi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:19 am
TeaDidikai
Kalyani Srijoi

Please do.

Well, no one group of Satanists has any more right to the title than any other group.

As a result, depending on how a given Witchcult is constructed, they may fall into the realm of "Satanist", if they can meet the qualifiers for Wicca and be a Wiccan Satanist. This is best outlined in Gardner's use of Leland's books where in Lucifer is the central God.

Yeah, but it's not the Milton/Judeo-Christian Lucifer, right? It's the Greek Lucifer. Is there any connection between those two, really, besides the name?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:23 am
Kalyani Srijoi
Out of curiosity, Eire, is atheism an actual requirement to be considered a LaVeyan Satanist, or is the religion just lacking in an opinion on God, and Atheism is the default?

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm guilty of neglecting the guild, and Gaia as a whole as I have just discovered a sickeningly fun video game. razz

Anyway, yes, atheism is a requirement. The Satanic Bibler outlines LaVeyan Satanism's stance on God and any other deity for that matter. In one chapter, LaVey talks about how gods are created by mankind due to poor egos. In another, he addresses a misconception: "It is a popular misconception that the Satanist does not believe in God." In that chapter, he redefines "God," not as a deity, but as a force instead.

So, by popular definition, LaVeyan Satanism is atheistic, per that it does not believe in nor acknowledge any deity.  

PirateEire

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 pm
Kalyani Srijoi

Yeah, but it's not the Milton/Judeo-Christian Lucifer, right? It's the Greek Lucifer. Is there any connection between those two, really, besides the name?
Doesn't need to be a connection to be valid, but one might be able to draw connections anyway- after all, the Jewish faith did with other mythos prior to Satan's mention in Job.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:31 pm
TeaDidikai
Kalyani Srijoi

Doesn't need to be a connection to be valid, but one might be able to draw connections anyway- after all, the Jewish faith did with other mythos prior to Satan's mention in Job.

You don't need to be able to draw a connection for it to be valid?

Am I not understanding something about the greek god Lucifer? You lost me here. If there's no connection between the greek god and Milton's Lucifer, what's the connection between the greek god and Satan?  

Kalyani Srijoi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:13 am
Kalyani Srijoi
TeaDidikai
Kalyani Srijoi

You don't need to be able to draw a connection for it to be valid?
In so much that the title of "Satanists" has no set universal definitation- correct.  
PathWays

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff