What the heck is SKA?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wundii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:44 am
I know I ain't a member but I'll post this anyway -

I've seen many of my favourite bands described as ska, but I myself have never heard real ska. So can anyone give me some guide to what ska is. I know it has something to do with reggae, but I don't understand how it has anything to do with psychobilly and rockabilly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:10 pm
Psychobilly is ******** awsome! I love the Nekromantix, Tiger Army and the Klingonz... The horror pops are okay sometimes but my ex-friend ruined them for me...  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

xdemonicallyxyours13x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:13 pm
sorry i got off topic...  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:05 pm
It is.. biggrin You are the first psychobilly liker I've met in Gaia!

Nokromantix rules all <3

Wundii

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:14 am
I'll describe it to you in 3 different ways.

1rst wave ska: The first form of Ska was in 1950's in the middle of Kingston, Jamica. The musis was upbeat and happy, and got everybody, no matter how rich or poor, to come together and dance and have fun.
Overall, the music sounded like happier more upbeat reggae ( although ska came before reggae did) Some common artists are: Lord Tanamo, Desmond Dekker, Dandy Livingston, and Prince Buster

2nd wave ska: The second wave hit England in the late 1960's/early 1970's. The traditional vibe to ska mixed with British punk and jazz music. Bands like The Specials, Madness, and The Selector came about.

3rd wave ska: 3rd wave ska was when ska hit America in the really late 1980's, and was extremly popular throughout the 90's, untill 1997. But the ska played by American bands sounded nothing like the Jamican or British ska, but WAY more punkier and fast. Bands like: The Toasters, Reel Big Fish, Catch 22, and Less Thank Jake became very popular to young adults, and teens.

Personally, I can't stand 3rd wave ska, because it sounds nothing like it's roots.

If you ever have ANY questions, feel free to send me a message anytime  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:04 pm
Could have yo do with the up beat of psychobilly and rockabilly that is kinda like ska upbeats confused i dunno  

asianska104

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:11 am
Well... this is my deffinition:

The Orgasm of Music.  
Rude Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items