Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Do Jews/Christians/Muslims worship the same god?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eshmasesh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:41 pm
I don't know if this is an appropraite question for the guild, since it's about abrahamic faiths...but it's one I'd like an answer for please ^^

I'm inclined to believe that they are separate, but, they aren't that different considering that the religions share with one-another. Which is wierd. I mean, if they all worship the same diety with different interpretations...does that mean the god isn't a trinity by Christian belief?

I'd love any input domokun  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:22 pm
They are theoretically all worshipping the same god YHWH though each will tell you the one that came next followed heretical teachings and often claim they follow a different god. Tea could also give you a bunch of reasons why Christians really were following Ahura Mazda I believe it was but then she could explain things better.

Judaism holds that Christians came up with some crazy polytheistic stuff. Christianity mostly believe in the trinity though it isn't a belief all of it has. Hmm generally I think Christians often believe that the trinity hadn't been revealed to Judaism yet though I may be wrong. And then Islam says Christianity made up some polytheistic junk.

All three acknowledge the same mythology and cite the same god as their god which makes it likely that they worship the same god.  

Fae Nikki

Eshmasesh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:27 pm
Fae Nikki
They are theoretically all worshipping the same god YHWH though each will tell you the one that came next followed heretical teachings and often claim they follow a different god. Tea could also give you a bunch of reasons why Christians really were following Ahura Mazda I believe it was but then she could explain things better.

Judaism holds that Christians came up with some crazy polytheistic stuff. Christianity mostly believe in the trinity though it isn't a belief all of it has. Hmm generally I think Christians often believe that the trinity hadn't been revealed to Judaism yet though I may be wrong. And then Islam says Christianity made up some polytheistic junk.

All three acknowledge the same mythology and cite the same god as their god which makes it likely that they worship the same god.
If they all worship the same god...does this mean that god will be mad at them, depending on which one is right? Like, if Christianity was right, would all Jews and Muslims go to hell for not accepting Jesus as the way to god?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:36 pm
Eshmasesh
If they all worship the same god...does this mean that god will be mad at them, depending on which one is right? Like, if Christianity was right, would all Jews and Muslims go to hell for not accepting Jesus as the way to god?
Believe majority of doctrine in Christianity and Islam would say yes though hell isn't quite what most believe it is. Judaism doesn't try to convert and doesn't have the same penalty system so no.  

Fae Nikki

Eshmasesh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:40 pm
Fae Nikki
Eshmasesh
Believe majority of doctrine in Christianity and Islam would say yes though hell isn't quite what most believe it is. Judaism doesn't try to convert and doesn't have the same penalty system so no.
Well, I knew that about Judaism. There isn't even a hell in Judaism. Jews are the bomb dramallama  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:19 am
All 3 claim to worship the God of Abraham...
They just have different takes on that particular God.
Heck, there are even some Zoroastrians and all Baha'i also claim the same diety.

Christians tend to believe that Jeushua (Jesus) was Adonai made flesh, and incarnation of the God of Abraham. Muslims accept Isa (Jesus again) as a prophet, but say the Christians BSed his death and teachings. He was a Rabbi of the Jewish faith. Christians and Jews both scoff at Mohammed as variably a blasphemer, a heretic, or a nutbar. Zoroastrians tend to believe whatever their Muslim masters tell them to. The Baha'i reject the idea of trinity, and embrace a single God who sent many teachers, including Siddhartha Gautama, and all of them had a valid part of the whole message, but that the other religions are incomplete for not viewing the whole picture.

The Jews tend to wonder why everyone thinks they can just Co-opt their God, as they are Shem's chosen people, and react with variable levels of amusement or offense at others trying to steal their god, or put words into his mouth.

I like to think of it in metaphor...
With YHVH being a guy who traveled alot, and had a girl in every port...
The Jews were his first kids...
Then the Christians got co-opted...
Islam came along next...
The Zoroastrians got their parents killed, and Islam adopted them as sort of a poor half-sibling.
Then Baha'i and several others...
And, like many siblings who share a single Father (whom they worship and adore), they despise the other sibblings for claiming to be "Daddy's favourite". whee  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:25 am
Everything that Fiddler said- plus the Eck. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:27 pm
The Eck? sweatdrop
Was ist dass?  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:35 pm
Fiddlers Green
The Eck? sweatdrop
Was ist dass?

Other than the noise a cat makes before it throws up?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:16 pm
TeaDidikai

Oh dear me... sweatdrop  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:23 pm
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

Oh dear me... sweatdrop
I've been thinking about making a thread about them in M&R.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:32 pm
TeaDidikai

I couldn't find, do they actually claim the God of Abraham, or are they just pseudo-apotheois monotheists? confused  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:13 pm
Fiddlers Green
TeaDidikai

I couldn't find, do they actually claim the God of Abraham, or are they just pseudo-apotheois monotheists? confused
The only Eckist I have every spoken to says that "They don't feel they should get trapped in the name of God".

In short- (given the person was semi-high ranking in the religion's structure), they claim to have the same god.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:48 pm
Just read fiddler's post. That makes much more sense now, especially with the analogy 3nodding Thanks!  

Eshmasesh

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff