Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Vodun anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:15 pm
Hello fellow guild members, I am in need of some assistance. My mother and I recently watched a show about Vodun (Voodoo for the mass reconition) and was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites or books about this religion. I've accually been intrested in it for a while, but it is very hard to find good information on it.

Thank you for your time.

Dragon  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:49 am
Depends on what aspects you are interested in.

There are over fifteen different "sects" that get lumped under the title of "Voodoo" by the unwashed masses. wink

While most books are pretty darn fluffy, a couple books here and there have good chapters on certain aspects of practice.  

TeaDidikai

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:50 pm
TeaDidikai
Depends on what aspects you are interested in.

There are over fifteen different "sects" that get lumped under the title of "Voodoo" by the unwashed masses. wink

While most books are pretty darn fluffy, a couple books here and there have good chapters on certain aspects of practice.

Oh wow, I didn't know there were so many sects. The only thing I've really seen about Voodoo is one or two specials on it on t.v., most of that information revolves around New Orleans and Marie Laveau.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:12 pm
My local Ifa group recommended Divine Horsemen. Good book.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:20 pm
[Kudzu]
My local Ifa group recommended Divine Horsemen. Good book.
Do you have an author for that book? I'm having a hard time finding it.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:47 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Kudzu
Divine Horsemen
Do you have an author for that book?

Maya Deren  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:58 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman

Oh wow, I didn't know there were so many sects. The only thing I've really seen about Voodoo is one or two specials on it on t.v., most of that information revolves around New Orleans and Marie Laveau.

Well- like I said, there are at least that many.

Some of the different groups have more in common than not. Others are vastly different.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:54 pm
TeaDidikai
Dragon_Witch_Woman

Well- like I said, there are at least that many.

Some of the different groups have more in common than not. Others are vastly different.
I'd probably be best off looking up New Orleans style Voodoo, seeing if that in itself has different sects, because I do know that is different from Haitian style Voodoo. ]
]
@[Kudzu] Thanks  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:55 pm
I believe it's properly spelt Voudoun, being French-ish.

Mama Loa is the book I read about Voudoun in. It's about a Haitian Voudouienne who lived, I think, in Georgia. It covers many of the main Loa (my favorite, always and forever, is Papa Gede). There are a lot of Voudoun and Santeria groups; there's a local one, but I've yet to see if I can gardner an invitation via my contacts.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:00 pm
Deoridhe

Mama Loa is the book I read about Voudoun in. It's about a Haitian Voudouienne who lived, I think, in Georgia. It covers many of the main Loa (my favorite, always and forever, is Papa Gede). There are a lot of Voudoun and Santeria groups; there's a local one, but I've yet to see if I can gardner an invitation via my contacts.
She wasn't on Tybee Island was she? eek  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:24 pm
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

She wasn't on Tybee Island was she? eek

Nope, fairly certains he was inner city. There were references to her hongun (is that the right word?) being in the basement and such.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:26 pm
Deoridhe

Nope, fairly certains he was inner city.
Okay. Not the one I knew then, unless she moved when I wasn't looking.

Quote:
There were references to her hongun (is that the right word?) being in the basement and such.
Haven't read the book and I don't have enough information to see if her sect would spell it such (not sure I would know any better being dyslexic if it weren't).  

TeaDidikai

Sivirs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:19 am
Deoridhe
There were references to her hongun (is that the right word?) being in the basement and such.

I *think* it's houngan, but don't take my word for it. stare  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff