Reply ~.The Atheist Guild.~
Pledge under constitution or god? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nicky250

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:20 am
I hate these damn teachers that don't follow the rules or the constitution. In the constitution it says we have freedom of our own beliefs or religion.
So why I ask are we forced to recite the pledge of allegiance every day? The school board in my area passed a rule saying that we do not have to say the pledge if it is against our beliefs. Well, apparently that rule wasn't enforced very well, because my friend got suspended for not reciting it. The teacher not only went against the rule of the school board, but also against the constitution. I don't recite the pledge because I do not think we are all under "god".  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:14 am
as i'm british i don't have to recite the pledge! phew! sweatdrop  

[x] Natasha [x]

Un-Hugged Child

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:02 pm
honestly me being Atheist and all I dont belive we are all under one god... but at the very same time i look at the Pledge of Allegiance (sp?) as me pledging my life and my duty to America... So I do it every day as well... then agian I am also in a French homeroom and she makes us all say it in French to help pratice the language so I think it is something my entire class should do...  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:17 am
[x] Natasha [x]

That makes two of us. Anyway what about our national anthem? It says "God save the queen." Not only am I against the god bit but to hell with the queen! I don't get why she's so important. Royalty used to rule countries but now they seem to just make jam and act as if they help the country in some way. We have the goverment now! You are redundant now!  

Cloud0.0Strife

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:32 pm
Whew, lucky you. But god save the queen isn't that much better I guess.

Well, just saying it doesn't mean you believe it. Personally I just don't say under god.

I think the word atheist is sorta harsh (anti), I prefer non-theist.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:17 am
"under god" was actually added to the pledge back in the 1950's i think. it's not how the pledge was originally written. it's a pledge to the united states, not god. i'm not very happy with the way my country is run right now, but it's one of the best damn countries to live in, so i'll say the pledge, but leave out god.  

redtail2
Crew

dark_water_priestess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:28 pm
I disagree with the "under god" aspect of the pledge as well as the part about pledging myself to america. I'm not a big fan of the way our government is run, but I can't really complain because it's not like I could do any better. Still, I'll pledge myself to only certain things, if any, and the U.S. (or any country that I may live in) is certainly not one of them....I'm not too big on the whole patriotic scene.

On the first day of school, when i refused to stand for the pledge, one of my teachers came up to me and kept on asking me why I wasn't standing up and if I had special permission from the principal to not say it. However, she didn't say anything to the other guy in my class that doesn't stand for the pledge (he's also my only atheist buddy). I tried to tell her that I didn't have to stand up like 4 times but she wouldn't listen, but she never said anything about it later so I guess she found out I was right....

When I was in German, the teacher tried to make us say the pledge in German. Again, my atheist buddy (his name's Willy) and I tried to explain to her that we didn't have to say the pledge. It was funny, though, because she said, "Not saying the pledge is almost as bad as being an atheist!!" Haha we laughed at that. That teacher was a modern-day teacher-nazi, I swear....  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:57 pm
Cloud0.0Strife
[x] Natasha [x]

That makes two of us. Anyway what about our national anthem? It says "God save the queen." Not only am I against the god bit but to hell with the queen! I don't get why she's so important. Royalty used to rule countries but now they seem to just make jam and act as if they help the country in some way. We have the goverment now! You are redundant now!

very true..but if the government wanted to gety rid of the monarchy then they could, it's in their power to do so...also our country isn't as democratic a we like to think it is.  

[x] Natasha [x]

Cloud0.0Strife

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:52 am
Well I am just a simple know-nothing teen so I don't really get it all.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:44 am
Cloud0.0Strife
Well I am just a simple know-nothing teen so I don't really get it all.

lol, me too! i'm just trying to act clever! >.<  

[x] Natasha [x]

Cloud0.0Strife

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:18 am
Some people think I'm clever. Which I am but they over estimate how capable I am. At school we have sets for math so pople in set 1 get the hardest work and 4 the easiest. Anyway I'm in set 1 but I've been finding really hard. I was there in year 7 but moved down after a couple of months but then in year 8 I moved back up. I was there for all of year 9 and now a few months into year 10 I wanna go down. I talked to the head of the maths department to see if he would let me go to set 2 but because he ws my teacher in year 8 he thinks that I'm better than I am. He said he knows I'm capable of doin set 1 work but I don't think I am. My teacher said I didn't deserve to be in the set aswell. Admitedly that ws because I didn't copy down some notes and my writing is shite. But still, I should move down!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:35 am
maths is easy! i think it's mainly because i've done the all the coursework for it....not looking farward to the GCSEs in may though! we have 11 sets...i'm in set 3! >.<  

[x] Natasha [x]

Gunpowder Valentine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:47 am
I always stand to say the pledge. Well, that was back when I was in school. I think it's only right to stand for your country. If you have a problem with the 'God' part, just don't recite the words, or skip over that.

I don't see the point in starting trouble over something so trivial.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:35 pm
God Save the Queen...I'm going listen to The Sex Pistols now  

Status Quo Joe

Status Quo Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:37 pm
I refuse to Pledge under any damn Oath to a Country I have no ties to. America is a shithole...a Semi-Free Shithole but still.  
~.The Atheist Guild.~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff