Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Extended Discussion
What do your parents think? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Muted Faith9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:17 pm
I was just wondering how peoples parents reacted to their children being gothic. I mean, most parents don't like the music, the stereotypes that go with being gothic, and my parents even hate the clothing. My parents really don't know about me being gothic as they are so much against it that if they found out I would probably be disowned. So how did your parents react? Or do they even really know?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:55 pm
they dont know. in their eyes (and in the eyes of most other parents/supervisers/adults/etc.) i am a happy, perky, preppy guy who is a good artist, a fast swimmer, and a religious christian.

oh ho ho ho...if only they knew...

they can be so stupid not to notice that i am yet again wearing black...not letting them listen to my ipod...erasing things in my sketchbook before they look at it...closing windows on the computer before they walk in (mostly itunes and the like that might show anything of my hidden identity twisted )...and other stuff like that. oh boy, if they found out i was pagan they would shoot me and stuff more of the bible down my throat then they already have.

only my friends and ppl online know, which is cool for me seeing as how im also a part time magician when ppl decide they wanna hire me for attracting customers to their store etc. so i have to be somewhat upbeat  

themagikat

Muted Faith9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:14 pm
Wow someone posted
Anyway, yea, i'm always hiding my true face behind a smile when im around my parents, the guilt of saying prayers every night event though i personally don't believe in god(i dont want to go into a discussion about why) nearly kills me. I just wish my parents would let me be who i really am, I mean, they're parents, aren't they supposed to accept me regardless?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:40 pm
Oh....high school... I remember that. My mom and dad were pretty supportive of me for the most part exploring things and trying to be myself (Except my mom didn't want me buying any spell books....All well, I got the cheesy spell books anyways, sorry mom) The only really bad parts were around chirstmas time and all.... "It's not x-mas it's Yule!" "Do you want presents or no?" "...."
Yay, so I've grown very accustomed to hidding my beliefs under a thin veil. I'm very careful to avoid the subject of religion around the rest of my family, and my parents only really know a small bit about what I believe and follow. ^^* They know the basics though....and that is better than most people I suppose.

I grew more broad minded when I got older and stoped doing the "I hate all christians because they are stupid sheep following Yahwee to the slaughter" thing when I started going to college. Now I just ask them leading questions on occasion to make them think a little bit. Small random pieces of information here and there to try to help guide them towards questioning things on occasion instead of accepting things on blind faith alone. I used to get into full out arguments and debates with some of the "devote" chirstians I knew who for some odd reason still talked to me, but wanted to get me to covert.

Me and a few other pagan friends agreed to paint some animals for a church once, but we started calling ourselves the pagan work group. I even drew a star around my first inital (A) on the signature wall...... guess what? They painted over like the rude bastards they are...we stoped painted animals for them after that. xp

My mom knew my path was diverging from the norm when I started reading up on dream books in middle school. I suppose one foray into the occult kept me coming back for other topics later on in life. ^^* I went through my "I hate pink and would rather be caught dead than wearing it" thing in middle school and most of high school as well. I never really fit with the smart group even though I was intelligent, and spent time with people who were goth/skater/geek people a lot. My mom didn't seem to care about me wearing clothing that was dark a lot, but she did get worried about my attitude sliding into the darkness, and the depression that came with it for a while. My self esteem was tenious at best, and non existant at worst for quite some time during high school.

It was kindof an interesting paralell in some ways because as my brother went super christian for a while, I was moving more towards the occult. Our paths moved in two very different directions quickly. I think of everyone, he was the person I spoke to about things the least. ^^*

If anyone has ever seen the pictures of "Goth Week 99" My mom was the one who took the pictures of me for me if that is any indication of how supportive she could be. She actually somewhat embraced it in some ways because I would actually get more hyper and happy when clad in black than in "normal" clothing. ^_^ I'm just strange like that though.

I'm sure you didn't expect such a long or drawn out explination on things, but this is still a brief summery, trust me.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Muted Faith9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:56 pm
I'm in middle school right now (well sumemr break but whatever) and it really bugs me how little tolerance anyone has for idea's that differ from theirs, for example we had a school blogging project and i put up something about my support of gay-marriage, i know carry the nickname"Mr. gay"(yea really creative guys). But How homophobic they are is starting to get me as i am starting to believe that i might be bisexual, but im oyung and it will most likely pass, but if it doesn't these next years really won't be fun.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:59 pm
muted faith9
I'm in middle school right now (well sumemr break but whatever) and it really bugs me how little tolerance anyone has for idea's that differ from theirs, for example we had a school blogging project and i put up something about my support of gay-marriage, i know carry the nickname"Mr. gay"(yea really creative guys). But How homophobic they are is starting to get me as i am starting to believe that i might be bisexual, but im oyung and it will most likely pass, but if it doesn't these next years really won't be fun.

Of all my years of school, I have actively tried to forget middle school the most. High school is better once you get used to it. Yeah, middle school is the general cess pool of bigots now isn't it? Sadly most people are too afraid to admit to being different in middle school because they all want to fit in, so the few who do not conform get ragged on all the more... I hope you loose the nickname but keep the open mind as you graduate .  

lurichan
Vice Captain

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:14 pm
ha... i haven't started to wear all black or anything yet, though I want to, and get my ears pierced too... I told my parents about this and they actually are willing to let me go through my "dark phase" cuz they are cool like that... 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:16 pm
Sirek
ha... i haven't started to wear all black or anything yet, though I want to, and get my ears pierced too... I told my parents about this and they actually are willing to let me go through my "dark phase" cuz they are cool like that... 3nodding

That is pretty cool and open minded of them. ^_^  

lurichan
Vice Captain

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:20 pm
lurichan
Sirek

I know, but they want me to wait till im 19 (just one year) before the ear piercing, because they want me to think it over, and if I still want it when I turn 19 I can have my ears pierced if I so desire.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:23 pm
Sirek
lurichan
Sirek

I know, but they want me to wait till im 19 (just one year) before the ear piercing, because they want me to think it over, and if I still want it when I turn 19 I can have my ears pierced if I so desire.

Ear piecing really isn't so bad, it's just the first few months of upkeep to make sure they don't get infected that is the difficult part. ^^* It is good to take some time to think about it, but the stigma that used to be attached to guys that pierced their ears isn't nearly as harsh as it used to be.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

IraMorti

Demonic Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:31 pm
yeah thank God for that... (or don't... if you don't believe in him...) seriously the business world so stereotypes people on how they look... o.o;  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:42 pm
Sirek
yeah thank God for that... (or don't... if you don't believe in him...) seriously the business world so stereotypes people on how they look... o.o;

I refuse to sterotype someone based mearly upon outward apperances, for they can be deciving. One of the reasons I enjoy this guild so much is that the original creator believes in not sterotyping people period. ^_^ I've been following this since the original thread. ^_^ Anways to stay on topic....

A lot of parents that sterotype their child's life choices based soley on the images portrayed by the media need to be sat down and talked to for a long time. They need to be told that just because their child has chosen a path different from the norm it doesn't mean that they are "Bad" or "evil". A good one on one/two discussion with mom and dad to clear the air a little can sometimes help a lot as long as it can be kept constructive. The problems usually arise when mom or dad "discovers" that their child isn't normal and tries to confront them about it. That usually just escalates into a screaming match and usually culminates into a "I hate you" and slamed door. The best way to win some parents over is to educate them in a non confrontational manner about your choices, and to let them know that you are indeed still their child, but you need to agree to disagree on certain issues. Granted, some parents will still be closed mined on such things, but it does have a better chance of sucess than a breakdown in communication, and can even have potential benifits like feeling closer afterwards. ^_^
I know I rather enjoyed some of my talks with my mom over religion. Granted she looks at things from a broad based monothesitic prospective, while I look at things from quite a few different angles, but we can still agree that some priciples in christianity were good, they just weren't applied properly.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

[ D i z z y ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:30 am
Omg. My mother supports my Gothic-ness. She acutally picks me up wicca-spellbooks, oujia-boards, and chains and stuff..... And the scariest part is that she not into the Goth stuff at all (shes the adverage mother, only a hell lot nicer). She's probably like this because she wants me to be... comfortable in my own skin. She doesn't mind if I dress Goth or listen to black-metal or the like, as long as I don't do drugs or hang out with bad people. Another reason might be, is that her best friend growing up was into Wicca alot. My father, on the otherhand, doesn't say much about it, and I don't hink he really cares. confused  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:19 pm
my mommy likes to wear my staightjacket to work.
but she yells at me because of the very very very heavy amount of makeup i wear. and she listens to my music and sings along with me (except for the screaming parts. thats my job.)  

plain_goth

[ D i z z y ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:25 pm
plain_goth
my mommy likes to wear my staightjacket to work.
but she yells at me because of the very very very heavy amount of makeup i wear. and she listens to my music and sings along with me (except for the screaming parts. thats my job.)

WOW. Lucky. eek  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 18 19 20 21 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces