Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
De-stickying of the BritPol thread. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:55 am
Our politics sticky in the ED-P subforum has been unsticked, unfortunately with the sheer weight of American political discussion this means that it will invaribly be forced to the rearmost pages of the forum.

I have written to Danjel, the Moderator responsible for the subforum, and asked if he can expand on the matter. I know him from my time in the Gaia Nazi Guild (which, incidentally, we have recently overtaken) and he seems to be a generally sensible person.

If you wish to argue, you may PM Danjel with a statement suggesting the threads restickyng. Though do not spam.

If you have little time, you may simply PM in support of my message and reaffirm that I speak for the majority of British Gaians.

Thankyou,

Invictus

Quote:
Sir,

I understand that there is no need for a General Election thread in the ED Politics subforum because the election is long-gone and the aftermath has indeed died down.

However by request of British gaians of ED Politics, the thread had changed purpose about a week ago to reflect the end of election-fever and to provide a base for discussion of British political issues. It was felt that British Politics was so under-represented in the forum that a sticky for discussion of British politics was needed.

Isolated threads for discussion rarely work well because they are invariably forced to the rearward pages by the massive level of USA political discussion, understandably this had led to British gaians becoming disillusioned with the ED Politics subforum and leaving.

The BritPol sticky served them well and helped to bring together members who would otherwise have given up on the subforum.

Whould it be best for ED Politics and for many of the Britons on Gaia if the BritPol thread were re-stickied to stop it being constantly pushed to the rearmost pages of the forum? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Regards,

Invictus_88
(GC, Gaian British Guild)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:47 am
Will do, even although I've never even actually seen the thread. Just when I can be bothered. xd  

Gaulia

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:06 am
danjel
Invictus_88
It was felt that British Politics was so under-represented in the forum that a sticky for discussion of British politics was needed.

Isolated threads for discussion rarely work well because they are invariably forced to the rearward pages by the massive level of USA political discussion, understandably this had led to British gaians becoming disillusioned with the ED Politics subforum and leaving.

The BritPol sticky served them well and helped to bring together members who would otherwise have given up on the subforum.

Whould it be best for ED Politics and for many of the Britons on Gaia if the BritPol thread were re-stickied to stop it being constantly pushed to the rearmost pages of the forum? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter.

Should we, then, do the same for Australian politics? HK politics? French Politics? South African politics? And so on and so forth? Exactly how many stickies should we have? Or should British politics be the exception?

We're not too keen on this.

Sir,

It is not a question of national supremacy, placing the interest of my own nation more highly than that of any other.

It is simply that British politics has very considerable importance on the world's political stage. An importance which cannot be reflected on the front page because of the great prevalence of US discussion and US repeat threads.

Britain is the only other nation with enough members and enough of an international importance to warrant a stickied thread in the ED Politics subforum.

I was under the impression that the facts above would likely cause the BritPol thread to remain a sticky anyway, even without people having to contact you about it.

Now you know that it is not a case of putting one nation above another, are you likely to reconsider?

Regards,

Invictus_88
(GC, Gaian British Guild)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:40 pm
Oh, he's going to get a nasty Pm now I'm back... twisted  

Nebelstern
Crew

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:49 pm
Well, no-one actually posted there, but lets complain anyway.

THE BASTARDS!!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:06 pm
Nebelstern
Oh, he's going to get a nasty Pm now I'm back... twisted

And, sent. I hope that it helps...
I sent you a copy, Francis.
neutral  

Nebelstern
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:15 pm
I may send a pm as soon as I can be arsed.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:23 pm
whapcapn

Same here.  

Arivel

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:25 pm
Arivel
whapcapn

Same here.

ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:29 pm
Nebelstern
Dear Sir,

It has been brought to my attention that the Britpol thread has indeed been de-stickied. I feel that this is, whilst being quite unfair due to the changed title of the thread, is undermining the ongoing nature of British politics.

I do realise that other countries would equally require politics threads, however, they appear not to be making a similar effort to promote or discuss their politics as we have in the past few months.

I believe, that whilst providing information on the nature and news surrounding British politics, the thread also provides an excellent rallying point for British gaians to talk and discuss points of a political nature.

Please consider how much this means to many British gaians; as we make up a major constituant of the Gaia network, and USA politics seems to pervade the Political sub-forum to an extent so as to make British politics a welcome alternative.

Thankyou for reading this,
Nebelstern
(Gaian British Guild Member, Gaian Literary Elitist Alliance Guild Owner)

Here it is, you may use it to help craft your own. Likewise for my own letter.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:03 am
danjel
Invictus_88
danjel
Should we, then, do the same for Australian politics? HK politics? French Politics? South African politics? And so on and so forth? Exactly how many stickies should we have? Or should British politics be the exception?

Quote:
It is simply that British politics has very considerable importance on the world's political stage. An importance which cannot be reflected on the front page because of the great prevalence of US discussion and US repeat threads.

If the UK is so important, then you should feel free to create threads in ED-P just as anyone else does.

Quote:
Britain is the only other nation with enough members and enough of an international importance to warrant a stickied thread in the ED Politics subforum.

Incorrect. First of all, there are more Canadians and Australians and almost as many Singaporeans on Gaia. Second, no group of members justifies, above any other group, having it's very own dedicated sticky thread; that is the purpose for which the guilds exist.

Quote:
I was under the impression that the facts above would likely cause the BritPol thread to remain a sticky anyway, even without people having to contact you about it.

It is not the standard practise on Gaia, and it is not even acceptable in terms of the justifications you have given.

Quote:
Now you know that it is not a case of putting one nation above another, are you likely to reconsider?

You have yet to demonstrate this to me.

BTW, getting your guildmates to fill my inbox is not a good way to get on my good side.

rolleyes

There you have it, a copy&paste of the latest PM. It looks like Illy was right.
..he really is too far up his own arse to see sense.
I'll make a "BritPol Mk.II" thread or something later, it'll have a small link to the original just for the sake of history but it will be specially tailored to the ED Politics subforum rather than being an edited General Election one.

Also, almost as many Singaporeans on Gaia as British? Hm, I'm sceptical..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:07 am
Pfft. b*****d. He could at least be a little understanding. I thought I made my reply nice and un-offensive. Americans just don't appreciate decent British letter-writing. neutral  

Nebelstern
Crew

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:10 am
Invictus_88
danjel
Invictus_88
danjel

Quote:

If the UK is so important, then you should feel free to create threads in ED-P just as anyone else does.

Quote:

Incorrect. First of all, there are more Canadians and Australians and almost as many Singaporeans on Gaia. Second, no group of members justifies, above any other group, having it's very own dedicated sticky thread; that is the purpose for which the guilds exist.

Quote:

It is not the standard practise on Gaia, and it is not even acceptable in terms of the justifications you have given.

Quote:

You have yet to demonstrate this to me.

BTW, getting your guildmates to fill my inbox is not a good way to get on my good side.

rolleyes

There you have it, a copy&paste of the latest PM. It looks like Illy was right.
..he really is too far up his own arse to see sense.
I'll make a "BritPol Mk.II" thread or something later, it'll have a small link to the original just for the sake of history but it will be specially tailored to the ED Politics subforum rather than being an edited General Election one.

Also, almost as many Singaporeans on Gaia as British? Hm, I'm sceptical..

I must say, I have yet to come across any, and why would 3 extra stickies instead of 1 be so bad anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:57 am
BritPol Mk.II (The British Politics Thread)  

Invictus_88
Captain

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:29 pm
Bah...can hardly say I am surprised. ~sigh~ Shame he can't seem to be anything other than unpleasant to 'mere' Gaia patrons... sad  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games