Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
British views on abortion. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:08 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:40 am
I don't know what PSHE is, so if this point is irrelevant, ignore me. But not all Pro-lifers are christian. Or even religious. Many of them wouldn't particularly care what the Book of Leviticus said about it. To make this essay more of a complete argument, you should spend more time focussing on non-religious arguments.

That said, I do agree with you, and you've made some good points.

and_solo_said
Abortion is murder, goodbye

It's funny, but when you argue a point that well, I find myself automatically disagreeing with you, regardless of how I feel on the matter.
Look at it this way. A 13 year old girl gets raped, and ends up getting pregnant. If she has the baby, her education will most likely go out the window, as she won't have the time or the money to go to school AND raise her baby. She'll also find it very hard to get a well-paying job. As she is alone, poor and far too young for motherhood, her child won't do too well out of it either. It'll be raised in relative poverty, and being only 13 years younger than its mother, she'll have a hard time controlling it. I'm not even going to go on with this example, you can clearly see it's heading nowhere good.  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:44 am
Erix Griffon
I don't know what PSHE is, so if this point is irrelevant, ignore me. But not all Pro-lifers are christian. Or even religious. Many of them wouldn't particularly care what the Book of Leviticus said about it. To make this essay more of a complete argument, you should spend more time focussing on non-religious arguments.

That said, I do agree with you, and you've made some good points.

and_solo_said
Abortion is murder, goodbye

It's funny, but when you argue a point that well, I find myself automatically disagreeing with you, regardless of how I feel on the matter.
Look at it this way. A 13 year old girl gets raped, and ends up getting pregnant. If she has the baby, her education will most likely go out the window, as she won't have the time or the money to go to school AND raise her baby. She'll also find it very hard to get a well-paying job. As she is alone, poor and far too young for motherhood, her child won't do too well out of it either. It'll be raised in relative poverty, and being only 13 years younger than its mother, she'll have a hard time controlling it. I'm not even going to go on with this example, you can clearly see it's heading nowhere good.
I agree with that, but if the mother is having an abortion solely because she doesnt want a child, that is murder. If she is very young, and has been raped, or has a disease that could be passed on to the child, the mother will need to have an abortion, whether it is murder or not
PSHE, by the way, is Personal, Social and Health Education

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:52 am
Unfortunately, as with most (all?) moral issues, there is no black and white, just varying shades of grey. In some circumstances, yes, it is morally justified. In others it isn't.

I don't think the blanket approach (It's legal! It's illegal! It's immoral! It's ok!) can really be applied.  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:11 am
It's not okay to force people to relinquish control over their bodies for something that can't even think.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:31 am
I personally have no qualms about abortion. I agree with the view that if a woman is raped then she should have the right to be able to abort her foetus. I also agree with the 'lesser of two evils' way that Muslims view on the matter. The woman could always have more babies, whereas the foetus could not; if the woman is at risk and dies from childbirth, then the baby would grow up without a real blood mother.  

Nebelstern
Crew

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:24 am
Fine, edit time, abortion is murder with these exceptions:

1)Rape enduced pregnancy
2)If they will both die in the birthing
3)If the child is the son of Satan, or Jesus

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:18 am
Erix Griffon

Ever heard of Adoption?  

Arivel

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:32 am
Arivel
Erix Griffon

Ever heard of Adoption?
yes, but some are against that.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:35 am
Indie_Chick
Arivel
Erix Griffon

Ever heard of Adoption?

They prefer murder?  

and_solo_said

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:37 am
and_solo_said
Indie_Chick
Arivel
Erix Griffon

Ever heard of Adoption?

They prefer murder?
Well, the child might be unhappy living with adopted parents, and it'd cause hassle when they found out. I dont feel this way ( i cant be anti abortion and anti adoption) but i know some who do.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:38 am
To be honest, I'm totally and utterly pro-choice.

Abortion isn't wrong. It's not murder, because you can't kill something which never really had a life in the first place.
I know a twelve year old who got pregnant and had an abortion. After thinking that it was pretty disgusting - she wasn't raped or anything - I actually thought that it's better than her having the kid, and giving it a somewhat poor quality of life, knowing she wouldn't be able to look after it. On top of that, she'd be ruining her own education.
Abortion can be stupid [more for getting pregnant in the first place], but definately not wrong.

Now she's fourteen, and she's pregnant again. She's keeping the baby this time, though. She can't look after the baby while she's at school, so what's she meant to do? Stay off of school to look after it? She can't TAKE it to school, and it'd be unfair to tell her mother or father that either of them have to stay off of work to look after her mistake. On top of that, the father is no longer interested. When this girl is twenty-five, her child will be eleven years old. How will she support her child, because it's gaurenteed to mess up her education to some degree or another. And without a decent education, she'd be lucky to get a decent job to support her child.

Sometimes it's best for the mother and the baby.

The point about rape has already been made, I feel no need to repeat it.

And on top of that, no matter what the age is, some people just aren't ready for a baby. Twenty year olds, thirty year olds.. And if they have a baby which they don't want, how's the kid going to grow up? Isn't it better to wait until you want a kid, so that you can be ready and really love it?

A bunch of cells, whilst technically alive, never really had a life. It doesn't think, or feel. It's not murder.
If abortion was murder, it'd be illegal.  

Gaulia

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:38 am
Indie_Chick
and_solo_said
Indie_Chick
Arivel
Erix Griffon

Ever heard of Adoption?

They prefer murder?
Well, the child might be unhappy living with adopted parents, and it'd cause hassle when they found out. I dont feel this way ( i cant be anti abortion and anti adoption) but i know some who do.

My grandparents are against my uncle adopting, but the girls he got were being abused, why should anyone be against their extracation?  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:43 am
and_solo_said
Indie_Chick
and_solo_said
Indie_Chick
Arivel
Erix Griffon

Ever heard of Adoption?

They prefer murder?

My grandparents are against my uncle adopting, but the girls he got were being abused, why should anyone be against their extracation?
I meant if the child is put up for adoption just because the mum doesnt want him/her, not if theyre being abused or anything  

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:46 am
a raped 12 year old should have an abortion, definitely, and so should one who wasnt raped. She's been stupid and got herself in a mess, but really se should get herself out of it.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games